Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Gunman bursts into party, tastes cheese and wine, gets hug, then leaves

WASHINGTON - A grand feast of marinated steaks and jumbo shrimp was winding down, and a group of friends was sitting on the back patio of a Capitol Hill home, sipping red wine. Suddenly, a hooded man slid in through an open gate and put the barrel of a handgun to the head of a 14-year-old guest.

"Give me your money, or I'll start shooting," he demanded, according to D.C. police and witness accounts.

The five other guests, including the girls' parents, froze -- and then one spoke.

"We were just finishing dinner," Cristina "Cha Cha" Rowan, 43, blurted out. "Why don't you have a glass of wine with us?"

The intruder took a sip of their Chateau Malescot St-Exupéry and said, "Damn, that's good wine."

The girl's father, Michael Rabdau, 51, who described the harrowing evening in an interview, told the intruder, described as being in his 20s, to take the whole glass. Rowan offered him the bottle. The would-be robber, his hood now down, took another sip and had a bite of Camembert cheese that was on the table.

'Can I get a hug?'
    Then he tucked the gun into the pocket of his nylon sweatpants.

"I think I may have come to the wrong house," he said, looking around the patio of the home in the 1300 block of Constitution Avenue NE.

"I'm sorry," he told the group. "Can I get a hug?"

Rowan, who lives in Falls Church and works part time at her children's school, stood up and wrapped her arms around him. Then it was Rabdau's turn. Then his wife's. The other two guests complied.

"That's really good wine," the man said, taking another sip. He had a final request: "Can we have a group hug?"

The five adults surrounded him, arms out.

With that, the man walked out with a crystal wine glass in hand, filled with Chateau Malescot. No one was hurt, and nothing was stolen.

The homeowner, Xavier Cervera, 45, had gone out to walk his dog at the end of the party and missed the incident, which happened about midnight June 16. Police classified the case as strange but true and said they had not located a suspect.

"We believe it is a true robbery," said Cmdr. Diane Groomes, who is in charge of patrols in the Capitol Hill area. But it's one-of-a-kind, she said, adding, "I've never heard of a robber joining a party and then walking out to the sunset."

The hug, she said, was especially unusual. "They should have squeezed him and held onto him for us," she said.

Rabdau said he hasn't been able to figure out what happened.

"I was definitely expecting there would be some kind of casualty," Rabdau said this week. "He was very aggressive at first; then it turned into a love fest. I don't know what it was."

Was it the wine or the cheese?
    Rabdau, a federal government worker who lives in Anne Arundel County with his family and lived on Capitol Hill with his wife in the 1980s, said that the episode lasted about 10 minutes but seemed like an hour. He believes the guests were spared because they kept a positive attitude during the exchange.

"There was this degree of disbelief and terror at the same time," Rabdau said. "Then it miraculously just changed. His whole emotional tone turned -- like, we're one big happy family now. I thought: Was it the wine? Was it the cheese?"

After the intruder left, the guests walked inside the house, locked the door and stared at each other. They didn't say a word. Rabdau dialed 911. Police arrived quickly and took a report. They also dusted for fingerprints -- so far, to no avail.

In the alley behind the home, investigators found the intruder's empty crystal wine glass on the ground, unbroken.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19740787/?GT1=10150

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Gunman bursts into party, tastes cheese and wine, gets hug, then leaves

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "We were just finishing dinner," Cristina "Cha Cha" Rowan, 43, blurted out. "Why don't you have a glass of wine with us?"

The intruder took a sip of their Chateau Malescot St-Exupéry and said, "Damn, that's good wine."
    I bet it wasn't from a box.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

the world is comming to an end, really this is Bull-sh*t if you ask me
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    WASHINGTON - A grand feast of marinated steaks and jumbo shrimp was winding down, and a group of friends was sitting on the back patio of a Capitol Hill home, sipping red wine. Suddenly, a hooded man slid in through an open gate and put the barrel of a handgun to the head of a 14-year-old guest.

"Give me your money, or I'll start shooting," he demanded, according to D.C. police and witness accounts.

The five other guests, including the girls' parents, froze -- and then one spoke.

The intruder took a sip of their Chateau Malescot St-Exupéry and said, "gol 'darnit, that's good wine."

The girl's father, Michael Rabdau, 51, who described the harrowing evening in an interview, told the intruder, described as being in his 20s, to take the whole glass. Rowan offered him the bottle. The would-be robber, his hood now down, took another sip and had a bite of Camembert cheese that was on the table.

'Can I get a hug?'
    Then he tucked the gun into the pocket of his nylon sweatpants.

"I think I may have come to the wrong house," he said, looking around the patio of the home in the 1300 block of Constitution Avenue NE.

"I'm sorry," he told the group. "Can I get a hug?"

Rowan, who lives in Falls Church and works part time at her children's school, stood up and wrapped her arms around him. Then it was Rabdau's turn. Then his wife's. The other two guests complied.

"That's really good wine," the man said, taking another sip. He had a final request: "Can we have a group hug?"

The five adults surrounded him, arms out.

With that, the man walked out with a crystal wine glass in hand, filled with Chateau Malescot. No one was hurt, and nothing was stolen.

The homeowner, Xavier Cervera, 45, had gone out to walk his dog at the end of the party and missed the incident, which happened about midnight June 16. Police classified the case as strange but true and said they had not located a suspect.

"We believe it is a true robbery," said Cmdr. Diane Groomes, who is in charge of patrols in the Capitol Hill area. But it's one-of-a-kind, she said, adding, "I've never heard of a robber joining a party and then walking out to the sunset."

The hug, she said, was especially unusual. "They should have squeezed him and held onto him for us," she said.

Rabdau said he hasn't been able to figure out what happened.

"I was definitely expecting there would be some kind of casualty," Rabdau said this week. "He was very aggressive at first; then it turned into a love fest. I don't know what it was."

Was it the wine or the cheese?
    Rabdau, a federal government worker who lives in Anne Arundel County with his family and lived on Capitol Hill with his wife in the 1980s, said that the episode lasted about 10 minutes but seemed like an hour. He believes the guests were spared because they kept a positive attitude during the exchange.

"There was this degree of disbelief and terror at the same time," Rabdau said. "Then it miraculously just changed. His whole emotional tone turned -- like, we're one big happy family now. I thought: Was it the wine? Was it the cheese?"

After the intruder left, the guests walked inside the house, locked the door and stared at each other. They didn't say a word. Rabdau dialed 911. Police arrived quickly and took a report. They also dusted for fingerprints -- so far, to no avail.

In the alley behind the home, investigators found the intruder's empty crystal wine glass on the ground, unbroken.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19740787/?GT1=10150
    I love how fairy tales always have a happy ending.

Years ago while attending the U of M main campus we were invited to a party in south MPLS.
    4 of us walked in the front door carrying a case of beer on our shoulders and ready to party down.

Well it was the wrong house and we walked in on a family eating dinner.

I don't know who was surprised the most. I just said we were terribly sorry to disturb them; we had the wrong house. Turned and left immediately.

I didn't think to stick arround for vitils and hugs!
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:

The intruder took a sip of their Chateau Malescot St-Exupéry and said, "gol 'darnit, that's good wine."
    I bet it wasn't from a box.

=Z=
    Or have a "screw-on" top either.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

well this is very odd. I am gonna rob you. but hey offer the robber booze good idea calm him down. I guess whatever works
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Ha that story is priceless.

I was out drinking one night with some friends and when the night was over, one of the girls with us said we could crash at her friend's place.

So we walk into this house, we all proceed to grab spots on couches, chairs, floor etc.
    Just as I am about to pass out, she comes running down the stairs telling us all we were in the wrong house.

So frantically we grabbed our shoes/shirts, etc and ran for the door.
    I wonder how freaked out the people in the master bedroom upstairs were.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    Ha that story is priceless.

I was out drinking one night with some friends and when the night was over, one of the girls with us said we could crash at her friend's place.

So we walk into this house, we all proceed to grab spots on couches, chairs, floor etc.
    Just as I am about to pass out, she comes running down the stairs telling us all we were in the wrong house.

So frantically we grabbed our shoes/shirts, etc and ran for the door.
    I wonder how freaked out the people in the master bedroom upstairs were.
    That is funny stuff Horns.
    Did you all go in to the basement?
    Why was the girl upstairs in the wrong house?
    Did that happen in Cannon Falls?
    Lol

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

No we weren't in the basement, it was a townhouse that had an upper level...we were on the main level.
    The girl wen't upstairs to talk to her friend...who obviously wasn't there.
    I think she walked into the 2nd bedroom of the upstairs when she realized it wasn't her friends room.

And it happened in Steven's Point, WI.
    We were visiting my good buddy's cousin.
    I'll never forget that though.

Another time we were drinking at a friends house.
    Somehow one of the guys at the party (towards the end of the night) ended up stumbling into the neighbors house and passing out on their couch.
    In the morning the wife woke up and came downstairs to fine this "bum" sleeping on her couch... THAT was funny.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

That is funny.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast