Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

Good Question: Why Do Sports Parents Misbehave?

[size=10pt]Good Question: Why Do Sports Parents Misbehave?[/size]
    Ben Tracy
    Reporting

(WCCO) As moms and dads, we all want to support our kids in sports and make sure they're being treated fairly. However, there is a point where shouting from the sidelines turns ugly.

A Twin Cities father is accused of threatening to shoot his son's coach because his child was not getting enough playing time. That's definitely one extreme, but we've all seen grown-ups lose it over what's supposed to be a friendly competition.

"I don't like it," said one baseball mom in St. Paul.

"It's depressing," said a father.

The Center for Sports Parenting says 85 percent of parents have witnessed verbal abuse at games and 40 percent have seen physical abuse. They give sports parents an overall D-grade for their behavior.

"Most parents just need to relax a little bit," said one mom watching her son play baseball in St. Paul's Highland Park.

"What kind of example are we setting for our kids," asked another.
    Full Article:
    http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_177203105.html
    -Sno

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Good Question: Why Do Sports Parents Misbehave?

Those parents are just trying to make up for "deficiencies" in their own past and present lives!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

The parents sucked at sports didn't make a team, and are living through their kids.
    I coached little league baseball for 3 years.
    When the parents acted like jackasses I made their kid go sit with them the rest of the game.
    The parent would leave me alone from then on.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Those parents are just trying to make up for "deficiencies" in their own past and present lives!
    You hit the nail on the head I guess :'(.

I for one will attest that I am a bit overzealous when it comes to my son and his endevours to play BB and Golf at various levels.

I have never been thrown out of a baseball game but I have been warned by the coaches to leave him alone during golf tournaments.

My failings as a father for wanting nothing but the best for my son.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Json is offline GM

I can't stand when other people tell people how to raise there children.
    If they are not mentally or physically abusing the child or anything else illegal, then what and the hell gives you the right to push your parenting skills on to somebody?
    Sure some parents can come off a little harsh but thats between them and ther child.
    Fricken Liberals.

Iwantmy$2 is offline Training Camp

In my opinion the pressure put on the kid to perform for those unruly (not all Marrdo) parents is more harmful than anything.
    I had to get on my ex about it at my daughters games because it was tearing my daughter up.
    When my ex wouldn't be there she would perform much better.
    Same with my cousins kid crying because he came in 2nd to the #1 BMX Racer in a nationals race.
    He was afraid of disappointing my hyped up cousin (who by the way wants the best for his son).

I just think there is a line.
    The definition of where the line is can be different for different people.

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

This is why I am gonna shove McDonalds and pizza rolls in my kids face to keep him happy and make sure he knows he can be a nobody in life if he wants. I don't want my kids to be scarred like these freaks do their kids.

'Dro I am sure the Wildchild appreciates your aspiration for him and time you commited to him.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Billy" wrote:
    This is why I am gonna shove McDonalds and pizza rolls in my kids face to keep him happy and make sure he knows he can be a nobody in life if he wants. I don't want my kids to be scarred like these freaks do their kids.

'Dro I am sure the Wildchild appreciates your aspiration for him and time you commited to him.
    Thanks.
    I'm not as bad I as I came off, especially around my son. My irational behavior is more directed umpires and at other parents who say things about him or other kids trying to make thier kids look good.

When Wildman (He got that nickname from his pitching prowess) started to move up in LL I no longer managed him but rather coached against him.
    Thought it was better that way.

Anyway my point is that I can understand how parents can/will live vicariously through thier kids to a point that is anal.
    I think most of the time it is directly related to whether that parent played sports and how competitive they were at them.

I for one wasn't very good at sports but because of the size of my town almost everyone made the team and I got the opportunity to play hockey, football, baseball and track.
    It didn't matter that I wasn't the greatest athlete I still always was very competitive and wanted to win.
    Some of that comes out during an event.

I can mention a few of you on here who also get that way over a certain team that you have no real parental ownership over........
    Am I or any other parent that different from you
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Json" wrote:
    I can't stand when other people tell people how to raise there children.
    If they are not mentally or physically abusing the child or anything else illegal, then what and the hell gives you the right to push your parenting skills on to somebody?
    Sure some parents can come off a little harsh but thats between them and ther child.
    Fricken Liberals.
    It is one thing to be harsh on your kids.
    Although I personally disagree with it, that is my choice in parenting.

This article, however, was talking ore about parents who lose control at sporting events.
    Threatening too shoot coaches, getting into fist fights at games or practice, etc.
    That type of behavior cannot be tolerated.

And never forget that sports are supposed to be fun.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I can mention a few of you on here who also get that way over a certain team that you have no real parental ownership over........
    Am I or any other parent that different from you
    ;D
    LOL.
    I think it is probably the same thing when I get excited or upset over the officiating at a Vikings game (although I try to keep reminding myself that a bad call rarely changes the outcome of a game).

Personally I think that as the level of play grows, the intensity is allowed to grow as well.

What may be considered acceptable at an NFL game shouldn't be happening at a pee wee game.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast