COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Harmon Killebrew back with the Twins!

In two weeks, for the first time in nearly 25 years, the greatest of all Twins, Harmon Killebrew, will don his retired No. 3 uniform and participate in spring training as an instructor with the Twins.

Killebrew, 69, who hit 573 home runs, was asked if he thinks some of the younger Twins will be aware of his hall of fame career.

"Maybe they'll remember; I hope so," Killebrew said Monday from his home in Scottsdale, Ariz.

Before the Twins trained in Fort Myers, Fla., they trained in Orlando, Fla.

"I remember one spring when I was doing the team's telecasts, Bob Allison was with me, and we were walking through the clubhouse in Orlando," Killebrew said. "This kid who was trying to make it with the Twins as an outfielder came up to me and asked who was that with me. I said that's Bob Allison, and you better hope you have as good a career as he had."

That kid was Billy Beane, who had nowhere near as good a career as Allison, the former Twins star outfielder. But Beane did go on to become an exceptional general manager with the Oakland A's.

Killebrew said he's honored that Twins manager Ron Gardenhire asked him to participate in spring training.

"I'm not going to hit, I'm not going to throw, I'm not going to field any ground balls," Killebrew said. "The last manager to ask me to come down there was Gene Mauch. He was the only guy before Ron to ask. So of course I said yes. It was very nice of Ron to do that.

"The Twins have a lot of young kids. They just want me to walk around and talk to the kids. If I can say something that would be beneficial to them, I'll be happy. I hope I can. They're not putting any pressure on me as far as anything."

Killebrew, who will spend March 15-22 on the field with the Twins, was asked if he might slip into the batting cage and take a few of his legendary swats.

"I might," he said.

He said he hasn't swung a bat for nearly a year. The last time was in an old-timers game in Scottsdale.

"Went 3 for 5 and said, 'This is it. I'm retiring right now,' " he said. "I can't run anymore. But it will be nice to be back (on the field) with the Twins. I feel good."
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Harmon Killebrew back with the Twins!

Thats really cool

I am a Cubs fan and it is always cool to see old players come back and help.

Killebrew is one of my favorite players of all time!

Thank you Josdin for the sig

Prophet Guest

I grew up watching Harmon, good to see him back.

aceclown is offline Coach

give the guy a jersey and tell him to hit the field, at 69 he would still probably be the best power hitter for the twins.

Chuch.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I remember he lived not to far from me in south Minneapolis near Lake Harriet. My son and I went over to his house one night and I got him to sign an autograph. Can you imagine that happening with today's sports stars.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

aceclown is offline Coach

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I remember he lived not to far from me in south Minneapolis near Lake Harriet. My son and I went over to his house one night and I got him to sign an autograph. Can you imagine that happening with today's sports stars.
    probably get a gun pointed at you and a release of the hounds.

Chuch.