Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Guns

Ok guys I have talked with a few on here a while ago about this. I am ready to do this now and I need your opinion. I know I will ask the gun store owners too but I value some of your opinions.

I want to get a gun. The Tucson thing really mad up my mind.

What is the best gun for protection? Something that can be carried on a daily basis at all times.

Culpepper_4717 is offline Asst. Coach Chopper Challenge Champion

Re: Guns

IMO the .357 Magnum, .45 Long Colt, .45 ACP, and .44 S&W Special are all great guns that can be carried on a daily basis, but it's going to come down to personal preference on what feels good in hand and what you are comfortable with shooting. I'd go to the gun store and pick out a few you like maybe you could test them if they have a place to shoot them.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "marstc09" #1087830
    Ok guys I have talked with a few on here a while ago about this. I am ready to do this now and I need your opinion. I know I will ask the gun store owners too but I value some of your opinions.

What is the best gun for protection? Something that can be carried on a daily basis at all times.
    Can't carry a gun with the intention of scaring people. You need to be willing to use it.
    It takes stones to shoot someone.
    Even if you are totally in the right, you will think about it and have some regrets the remainder of your life.Especially if you kill them.
    Even soldiers in a kill or be killed situation have regrets.

Are you really willing to shoot someone? Think long and hard about the answer before deciding to carry.

Having said that, I will add that, I would drop someone in the blink of an eye if they threatened my families well being.

Also, if you are looking for personal defense in the home, a shotgun is a formideable weapon.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

this would probably scare the shit out of anybody who crosses your path

Easy to carry? Well, if you have big pockets.

Or maybe I recommend Will Smith's favourite:

good 'ol cricket

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Glock 19 semi automatic?

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Why not combine a shotgun/pistol in an easy to carry fashion?

Meet "The Judge"

Wiki on "The Judge"

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "BloodyHorns82" #1087867
    Why not combine a shotgun/pistol in an easy to carry fashion?

Meat "The Judge"

Why not put a scope on top for added accuracy?

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Ok, here is a topic in which I hope I can provide some valuable insight.

Choosing a handgun to carry concealed is 90% personal preference. There are many options to consider:

1. Your size (I have met you so I know )
    2. How are you going to carry it?
    -----a. Ankle
    -----b. Outside hip
    -----c. IWB (Inside waist band)]
    -----d. Shoulder
    3. What is your primary goal?
    -----a. Stopping power
    -----b. Something less noticeable (smaller)
    -----c. Capacity
    -----d. Looks
    -----e. Scaring the living shit outta someone

If you are going to be carrying this all the time you may want to consider something smaller in physical size and caliber. Sure, you may not have the stopping power, but a well placed shot (under immense pressure) will stop anyone.

RUGER LCP .380

The Ruger LCP .380 is a very popular choice when considering something very small. Can be carrying anywhere on body to include ankle. Capacity is 6+1 and is a very popular choice by a lot of people. Also makes a good back-up gun in case you need to eliminate more than 1 target.

Price: $300

GLOCK 23

A very popular choice for handguns. Reliable and with the stopping power of a .40 cal!!! The standard capacity is 13+1. The compact is 10+1. The .40 is becoming the caliber of choice these days. The 9mm lacks stopping power needed by Law Enforcement and the majority of them have upgraded to the .40. It is a damn good round. You can google the ballistics and see that although it is a smaller round than the infamous .45 ACP, it actually outperforms it. With that as well, you have a lot less recoil.

Also remember when buying any caliber handgun, the lighter the gun the more "Buck" (recoil) it has. That equates to less control of the gun if you are going to throw more rounds downrange and keeping a nice group.

Price: $550-$600

Smith & Wesson 649

Sweet .357 or .38 hammerless handgun. Plenty of stopping power hear. The .38+P is like a miniature cannon! Revolvers are more reliable due to less moving and mechanical parts than a semi auto. The drawback is only 5 rounds. You could carry and quick reloader and practice on dropping the brass and reloading. These little fellas have a decent amount of buck as well.

Price: $400+

I know someone replied with "The Judge" by Taurus. Taurus makes good guns now, but that gun is pretty hefty in size. Plus, why would you even need a 410 round? Unless you wanted to shoot a small bird that just shit on your car.

It really all comes down to preference. Comfort is key. I have a Smith and Wesson M&P .40. The make them in 9mm and 45 or all sizes (compacts, full size, etc) I love the gun! 15+1 capacity and the handgrips come with 3 different sizes based on the size of your hand. I chose this gun because of comfort. It is slick as heck!

The other very popular make is Springfield Armory. The XD Series is slick and wildly popular as well. As for me, I did not like the feel.

I did a ton of research on holsters as well. I bought what is considered the best holster money can buy. It is an IWB that you can still tuck in your shirt. It is the Crossbreed Supertuck.

I paid $110 total and got the combat grip and horsehide (so smooth) Once broke in I can hardly tell I am wearing it. It is the bomb.

So ggod luck Marr!

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1087853
    Quote Originally Posted by "marstc09" #1087830

Can't carry a gun with the intention of scaring people. You need to be willing to use it.
    It takes stones to shoot someone.
    Even if you are totally in the right, you will think about it and have some regrets the remainder of your life.Especially if you kill them.
    Even soldiers in a kill or be killed situation have regrets.

Are you really willing to shoot someone? Think long and hard about the answer before deciding to carry.

Having said that, I will add that, I would drop someone in the blink of an eye if they threatened my families well being.

Also, if you are looking for personal defense in the home, a shotgun is a formideable weapon.
    It someone is trying to harm me, I would shoot them with no regrets. I am not willing to die for some piece of shit. I have thought about this for over a year. That is long enough.

Thanks Ultra. I knew you would help. Also, waiting on Marrdro. To answer you questions, I don't know where I would carry it. Any suggestions? My primary goal would be ease of use and quickness.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast