Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: Guns

  1. #11
    jrjohn is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    412

    Re: Guns

    Tim, I'd buy the same gun a lot of the police use. A 9mm semi-automatic Glock. or the 23 as per Ultra. You don't need a 357 Mag. The reason semi-auto is important is for the same reason the cops use them. (double tap) What that means is you always fire two times. Bang Bang........Bang Bang...... Bang Bang..... The reason for the double tap is if you miss on the first shot, chances are you will score on the second. After the first double tap, you re-evaluate your target, if it's still a threat, you procede with another double tap, and on and on until the threat is neutralized , or your out of bullets.
    None

  2. #12
    jrjohn is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    412

    Re: Guns

    Let me expound a little more. The Glock is quick to load and re-load. Don't mess with a revolver, by the time you get it loaded it will be too late. You don't want to keep a loaded gun in the house. The revolver has a hard trigger pull and makes the double tap with accuracy difficult, and finally the revolver won't hold enough bullets for a multiple threat target.

    Same gun the kid in AZ used


    GLOCK 19 9x19




    CALIBER
    9x19
    SYSTEM
    Safe Action
    WEIGHT
    595 g / 20.99 oz.
    LOADED (~)
    850 g / 29.98 oz.

    LENGTH
    174 mm / 6.85 in.
    HEIGHT
    127 mm / 5.00 in. MAG. CAPACITY
    Standard: 15
    OPTIONAL
    17 / 19 / 33

    WIDTH
    30 mm / 1.18 in.
    BARREL HEIGHT
    32 mm / 1.26 in. TRIGGER PULL
    2.5 kg / 5.5 lbs.
    TRIGGER TRAVEL
    12.5 mm / 0.5 in.

    LINE OF SIGHT
    153 mm / 6.02 in.
    BARREL LENGTH
    102 mm / 4.02 in. BARREL RIFLING
    right hand, hexagonal
    LENGTH OF TWIST
    250 mm / 9.84 in.




    NATO stock number 1005/66/132/7731 - Subject to technical changes
    None

  3. #13
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Guns

    Remember though, revolvers don't jam, if a bullet misfires, the chamber just rotates through it. If you have something like a glock, and a bullet mis-fires, you have to manually discharge the shell, and in a situation where a couple seconds could mean life or death, that could be the end. It's why alot of older cops use revolvers still. It's what they used before, and they see no reason to switch.

    All preference though.

  4. #14
    jrjohn is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    412

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1087900
    Remember though, revolvers don't jam, if a bullet misfires, the chamber just rotates through it. If you have something like a glock, and a bullet mis-fires, you have to manually discharge the shell, and in a situation where a couple seconds could mean life or death, that could be the end. It's why alot of older cops use revolvers still. It's what they used before, and they see no reason to switch.

    All preference though.
    I hear ya, but with todays ammo, the chance of a misfire is so remote it's not even worth talking about.

    If Mars is asking us for advice, that tells me he's not presently a gun owner or he has limited experience with guns, hunting and or shooting. He will not feel comfortable if forced to use the gun and will probably miss or misplace many of his shots. He will need a lot of bullets to make up for his lack of shooting skills. (please don't take this personal Mars, I'm just assuming this is the case, I could be wrong)

    I believe you can get a 17 shot clip for the Glock. You may not need the extra bullets, but think of them as friends, and it's good to have a lot of friends when your in trouble.
    None

  5. #15
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139

    Re: Guns

    This is an arena I used to dabble in myself...

    My personal handgun is a Sig Sauer P220 .45. I chose it primarily for the feel of the weapon. I liked the way it fit my hand, and Sig Sauer has a (well deserved) reputation for excellence and quality.

    That said, another consideration is price. If money isn't a major concern, I would suggest the Walther P-99. Many of you will recognize it as the "James Bond gun". As a former owner of one, I can tell you that it is an amazing firearm.

    Several have listed Glocks as possible options...I'm not a huge fan. Primarily due to their lack of a decocking mechanism. Glocks are always hot. Properly holstered, this isn't a huge consideration (as the trigger should be covered/protected), but I like the added trigger pressure of that first shot...

    I personally shy away from revolvers. Even with speed loaders, I prefer the ease of swapping magazines out.

    As for the caliber debate - I think it's bunk myself. I shoot .45 because I'm comfortable with it. If you are more capable with a 9mm, then shoot frickin' 9mm!!! You can't hurt it if you can't hit it!!!

    There's an excellent article here --> Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness <-- which discusses many relevant truths about handgun use.

    let's face it, you're selecting a weapon for use in an EMERGENCY. The shit has well and truly hit the fan, and this will be the last measure of defense between you and someone with hate and discontent in their soul. Had you been PREPARED for this encounter, a handgun would not have been your first choice (Which is why I also have an AR-15 and a 12 gauge). But, here you are, and you're about to give them hell with what you have available...

    ..so, again, make sure that "what you have available" is something you can be effective with. 9mm stops people just as well as .45 does...it has a lot more to do with shot placement and target disposition than it does with caliber.

    My advice, go to a few gun stores and FEEL the weapons. Hold them in your hand. Find the one that feels like it belongs there. Ask the Clerk/Owner/whatever to show you how to break them down for cleaning. Consider your carry method and how easily concealable/carryable this will be in REAL LIFE. Finally, find some gun-nut buddys and go out and bust some caps with them. Get a feel for the recoil and performance of the different calibers.

    I tried it the other way - I went and got what "others" told me was a "great gun"...and while I don't hate the Beretta 92FS, I didn't keep it very long either (I'm not big on open slides). Then I went and bought the one I'd loved the feel of from moment one - the Sig Sauer.

