Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

Hate Crime Legislation

Would someone please explain the logic of this type of legislation?
    As I understand the law in California, if I murder someone in a "special category," I will recieve 1-3 more years because it's considered a hate crime.
    What makes their life more valuable than a non-special category person?
    Murder is bad.
    Period.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Hate Crime Legislation

It is not the person who is in the special category, it is the motive behind the crime that is.
    One key point is that a person that commits a hate crime is much more likely statistically to commit a similar crime again.

For instance, it is saying that assaulting somebody who is black is not the same as assaulting somebody because they are black.

Also, anybody can be the victim of a hate crime, so it isn't a special sub group of the population.
    Hate crimes can be committed against men or women because of their gender, against blacks, whites, Hispanics, etc because of their ethnicity, or against homosexuals or hetrosexuals because of their sexual orientation.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    It is not the person who is in the special category, it is the motive behind the crime that is.
    One key point is that a person that commits a hate crime is much more likely statistically to commit a similar crime again.

For instance, it is saying that assaulting somebody who is black is not the same as assaulting somebody because they are black.

Also, anybody can be the victim of a hate crime, so it isn't a special sub group of the population.
    Hate crimes can be committed against men or women because of their gender, against blacks, whites, Hispanics, etc because of their ethnicity, or against homosexuals or hetrosexuals because of their sexual orientation.
    Interesting.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

Thus, if I go next door and blundgeon my packer fan it would be considered a hate crime.
    I hit him with the reason being that he was a packer fan.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I hate everybody equally

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Mikecarter81" wrote:
    Thus, if I go next door and blundgeon my packer fan it would be considered a hate crime.
    I hit him with the reason being that he was a packer fan.

Mike
    In that case I believe you would be covered by the good samaritan law, so go for it! ;D

VIKErmany is offline Waterboy

great...is like getting an F- in school
    ;D

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    I hate everybody equally
    Even Packer fans?

Brett Farve?

Bono!?

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Exactly. Brady Quinn shouted slurs at patrons inside a gay bar. Interesting question: Brady quinn is
    gay, (not that there is anything wrong with that)
    he is attempting to or calling out others for assault that are also gay. He allegedly shouted "Faggot" at bar patrons. Is he committing a hate crime by picking on someone of his own persuasion? Maybe Cajun can help me out with this problem. I need the study material for my courses. ;D
    Tuco the world.....

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Jereamiah" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Exactly. Brady Quinn shouted slurs at patrons inside a g*y bar. Interesting question: Brady quinn is
    g*y, (not that there is anything wrong with that)
    he is attempting to or calling out others for assault that are also g*y. He allegedly shouted "Faggot" at bar patrons. Is he committing a hate crime by picking on someone of his own persuasion? Maybe Cajun can help me out with this problem. I need the study material for my courses. ;D
    LMAO.
    Despite the dig on Quinn... it brings up an interesting point.

Yes, somebody can commit a hate crime against someone of his or her own persuasion.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast