Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Gophers coach Monson resigns

Unless I missed this I am surprised that no one has mentioned this. If It did lock it up and merge it. But This totally made my day and a great start to the weekend. Now lets get rid of the other Bozo running the football team and the U of MN will actually get some support from fans again including myself. I told myself last year that I would stop supporting the Gophers BBall team this year as long as Monson was coach, and I made
    the same remark about the Mason and the football team this year. I for one am happy.

http://www.startribune.com/512/story/844947.html

"A new voice can be best for the players and best for the coaches," he said at a news conference today. Jim Molinari will coach the team on an interim basis.

Sid Hartman, Star Tribune
    Gophers men's basketball coach Dan Monson resigned today. He announced the move at an afternoon news conference.

Monson received an extension before the 2002-03 season and would have been due a $1 million buyout had he been terminated. By agreeing to the resignation, he and his lawyer were able to negotiate a buyout of slightly less than $1.2 million with university officials.

Assistant coach Jim Molinari will be the team's interim coach.

"A new voice can be best for the players and best for the coaches," Monson said. "I feel for our players. We had a meeting with them. It's a tough time for them ... you do become family, and they're struggling right now.

"I leave with a great deal of pride. I didn't accomplish what I expected to do on the court ... but I have no apologies. This is a program with great respect off the court."

The Gophers suffered a 90-68 loss to Clemson Wednesday to fall to 2-5 for the season.

Monson, 45, was in his eighth season at Minnesota and had a 118-106 record, including 44-68 in the Big Ten.

"This is a decision based on more than one game," athletic director Joel Maturi said. "We just felt it was best to accept Dan's resignation at this time."

Monson was hired before the 1999 season after former coach Clem Haskins received a buyout following reports of massive academic fraud within his program. Monson subsequently inherited a program that received severe NCAA sanctions when the NCAA found Haskins' program guilty of numerous violations..

Monson led the program to four NIT berths and an NCAA tournament appearance in 2004-05. But after the surprising 21-11 record in 2004-05, criticism began mounting last season when the Gophers fell to 5-11 in the Big Ten and another NIT berth. Attendance at Williams Arena had decreased in recent seasons, a concern for an athletic program that depended on men's basketball income to help maintain the athletic budget. Average home attendance averaged around 14,000 under Haskins, but dipped to 10,258 last season, the lowest since 1970-71.

Molinari, 51, is in his third season as an assistant with the Gophers. He was the head coach for 11 years at Bradley (1991-2002) and for two at Northern Illinois (1989-91).

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Gophers coach Monson resigns

Ah Damn I just found the other post. My bad

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: Gophers coach Monson resigns

Yeah, if you don't get the news story right as it comes off the presses there is no chance you'll be the first one to post it! lol

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!