    Caine

  6. #16
    jrjohn is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    412

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1087903
    This is an arena I used to dabble in myself...

    My personal handgun is a Sig Sauer P220 .45. I chose it primarily for the feel of the weapon. I liked the way it fit my hand, and Sig Sauer has a (well deserved) reputation for excellence and quality.

    That said, another consideration is price. If money isn't a major concern, I would suggest the Walther P-99. Many of you will recognize it as the "James Bond gun". As a former owner of one, I can tell you that it is an amazing firearm.

    Several have listed Glocks as possible options...I'm not a huge fan. Primarily due to their lack of a decocking mechanism. Glocks are always hot. Properly holstered, this isn't a huge consideration (as the trigger should be covered/protected), but I like the added trigger pressure of that first shot...

    I personally shy away from revolvers. Even with speed loaders, I prefer the ease of swapping magazines out.

    As for the caliber debate - I think it's bunk myself. I shoot .45 because I'm comfortable with it. If you are more capable with a 9mm, then shoot frickin' 9mm!!! You can't hurt it if you can't hit it!!!

    There's an excellent article here --> Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness <-- which discusses many relevant truths about handgun use.

    let's face it, you're selecting a weapon for use in an EMERGENCY. The shit has well and truly hit the fan, and this will be the last measure of defense between you and someone with hate and discontent in their soul. Had you been PREPARED for this encounter, a handgun would not have been your first choice (Which is why I also have an AR-15 and a 12 gauge). But, here you are, and you're about to give them hell with what you have available...

    ..so, again, make sure that "what you have available" is something you can be effective with. 9mm stops people just as well as .45 does...it has a lot more to do with shot placement and target disposition than it does with caliber.

    My advice, go to a few gun stores and FEEL the weapons. Hold them in your hand. Find the one that feels like it belongs there. Ask the Clerk/Owner/whatever to show you how to break them down for cleaning. Consider your carry method and how easily concealable/carryable this will be in REAL LIFE. Finally, find some gun-nut buddys and go out and bust some caps with them. Get a feel for the recoil and performance of the different calibers.

    I tried it the other way - I went and got what "others" told me was a "great gun"...and while I don't hate the Beretta 92FS, I didn't keep it very long either (I'm not big on open slides). Then I went and bought the one I'd loved the feel of from moment one - the Sig Sauer.

    Caine
    Sounds like good advice.
    None

  7. #17
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1087903
    let's face it, you're selecting a weapon for use in an EMERGENCY. The shit has well and truly hit the fan, and this will be the last measure of defense between you and someone with hate and discontent in their soul. Had you been PREPARED for this encounter, a handgun would not have been your first choice (Which is why I also have an AR-15 and a 12 gauge). But, here you are, and you're about to give them hell with what you have available...
    Who would you have to piss off to need an AR-15, a 12 gauge shotgun, and at least the one handgun mentioned?

    I know you and C Mac didn't get a long, and you probably weren't the nicest to Infidel and TW, but I don't think you have to worry about those 3 aligning and coming for you.

  8. #18
    jrjohn is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    412

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1087905
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1087903
    let's face it, you're selecting a weapon for use in an EMERGENCY. The shit has well and truly hit the fan, and this will be the last measure of defense between you and someone with hate and discontent in their soul. Had you been PREPARED for this encounter, a handgun would not have been your first choice (Which is why I also have an AR-15 and a 12 gauge). But, here you are, and you're about to give them hell with what you have available...
    Who would you have to piss off to need an AR-15, a 12 gauge shotgun, and at least the one handgun mentioned?

    I know you and C Mac didn't get a long, and you probably weren't the nicest to Infidel and TW, but I don't think you have to worry about those 3 aligning and coming for you.
    It's normal for hunters to have a lot of guns. 22 Cal. Buckmark pistol next to my bed with a full 10 shot clip. It's probably not going to kill anybody short of a head or heart shot, but I guarantee the poor SOB will cry, say he's sorry and mean it, for sneeking around in my house.
    None

  9. #19
    Tad7's Avatar
    Tad7 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,448

    Re: Guns

    Most importantly you can do some badass poses for facebook pics now!
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

    X MARKS THE SPOT

  10. #20
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by "jrjohn" #1087909
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1087905
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1087903
    let's face it, you're selecting a weapon for use in an EMERGENCY. The shit has well and truly hit the fan, and this will be the last measure of defense between you and someone with hate and discontent in their soul. Had you been PREPARED for this encounter, a handgun would not have been your first choice (Which is why I also have an AR-15 and a 12 gauge). But, here you are, and you're about to give them hell with what you have available...
    Who would you have to piss off to need an AR-15, a 12 gauge shotgun, and at least the one handgun mentioned?

    I know you and C Mac didn't get a long, and you probably weren't the nicest to Infidel and TW, but I don't think you have to worry about those 3 aligning and coming for you.
    It's normal for hunters to have a lot of guns. 22 Cal. Buckmark pistol next to my bed with a full 10 shot clip. It's probably not going to kill anybody short of a head or heart shot, but I guarantee the poor SOB will cry, say he's sorry and mean it, for sneeking around in my house.
    (I was joking)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Girls with Guns
    By BadlandsVikings in forum Two Beer Minimum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-26-2009, 08:43 AM
  2. Guns N' Roses N' The FBI
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2008, 08:01 AM
  3. Fla. lawmakers OK take-your-guns-to-work law
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-09-2008, 08:09 PM
  4. Two Guns Used in RFK Assassination, Experts Say
    By VikingMike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 02:51 PM
  5. Cows with Guns
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 11:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •