Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    PacNWVike's Avatar
    PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Richland, WA
    Posts
    2,270

    Hate Crime Legislation

    Would someone please explain the logic of this type of legislation?
    As I understand the law in California, if I murder someone in a "special category," I will recieve 1-3 more years because it's considered a hate crime.
    What makes their life more valuable than a non-special category person?
    Murder is bad.
    Period.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

  2. #2
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Hate Crime Legislation

    It is not the person who is in the special category, it is the motive behind the crime that is.
    One key point is that a person that commits a hate crime is much more likely statistically to commit a similar crime again.

    For instance, it is saying that assaulting somebody who is black is not the same as assaulting somebody because they are black.

    Also, anybody can be the victim of a hate crime, so it isn't a special sub group of the population.
    Hate crimes can be committed against men or women because of their gender, against blacks, whites, Hispanics, etc because of their ethnicity, or against homosexuals or hetrosexuals because of their sexual orientation.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #3
    PacNWVike's Avatar
    PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Richland, WA
    Posts
    2,270

    Re: Hate Crime Legislation

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    It is not the person who is in the special category, it is the motive behind the crime that is.
    One key point is that a person that commits a hate crime is much more likely statistically to commit a similar crime again.

    For instance, it is saying that assaulting somebody who is black is not the same as assaulting somebody because they are black.

    Also, anybody can be the victim of a hate crime, so it isn't a special sub group of the population.
    Hate crimes can be committed against men or women because of their gender, against blacks, whites, Hispanics, etc because of their ethnicity, or against homosexuals or hetrosexuals because of their sexual orientation.
    Interesting.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

  4. #4
    Mikecarter81's Avatar
    Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    823

    Re: Hate Crime Legislation

    Thus, if I go next door and blundgeon my packer fan it would be considered a hate crime.
    I hit him with the reason being that he was a packer fan.

    Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

  5. #5
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,572

    Re: Hate Crime Legislation

    I hate everybody equally

  6. #6
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281

    Re: Hate Crime Legislation

    "Mikecarter81" wrote:
    Thus, if I go next door and blundgeon my packer fan it would be considered a hate crime.
    I hit him with the reason being that he was a packer fan.

    Mike
    In that case I believe you would be covered by the good samaritan law, so go for it! ;D

  7. #7
    VIKErmany's Avatar
    VIKErmany is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    15

    Re: Hate Crime Legislation

    great...is like getting an F- in school
    ;D

  8. #8
    so-cal vike's Avatar
    so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,261

    Re: Hate Crime Legislation

    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    I hate everybody equally
    Even Packer fans?

    Brett Farve?

    Bono!?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    1,148

    Re: Hate Crime Legislation

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    It is not the person who is in the special category, it is the motive behind the crime that is.
    One key point is that a person that commits a hate crime is much more likely statistically to commit a similar crime again.

    For instance, it is saying that assaulting somebody who is black is not the same as assaulting somebody because they are black.

    Also, anybody can be the victim of a hate crime, so it isn't a special sub group of the population.
    Hate crimes can be committed against men or women because of their gender, against blacks, whites, Hispanics, etc because of their ethnicity, or against homosexuals or hetrosexuals because of their sexual orientation.
    Exactly. Brady Quinn shouted slurs at patrons inside a gay bar. Interesting question: Brady quinn is
    gay, (not that there is anything wrong with that)
    he is attempting to or calling out others for assault that are also gay. He allegedly shouted "Faggot" at bar patrons. Is he committing a hate crime by picking on someone of his own persuasion? Maybe Cajun can help me out with this problem. I need the study material for my courses. ;D
    Tuco the world.....

  10. #10
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Hate Crime Legislation

    "Jereamiah" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    It is not the person who is in the special category, it is the motive behind the crime that is.
    One key point is that a person that commits a hate crime is much more likely statistically to commit a similar crime again.

    For instance, it is saying that assaulting somebody who is black is not the same as assaulting somebody because they are black.

    Also, anybody can be the victim of a hate crime, so it isn't a special sub group of the population.
    Hate crimes can be committed against men or women because of their gender, against blacks, whites, Hispanics, etc because of their ethnicity, or against homosexuals or hetrosexuals because of their sexual orientation.
    Exactly. Brady Quinn shouted slurs at patrons inside a g*y bar. Interesting question: Brady quinn is
    g*y, (not that there is anything wrong with that)
    he is attempting to or calling out others for assault that are also g*y. He allegedly shouted "Faggot" at bar patrons. Is he committing a hate crime by picking on someone of his own persuasion? Maybe Cajun can help me out with this problem. I need the study material for my courses. ;D
    LMAO.
    Despite the dig on Quinn... it brings up an interesting point.

    Yes, somebody can commit a hate crime against someone of his or her own persuasion.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Houses of Horror: What Happens After the Crime
    By VikingMike in forum Two Beer Minimum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-23-2008, 04:13 AM
  2. Minnesota Crime
    By SageVike in forum Two Beer Minimum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-22-2007, 11:37 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2006, 11:05 PM
  4. Big legislation out of MN
    By DarrinNelsonguy in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 04:10 AM
  5. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime....
    By NordicNed in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 08:00 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •