triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Greed in the NFL (or all sports for that matter)

You know I was just thinking about this... where do these players get off whining about how much money they make as professional athletes?? "oh I want to make 10 million not 8 million" Good Lord! Most of us as normal working adults can't fathom making that much money in our lifetime let alone per year! Not to mention most players come from normal to less than average income families... what makes them so damn greedy??

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

The reason NFL players make so much more money now than they used to is mainly because of network TV contracts and better marketing of teams. Football has surpassed everything else as the sport most people tune in to watch on TV. The major networks pay billions to the NFL each year for broadcast rights. That has made salaries of players rise dramatically over the years.

Now combine that with the free agency...Players today have a lot more bargaining power than they used to. Teams used to be able to have more control over a player's contract and could sign many good players to long term deals. Now the player has more say in how long and how much money will be in the contract. Players ask for a lot more money because they know a team will pay that to bring them on.

Basically, they can afford to be greedy. I'd love to make just half the salary of a third string NFL player any day!
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

Athletes b**th about it becasue they can. Yes, it's extremly greedy, but why not suck out an extra 2 Million if you can? If you can get the extra 2 mil, take it.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Well, I'm not really saying this is an excuse, but:

Professional Footbal is a multi-billion dollar business. These athlete's bring in Billions, upon Billions of dollars to their owners, and to the NFL. Honestly, 8 million is their rightful cut. I mean, Randy Moss probably makes Red a good 3 Billion dollars a year himself and Moss gets 10 million of that's 3%.

Plus, Salaries of other players creates jealousy. I you are working at a typist job and you see yourself better than Joe, but Joe makes more money than you, ur going to be pissed, just on principal. Even if u make a god salary.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

oh I understand all that, but the point is... some of them make more money then 10 people can spend in a lifetime... and they bitch about a couple more million! it doesn't even really matter to them! and what do they do with this money? Some do good things, they do charity and stuff, but look and what it does to most of them... they party like rock stars and get arrested!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    Well, I'm not really saying this is an excuse, but:

Professional Footbal is a multi-billion dollar business. These athlete's bring in Billions, upon Billions of dollars to their owners, and to the NFL. Honestly, 8 million is their rightful cut. I mean, Randy Moss probably makes Red a good 3 Billion dollars a year himself and Moss gets 10 million of that's 3%.

Plus, Salaries of other players creates jealousy. I you are working at a typist job and you see yourself better than Joe, but Joe makes more money than you, ur going to be pissed, just on principal. Even if u make a god salary.
    HAHAHAHA! Are you serious Vikeman? Maybe you need some math lessons. "Moss brings Red 3 BILLION a year", the entire vikings organization is worth 1/6th of that amount. If Red made 3 billion+ per year on the viking there is no chance in hell he would ever sell for 600 million.

Seriously though, that is a joke. Athletes are overpaid, but it is entirely the owners fault in my mind. As long as there are idiot like Snyder there will be no end to the rise in salaries.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

That is why the CFL is better , the average salary is 50K Canadian.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:
    oh I understand all that, but the point is... some of them make more money then 10 people can spend in a lifetime... and they beeyatch about a couple more million! it doesn't even really matter to them! and what do they do with this money? Some do good things, they do charity and stuff, but look and what it does to most of them... they party like rock stars and get arrested!
    The more money you have the more you want.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Athletes (and agents) have also made the point for years that athletes live on borrowed time. How many highly-touted athletes have we seen come into a camp and blow out a knee or something? Their career is over before it started. So, the $500,000 signing bonus was needed.

The average NFL players career is, what, 5 years? A running back's average career is like 3 years.

Their argument is that they need the money because when their body gives out, their income is gone.

Of course, this isn't true..they can pursue a career like the rest of us and make some money, also.

I MIGHT make a million dollars total before I retire.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

Yeah The CFL is awesome. great leauge entertaining and way less atitude. Hey Italian whos your pick to win the grey cup this year mine is the esks. They get former viking Antonio Wilson this year he is fairly descent.