Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Good Question: Why Do Sports Parents Misbehave?

I believe in encouragement and positive reinforcement for my children.
    Everyone has there own opinion.
    I will say this though, and let me know your opinions.
    When I was a kid we were more competitive starting at a younger age.
    It did not matter what we were playing, little league, kick ball, football in the backyard with the neighborhood kids, tag at recess, or even bb gun fights.
    We new that winning was better than losing, and never wanted to lose.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I can mention a few of you on here who also get that way over a certain team that you have no real parental ownership over........
    Am I or any other parent that different from you
    ;D
    LOL.
    I think it is probably the same thing when I get excited or upset over the officiating at a Vikings game (although I try to keep reminding myself that a bad call rarely changes the outcome of a game).

Personally I think that as the level of play grows, the intensity is allowed to grow as well.

What may be considered acceptable at an NFL game shouldn't be happening at a pee wee game.
    So you are giving me permission to be a bit more intense this year at his golf tournaments?
    ;D

What till Wildwoman hears that.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

I experienced some of that coaching T-ball, of all things.
    These little guys are doing a great job for their level and some parents expect them to be turning double plays.
    Crazy.
    One asshat parent came up to me during a game this year and threatened me because he didn't think his kid was getting enough of an opportunity to play shortstop (i rotated them all around).
    I pulled him aside and told him he is an asshole and he should really think about what he is saying (btw, we only lost one game...so it's not like the team sucked).
    He said he was going to kick my ass, i laughed in his face and told him to bring it on after all the people left from the park.
    He didn't stick around.
    Some people are functioning retards, that's just the way it is.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"Prophet" wrote:
    I experienced some of that coaching T-ball, of all things.
    These little guys are doing a great job for their level and some parents expect them to be turning double plays.
    Crazy.
    One asshat parent came up to me during a game this year and threatened me because he didn't think his kid was getting enough of an opportunity to play shortstop (i rotated them all around).
    I pulled him aside and told him he is an donkey butt and he should really think about what he is saying (btw, we only lost one game...so it's not like the team sucked).
    He said he was going to kick my jiggly butt, i laughed in his face and told him to bring it on after all the people left from the park.
    He didn't stick around.
    Some people are functioning Challenged Hillybilly Lovers, that's just the way it is.
    I always found it pretty comical that coaches and managers of the Little League teams are volunteers, out there teaching someone elses kid to play ball and the dick head parents always think they can do a better job but will never get off thier ass other than to criticize.

I for one would never belittle a coach.
    Learned that from playing sports and being on the end of it as Prophet mentions above.

They are truely great americans.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

LOL.

"Some people are functioning retards, that's just the way it is." - is that Thomas Hobbes?

Need another quote for the bottom of your sig 'Dro?

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

"Billy" wrote:
    LOL.

"Some people are functioning Challenged Hillybilly Lovers, that's just the way it is." - is that Thomas Hobbes?

Need another quote for the bottom of your sig 'Dro?
    I don't know.
    That might be hitting to close to home for me
    ;D

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Boy, this is one of those tricky subjects.

First off, nobody likes to hear a loud mouthed parent in the stands.
    I get's old, and it's borderline unsportmanslike.

Having coached myself, I understand that parents have a more complete picture of their child & his/her ambitions.
    The Coach only sees a certain side of the player.
    I found success in having a parents only meeting before the season begins, and addressing the issue.
    I welcome everyone to participate and help me on the field, or if you really notice something with your child, to share it with me, or quietly & quickly pull your child aside between innings / quarters.
    The danger with that is you can lose control, but if managed properly the parents can be an ally . . . instead of a negative force.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"sleepagent" wrote:
    Boy, this is one of those tricky subjects.

First off, nobody likes to hear a loud mouthed parent in the stands.
    I get's old, and it's borderline unsportmanslike.

Having coached myself, I understand that parents have a more complete picture of their child & his/her ambitions.
    The Coach only sees a certain side of the player.
    I found success in having a parents only meeting before the season begins, and addressing the issue.
    I welcome everyone to participate and help me on the field, or if you really notice something with your child, to share it with me, or quietly & quickly pull your child aside between innings / quarters.
    The danger with that is you can lose control, but if managed properly the parents can be an ally . . . instead of a negative force.
    That's very true.
    The thing is, in my experience at the lowest level-T-ball, I offer any parents that want to help out to join in on the practices.
    Very few do.
    The few asshats are also the ones that have no participation in coaching when it's an open offer.
    If fact, the asshat I was referring to was one of the kids I actually had to pick up and take to the practices and most of the games (with their permission)...because they couldn't be bothered by it.

Crazy world.
    Sad when children are adversely affected by it.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

These parents forget the real reason for having your kids play sports which is to keep them active, healthy and having fun.
    Nobody has fun when parents act like idiots and kids are often dissuaded to play when parents push too hard.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Competition is a good thing . . . it's what makes this country great.
    However, when it comes to the little guys . . . it needs to be about the fun and feeling of acomplishment.

By the time a child reaches High School, it's time to put up or shut up though.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12