sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Hall of Fame Game

Nope . . . NOT football . . . but baseball.

Today I took the family up to beautiful, scenic Cooperstown, NY for the 60th Annual Hall of Fame game between the REDS and my PIRATES.

May I suggest making it a priority to view atleast one game here.

Setting aside the obvious, Baseball Hall of Fame, history, etc . . .

#1. Baseball is a sport that is better experienced live than on T.V.
    #2. The relaxed atmosphere of the players and fans.
    #3. The Pregame Home Run Derby is as pure old-time baseball as it gets.
    #4. You can get your very own authographed baseball bat - that's YOUR autograph!
    #5. Experience baseball up close and personal - you can almost touch the players.
    #6. Old time players come to visit.
    #7. All of the above and more . . . again & again.

Despite the rainout today, I think I got a flavor of what it may have been like to view a game when players like Ruth, Mantle, and others walked the field.

Baseball before the commercialization. The crack of the bat. The pop of the glove. The cheer of the crowd. The sound of the hotdog vendor.

Something to experience . . .

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Hall of Fame Game

COOL!!! Sounds like a plan for the future!

As for the Football HOF game...I will wait until CC gets inducted to go!!!

I just wish he wouldn't have played that stupid last year in Miami...he would be in one year SOONER!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

Yeah baseball is definetly best veiwed at the game than on tv. Id love to go to the HOF game but im broke right now so thats a no go. Anyway im gonna catch some twins games later this summer so thatll be fun.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"sleepagent" wrote:
    Baseball before the commercialization. The crack of the bat. The pop of the glove. The cheer of the crowd. The sound of the hotdog vendor.

You can also get a hint of that at some of the lower league games. My first ever live baseball game was Atlanta against the Montreal Expos which was good.
    Since then though I've also seen a game at the Durham Bulls and also the Macon Braves. Think the Bulls game was great as it was a warm May evening and I got a front row seat at right field. Being that close to the players when they were warming up and to the action was great and gave a feel of what the game was really about. Plus got to chat to people who were amazed to find a Brit at a game like that.

Have to agree that something like that is something you always remember
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "sleepagent" wrote:

You can also get a hint of that at some of the lower league games. My first ever live baseball game was Atlanta against the Montreal Expos which was good.
    Since then though I've also seen a game at the Durham Bulls and also the Macon Braves. Think the Bulls game was great as it was a warm May evening and I got a front row seat at right field. Being that close to the players when they were warming up and to the action was great and gave a feel of what the game was really about. Plus got to chat to people who were amazed to find a Brit at a game like that.

Have to agree that something like that is something you always remember
    We don't have a MLB team here in Northeastern PA, but we've got the RED BARONS (Phillies AAA Team). We try to see a few games per year.

One of the great things that the Hall of Fame game has is NO advertising of any kind inside the stadium. It's just the old style stands, the players, and the fans - nothing about Coke, Chevy, etc.

What adds to the game is the homes that back up to the outfield. If a batter hits a solid homer . . . its landing in someones backyard or breaking a window. During the Home Run Derby, one of the REDS players hit such a towering home run it cleared the fence, the trees, and even the 3 story house.

It is such a nice step back in time . . . like I said before . . . without all the commercialization.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

I can't count the times I've been to Cooperstown..awesome little town. My brother had the pleasure to play on that field, during his time in a Babe Ruth League. The HOF is a must see for any Baseball fan !