Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HDTV question?

6-KINGS Guest

HDTV question?

I am looking to buy a 32 inch wide screen HDTV 16:9, 720p, HDMI all the whistles.

Can anybody suggest a good one?

And for you packer fans HDTV is high definition television.
    And no HDTV does not mean a longer discription in the dictionary about TV's.It's better quality TV.
    For you it's like sleeping with a stranger you hillbillies kidnapped instead of your own mother.

You newman's know what a tv is right?
    It's that square talking box in the Dr's office.
    And no it is not your fat sister quiffing when you sleep with her.

6-KINGS

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: HDTV question?

Funny post!

The best one you can get is the one you get for free!

6-KINGS Guest

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Funny post!

The best one you can get is the one you get for free!

So Sir Ultra has "connections"
    Say no more.......nudge, nudge, wink wink.

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

6-Kings,

I've been shopping for one too. I don't know what kind of $$$ you want to spend, but In a few hours of research and a couple of trips to Best Buy and Circuit city, I've determined that I like this Sony the best.

it's a 30" CRT, but the picture is crisp and you don't have the longevity issues associated with the plasma screens. It's also less expensive than comparable LCD HDTVs. I haven't come across too many LCDs in the 32" size. But there are a few: JVC, Phillips, and Insignia all make ~32" LCD screens. But they're more expensive, if only slightly, and, in my opinion, the picture quality -- it's brightness and crispness of the image -- from the CRT Sony I mentioned above is superior to the 32" LCD screens that are available.

If you can sport it, there is a 36" version of that SONY thats several hundred more. At the end of the month, I'm going to buy one of these machines. It will depend on how supportive my wife is.

"6-KINGS" wrote:
    I am looking to buy a 32 inch wide screen HDTV 16:9, 720p, HDMI all the whistles.

Can anybody suggest a good one?

And for you packer fans HDTV is high definition television.
    And no HDTV does not mean a longer discription in the dictionary about TV's.It's better quality TV.
    For you it's like sleeping with a stranger you hillbillies kidnapped instead of your own mother.

You newman's know what a tv is right?
    It's that square talking box in the Dr's office.
    And no it is not your fat sister quiffing when you sleep with her
    6-KINGS
    You're killing me :lol: :lol:
    52 minutes left of work , rush to dome :grin:

I'm exercising my ass by doing flexing exercises while typing. Prophet 3:42pm March 16, 2007
    "If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms." Mike Ditka

ArizonaPackerFan is offline Training Camp

I own a 50" LCD HDTV Sony, so I'm not familiar with what's all available in the 32" range.

My own suggestions,

Be sure to get HDTV, not EDTV

I wouldn't get plasma. They look nice at first, but can suffer burn-in and lose their brightness faster than other technologies.

I'd guess about 20% of people sometimes see a "rainbow" effect with DLP technology. A few experiece headaches or motion sickness with DLP. They usually experience this in darker rooms. Make sure you and the wife don't fall in the 20% bracket if you are interested in one of these. I didn't get this kind because I was afraid to have friends or family over who might experience this.

LCD has it's flaws too. Detail in darker scenes aren't as good with some brands. Look for "Black crush". An example would be someone on TV wearing a black suit, and you see solid black but not the detail like ripples in the fabric. They can sometimes have a "fuzzy" look with standard definition on a larger screen, but it will probably not be as noticable in the 32" range because the picture won't be stretched as wide.

The CRT technolgy the poster mentioned above is OK. The benefit with that technology is it's cheaper and that standard definition TV will look better on it than on the newer technologies. The drawbacks are it can suffer burn-in if you play video games, and they are heavy . Usually in the 250 to 300 pound range. The picture looks pretty crisp with HDTV CRT, but I didn't think it looked as lifelike as my Sony LCD. Just my opinion though.

Get what your eyes like. All HDTV sets have some type of flaw with the different technologies, but personally I thought LCD's flaws were more livable than the others. There was no way I was going to pay a ton for a plasma and have it start dimming in a year or two. Salesmen will tell you it's longer, but people I knew who had one said different.

Whatever brand you buy, be sure to have the store switch it to a standard definition signal so you can see how the set looks with regular TV. Most HDTV sets look good with an HDTV picture, but some HDTV sets look worse than others in standard definition. This is important because most shows you watch are still in standard definition.

check out the following forum at:
    [size=18px]http://www.avsforum.com[/size]

It has over 160,000 members. Mark Cuban is even a member. They have some techies, some network people, a lot of gurus, and some people full of B.S, but I learned more about HDTV there than from any salesperson or from reading any magazine. From the little I learned I was amazed how often the salespeople are wrong

The Packers looked great the other night on my HDTV. It looks like you are watching the game through a window and could reach through and grab Suzy Kolber :grin:

Some of us Packer fans know a little about HDTV. Since we can't get into Lambeau since it's always sold out, we buy an HDTV instead. It's the next best thing to being there :wink:

Good Luck in whatever brand/technology you decide to buy.

Below is a link to a Sony 42" version of my 50". Circuit City had it reduced to $1700 the other week, but I don't currently see it on their webpage. My guess is it will jump back up to around $2300-$2500 in a month or so when the new models come out.
    http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=4270&itemType=PRODUCT&iProdu ctID=4270

6-KINGS Guest

Thanks everybody for you input.
    It has been VERY helpful.

6-KINGS

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

did you get your TV yet?

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I have a 27" TV in my living room, does that help?? lol Wish I could help you more there 6-kings!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

6-KINGS Guest

"magicci" wrote:
    did you get your TV yet?
    Not yet.
    I am looking at the Sony, Sanyo and the Phillips.
    '30-32 wide screen HDTV.
    Not the HDTV monitor models.

I am just hoping for a sale soon.
    I will have it before Reg season starts.

I have a 52 wide screen now but it has taken a beating from the kids.

So it will be an adjustment when we scale down.
    Not to mention I am hooked on PS2 on the wide screen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast