Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Guns

dfosterf is offline Coach

Re: Guns

Whatever you get in a sidearm, I would suggest cartridges with a frangible bullet, along the lines of something like the "Glaser Safety Slug."

If you are buying yout ammo at the Walmart/whatever (while sporting your woody over the relatively unimportant part about what shoots the pointy things, lol) go JHP's... Jacketed Hollow Points.

Ammo is extraordinarily important. You want him/her to drop.

As to semi-auto vs. revolver-

You said everyday and carrying, but for those looking for a home defense weapon (shotgun is the bomb, but loading it, kids (they WILL mess with the guns) , wielding in tight quarters, etc...problematical)

The good old model 29 S&W revolver .44 mag loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs is an ideal home defense weapon. The recoil takes a little bit of getting used to for novices, but the learning curve is really only a day, and you are keeping things very simple, yet extraordinarily effective.

Simple is the way to go in life and death situations, imo

As far as pedigree for spouting off--

30 years in the Marine Corps infantry. . I know a little, honest.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Guns

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1088114
    Whatever you get in a sidearm, I would suggest cartridges with a frangible bullet, along the lines of something like the "Glaser Safety Slug."

If you are buying yout ammo at the Walmart/whatever (while sporting your woody over the relatively unimportant part about what shoots the pointy things, lol) go JHP's... Jacketed Hollow Points.

Ammo is extraordinarily important. You want him/her to drop.

As to semi-auto vs. revolver-

You said everyday and carrying, but for those looking for a home defense weapon (shotgun is the bomb, but loading it, kids (they WILL mess with the guns) , wielding in tight quarters, etc...problematical)

The good old model 29 S&W revolver .44 mag loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs is an ideal home defense weapon. The recoil takes a little bit of getting used to for novices, but the learning curve is really only a day, and you are keeping things very simple, yet extraordinarily effective.

Simple is the way to go in life and death situations, imo

As far as pedigree for spouting off--

30 years in the Marine Corps infantry. . I know a little, honest.
    Frangible rounds are great if you're dealing with a soft target...but any impediment ruins a frangible round. That also means that a side-facing shot can prematurely cause fragmentation and reduce the effectiveness.

That said, I personally load 2 Magsafe frangible rounds in my .45...the first 2 rounds. But after that comes six 185 grain Corbon rounds.

The logic is that the "panic drill" (2 to the chest, 1 to the head) will be effective regardless of what the "bad guy" is wearing. And, truthfully, I have long been considering dropping the MagSafe rounds simply because a frangible round is designed for only one thing...and an over zealous Prosecutor could try and paint a defensive shooter in a different light based upon that ammo choice.

Truth is, most standard hollow points offer enough performance for every day "Home Defense" needs.

Semi-frangibles offer a decent compromise, but - again - we start to get into the "why" territory.

When I went through the Academy, they taught us, "Shoot to stop the threat". You never shoot to kill, you never shoot to wound, you never shoot to scare...you shoot to stop the threat. Using frangible rounds makes that a hard sell.

Caine

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345