Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guns

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Guns

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1087916
    Quote Originally Posted by "jrjohn" #1087909
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1087905
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1087903
    let's face it, you're selecting a weapon for use in an EMERGENCY. The shit has well and truly hit the fan, and this will be the last measure of defense between you and someone with hate and discontent in their soul. Had you been PREPARED for this encounter, a handgun would not have been your first choice (Which is why I also have an AR-15 and a 12 gauge). But, here you are, and you're about to give them hell with what you have available...
    Who would you have to piss off to need an AR-15, a 12 gauge shotgun, and at least the one handgun mentioned?

I know you and C Mac didn't get a long, and you probably weren't the nicest to Infidel and TW, but I don't think you have to worry about those 3 aligning and coming for you.
    It's normal for hunters to have a lot of guns. 22 Cal. Buckmark pistol next to my bed with a full 10 shot clip. It's probably not going to kill anybody short of a head or heart shot, but I guarantee the poor SOB will cry, say he's sorry and mean it, for sneeking around in my house.
    (I was joking)
    I don't hunt.

I thought of leaving it at that, but that opens too many doors best left unopened.

Borrowing from Alien Versus Predator, firearms are like condoms, it's better to have one and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I spent a number of years in various professions that required that I be armed. Before anyone starts getting all wet in the nether regions, no, I was never Spec Ops, Green Beret, CIA, Mafia, SEAL, Police Officer, FBI, Border Patrol, or any of the other professions that internet tough guys lay claim to.

A few years after my Military days, I spent a few years working for a private firm that offered armed security services to property owners in "distressed neighborhoods" (Dope & Gang Unit) and high end Executive Protection. If you got a viable death threat, you got people like me babysitting you. If you had a high amount of drug/gang traffic in your development, we made life difficult for them.

Basically, a glorified Rent-a-cop...but with some kick ass training benefits as our Boss wanted to get high end Defense contracts (Like Nuke Plants and Emergency Response stuff), so some of us wound up with Advanced Tactical Training programs (like SWAT stuff)from Military Units and Police Departments.

Anyway, the point of this is that my main focus was stopping people who wanted to do bad things. And, if I'm not mistaken, that's what Mars is looking for.

But, keep in mind what Jargo said, it's not just possessing the firearm, it's the complete willingness to use it. Most people who confront criminals with firearms wind up shot with their own guns...because they aren't willing to actually shoot. And, until you stare down the barrel at another living breathing human being, you never really know if you can either.

But, if you think you can, I STRONGLY suggest that you find a weapon that fits you, THEN find a firearms training class of some sort and practice. Learn not only HOW to use the weapon, but also WHEN it's legal to do so. TV gets it wrong way too often, and the "my buddy said" excuse doesn't fly.

Caine

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Good replies fellas.

First, not a fan of 9mm. It was yesterdays .22.

Second, I do own a 12 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster.

I also own a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 AR15 Assault Rifle.

Here is how I have it planned out.

Some assholes want to take down Ultra (can you believe that?)

I have my .40 on my hip and my .38 on my ankle. My AR-15 w/ foregrip, scope and red dot, plus laser and flashlight at the ready. AND...my 12 gauge slung across my back! Ha, a 1 man Army.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by "marstc09" #1087894
    Thanks Ultra. I knew you would help. Also, waiting on Marrdro. To answer you questions, I don't know where I would carry it. Any suggestions? My primary goal would be ease of use and quickness.
    Ease of use and quickness is holster on your hip.

Although IWB is more concealable, not as easy to pull that bad boy out.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

I've said this here before so apologies to those I'm boring. I was a special forces medic who served in Vietnam in 1971 and 1972. So called Green Beret.I know a lot about weapons.
    I'm not some internet tough guy, but I once was in real life.

I'm not a fan of a lot of poorly trained or undertrained people running around armed with deadly weapons.
    Remember what happened to Plaxico? That crap happens all time; people shooting themselves with their own guns.

Last week two brothers were riding in a car when one showed the other his gun and shot himself through the forearm.
    Also last week a 4 year old found a loaded gun under his parents bed and pulled the trigger. The round went through the wall, and a recliner where his mother was breast feeding his baby brother or sister. It hit the mother but not the baby. Mother barely survived.

These are two recent incidents in the rural area I live in.

So get some training if you decide to arm yourself.

If someone is wondering around my house in the middle of the night, and I'm home alone, I would rather sneak out the back and call the cops.That person as often as not could be someone you know.

I will protect my life with deadly force but not take another life for any possession.

The people I trust to be armed are those who are willing but absolutely do not want to use their weapons.
    I think that describes most law enforcement officers.

Don't mean to preach, but it's a very serious subject.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jrjohn is offline Pro-Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1087961
    I've said this here before so apologies to those I'm boring. I was a special forces medic who served in Vietnam in 1971 and 1972. So called Green Beret.I know a lot about weapons.

I'm not a fan of a lot of poorly trained or undertrained people running around armed with deadly weapons.
    Remember what happened to Plaxico? That crap happens all time; people shooting themselves with their own guns.

Last week two brothers were riding in a car when one showed the other his gun and shot himself through the forearm.
    Also last week a 4 year old found a loaded gun under his parents bed and pulled the trigger. The round went through the wall, and a recliner where his mother was breast feeding his baby brother or sister. It hit the mother but not the baby. Mother barely survived.

If someone is wondering around my house in the middle of the night, and I'm home alone, I would rather sneak out the back and call the cops.That person as often as not could be someone you know.

I will protect my life with deadly force but not take another life for any possession.

The people I trust to be armed are those who are willing but absolutely do not want to use their weapons.

I could not agree more!

About 15 years ago my Friend Tom had a "unloaded" 44 Mag at his house. His 14 year old son came home from school with a friend. (you know where this is going) Toms son showed his friend the "unloaded" gun, it fired and struck the boy in the chest. Blew a hole threw him the size of a softball. DOA

Tom started drinking, lost his business and is now a Zero. Not sure where the son is. And the poor family that lost their son.

I have a 22 for protection for a reason, and here it is. I have some crazy friends, they get drunk and much like me they like to play tricks. What if one of them comes over in the middle of the night and trys to scare my wife and I. What if I shoot him with a large Cal. gun and kill him by mistake! I believe if I shoot somebody with a 22, doctors will be able to repair him. If it really is a bad guy and he keeps coming at me, I'll pump the remaining 9 bullets into him. He'll lay down!
    None

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "jrjohn" #1087965
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1087961

I could not agree more!

About 15 years ago my Friend Tom had a "unloaded" 44 Mag at his house. His 14 year old son came home from school with a friend. (you know where this is going) Toms son showed his friend the "unloaded" gun, it fired and struck the boy in the chest. Blew a hole threw him the size of a softball. DOA

Tom started drinking, lost his business and is now a Zero. Not sure where the son is. And the poor family that lost their son.

I have a 22 for protection for a reason, and here it is. I have some crazy friends, they get drunk and much like me they like to play tricks. What if one of them comes over in the middle of the night and trys to scare my wife and I. What if I shoot him with a large Cal. gun and kill him by mistake! I believe if I shoot somebody with a 22, doctors will be able to repair him. If it really is a bad guy and he keeps coming at me, I'll pump the remaining 9 bullets into him. He'll lay down!
    all good points.

Gotta remember, a guns a gun. more often than not, the fact that you are holding a gun while a guy is not is often enough to scare them away. They won't say "pfft, you're gonna need a .45 to take me down"

shooting first and asking questions later is what gets people in alot of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by jargomcfargo" #1087961]I've said this here before so apologies to those I'm boring. I was a special forces medic who served in Vietnam in 1971 and 1972. So called Green Beret.I know a lot about weapons.
    I'm not some internet tough guy, but I once was in real life.[/quote]

Wasn't calling you out...or anyone else for that matter. Was simply underscoring what I am NOT.

To dispel any remaining "tough guy" impressions, I'd like to point out that I'm in my final semester of Nursing School (Hopefully be an RN by May/June). I have never heard anyone ever say, "Hey, bro...don't piss him off....he's a nurse!!!".

[quote="jargomcfargo" #1087961]I'm not a fan of a lot of poorly trained or undertrained people running around armed with deadly weapons.

Don't mean to preach, but it's a very serious subject.[/quote]

I agree whoeheartedly, which is why I suggested the training.

[quote="i_bleed_purple
    all good points.

Gotta remember, a guns a gun. more often than not, the fact that you are holding a gun while a guy is not is often enough to scare them away. They won't say "pfft, you're gonna need a .45 to take me down"

shooting first and asking questions later is what gets people in alot of trouble.
    Except holding a gun is NOT a deterrent. It is the willingness to properly USE that gun that provides the deterrent. Even Police Officers, who ARE properly trained (We all hope) are disarmed and shot with their own weapons an alarming number of times. Do a quick search on the internet. Frightening stuff.

In the end, the gun is NOT the deterrent...it's the "Awww shit" response. If we're already to guns, we're having a REALLY bad day. So it behooves you to be prepared - as well as you reasonably can be - if you are going to up the ante by introducing a firearm to any situation.

Caine

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caine" #1087978]
    [quote="i_bleed_purple
    all good points.

Except holding a gun is NOT a deterrent. It is the willingness to properly USE that gun that provides the deterrent. Even Police Officers, who ARE properly trained (We all hope) are disarmed and shot with their own weapons an alarming number of times. Do a quick search on the internet. Frightening stuff.[/quote]
    I'm aware what happens. It really would depend on the situation. If the other guy had a gun out and handy, then yes, you'll need to use the gun. If they don't, they're likely not winning that battle. Some people yes, are just nuts and there's nothing else to do but shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple" #1087982][quote="Caine" #1087978]
    [quote="i_bleed_purple
    all good points.

Except holding a gun is NOT a deterrent. It is the willingness to properly USE that gun that provides the deterrent. Even Police Officers, who ARE properly trained (We all hope) are disarmed and shot with their own weapons an alarming number of times. Do a quick search on the internet. Frightening stuff.[/quote]
    I'm aware what happens. It really would depend on the situation. If the other guy had a gun out and handy, then yes, you'll need to use the gun. If they don't, they're likely not winning that battle. Some people yes, are just nuts and there's nothing else to do but shoot.[/quote]

Again, it comes back to willingness. An unwilling gun holder is often disarmed and subdued/injured with their own weapon. I was taught early on, "charge a gun, flee a knife". Simply having a gun, even pointing it at someone, doesn't guarantee an encounter will stop...and that I can tell you from personal experience.

Caine

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "jrjohn" #1087909
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1087905
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1087903
    let's face it, you're selecting a weapon for use in an EMERGENCY. The shit has well and truly hit the fan, and this will be the last measure of defense between you and someone with hate and discontent in their soul. Had you been PREPARED for this encounter, a handgun would not have been your first choice (Which is why I also have an AR-15 and a 12 gauge). But, here you are, and you're about to give them hell with what you have available...
    Who would you have to piss off to need an AR-15, a 12 gauge shotgun, and at least the one handgun mentioned?

I know you and C Mac didn't get a long, and you probably weren't the nicest to Infidel and TW, but I don't think you have to worry about those 3 aligning and coming for you.
    It's normal for hunters to have a lot of guns. 22 Cal. Buckmark pistol next to my bed with a full 10 shot clip. It's probably not going to kill anybody short of a head or heart shot, but I guarantee the poor SOB will cry, say he's sorry and mean it, for sneeking around in my house.
    You know that might be a good idea. Start small. I really am more concerned about protection from home invasion. Happens more here than in Wisconsin. It would be hard to get out of my house without being noticed so something is needed.

Great advice by all. Before I buy anything I will definitely make sure I am trained and have lots of practice.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast