Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 71
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    ST. CLOUD MN
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Going Back to school at a 'later' age. Smart or grasping at straws?

    "lakehubertviking" wrote:
    "STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES" wrote:
    As for having the money, that's what grants are for, as my GI Bill is gone.
    That sucks man.
    To be honest I forgot there was an expiration on it until you posted that.
    To me the GI Bill is kind of a scam.
    It sounds like a good deal at the time but if I'd taken a cash bonus and invested it for the ten years I was in I'm sure I'd have more than whatever I end up using from my GI bill.
    If they were to raise the monthly amount so that you could actually live off it and go to school at the same time it might be better.


    You might want to check with a VA education type person and see if they know of an online school that gives more credit than others toward the degree you're looking for based on your military experience.
    I ended up going with Thomas Edison State College out of NJ for mine because after my previous college and military experience I really only needed a few courses to finish up but they're only regionally accredited and I honestly don't know if they even have actual classrooms or if it's only online which might make a difference to potential employers.
    I went to school for one semester, and still paying the $100/month for a year was well worth it. As far as finding other schools, i'm picking a small, easy school
    to get into, that's close to me for a reason. While the 'campus' is pretty close, it's no more convenient then doing everything online.

    The school i would be enrolled at, will give me a 10% discount on tuition, because i'm a veteran. I really didn't do a lot in the navy, that would transition into a regular civilian life. Unless i found a job, on a barge on lake michigan, or something.

    My wife will continue to work, and i will continue to watch our boys during the day. I'll just do my school work after they are in beds, during naps and on weekends.


    The ribbon is the 'Gulf War Ribbon'.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

    -I need a new liver. Please join us for a spaghetti dinner and silent auction benefit.
    -January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -$10 covers spaghetti, salad and bread.
    -Anoka American Legion.

  2. #22
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,569

    Re: Going Back to school at a 'later' age. Smart or grasping at straws?

    Go back to school and wreck the curve for the lazy youngsters that don't want to study

  3. #23
    Garland Greene's Avatar
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Going Back to school at a 'later' age. Smart or grasping at straws?

    "lakehubertviking" wrote:
    "STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES" wrote:
    As for having the money, that's what grants are for, as my GI Bill is gone.
    That sucks man.
    To be honest I forgot there was an expiration on it until you posted that.
    To me the GI Bill is kind of a scam.
    It sounds like a good deal at the time but if I'd taken a cash bonus and invested it for the ten years I was in I'm sure I'd have more than whatever I end up using from my GI bill.
    If they were to raise the monthly amount so that you could actually live off it and go to school at the same time it might be better.


    You might want to check with a VA education type person and see if they know of an online school that gives more credit than others toward the degree you're looking for based on your military experience.
    I ended up going with Thomas Edison State College out of NJ for mine because after my previous college and military experience I really only needed a few courses to finish up but they're only regionally accredited and I honestly don't know if they even have actual classrooms or if it's only online which might make a difference to potential employers.
    There is to things to know. You want your college to be regionally accredited. All State Schools and your repitable private schools ghhave a regional accreditation.
    What is means that, each section of teh country is diveded up into regions. In MN it is the North Central Region, By the Higher Leaning Association. For example The University of MN is regionally accredited. It is when you get into the National accreditation that you can(and many people have) run into issues. I know it seems weird but National accreditation is actually worse to have. One reason is that alot of National accreditation belong to for profit schools. In other words they are in teh business to make money. They could schools all over teh country and use a blanket accrediation for all of them.

    As far as online goes, see my above statement about accreditation. Do your homework. Keep in mind that all schools are accredited. But ask if they are regionally accredited, and look online at their website, or through the higher learning commission. There are actually alot of really great online universities out there Capella is in MN and is a great school.
    They also partner with alot of the major businesses in MN (Best Buy is one). So it might not make a difference. again just do your homework both before going to school (And during
    )

  4. #24
    Garland Greene's Avatar
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Going Back to school at a 'later' age. Smart or grasping at straws?

    "STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES" wrote:
    "lakehubertviking" wrote:
    "STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES" wrote:
    As for having the money, that's what grants are for, as my GI Bill is gone.
    That sucks man.
    To be honest I forgot there was an expiration on it until you posted that.
    To me the GI Bill is kind of a scam.
    It sounds like a good deal at the time but if I'd taken a cash bonus and invested it for the ten years I was in I'm sure I'd have more than whatever I end up using from my GI bill.
    If they were to raise the monthly amount so that you could actually live off it and go to school at the same time it might be better.


    You might want to check with a VA education type person and see if they know of an online school that gives more credit than others toward the degree you're looking for based on your military experience.
    I ended up going with Thomas Edison State College out of NJ for mine because after my previous college and military experience I really only needed a few courses to finish up but they're only regionally accredited and I honestly don't know if they even have actual classrooms or if it's only online which might make a difference to potential employers.
    I went to school for one semester, and still paying the $100/month for a year was well worth it. As far as finding other schools, i'm picking a small, easy school
    to get into, that's close to me for a reason. While the 'campus' is pretty close, it's no more convenient then doing everything online.

    The school i would be enrolled at, will give me a 10% discount on tuition, because i'm a veteran. I really didn't do a lot in the navy, that would transition into a regular civilian life. Unless i found a job, on a barge on lake michigan, or something.

    My wife will continue to work, and i will continue to watch our boys during the day. I'll just do my school work after they are in beds, during naps and on weekends.


    Don't pick a school just for those 2 reasons. Pick a school that you feel that you can learn and be successful at. Most schools offer some sort of advantage for Veterans these days so that is nothing that is unique to that school.
    But keep in mind that Rassmussen is a nice school but they are 2-3 times more than some of the other schools that you could go to in your area or close to. As well as some online schools as well. So even with your 10% off tuition it still may be more expensive than a school that is more of a better fit for you than Rassmussen, but it may not either. By just picking a school students, especially non traditional students tend to do wore than if they actually found a school that is the best fit for them. I always tell students to look at it this way.


    If you had to have a doctor to give you a life saving operation and you got to choose would you choose the first one that cam along? The most expensive? the cheapest? Went to a well named school? or would you pick one that you felt would do the best job and did what needed to be done?

  5. #25
    Schutz's Avatar
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Going Back to school at a 'later' age. Smart or grasping at straws?

    Career wise and future money wise not entirely sure if going back to school is going to be a benefit.
    Well career wise probably but not sure about money.
    But I mostly did it so I could prove to myself that I could do it and get into an office instead of loading meal trucks the rest of my life.
    If I don't make up the lost wages from going to school over my life I don't really care I just love having the classes and doing the whole college thing.
    I wish I would have worked fulltime before the first time I went to school because I've been alot more driven and a much better student the second time around.
    Time will tell if it was the best decision money wise but I know it was a good decision for my mental health and future happiness.

  6. #26
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Going Back to school at a 'later' age. Smart or grasping at straws?

    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    Go back to school and wreck the curve for the lazy youngsters that don't want to study
    LOL.
    Yup.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #27
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Going Back to school at a 'later' age. Smart or grasping at straws?

    "STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES" wrote:
    I've been exploring the possibility of going back to school. I'm no spring chicken, at 36. Well, with my youngest will be in preschool in less then 2 yrs. so i will be needing a career at some point. I went to a tech. college, and got a 'certificate' and now have a Class 'B' CDL.
    I'm hoping to get into the criminal justice field, and potentially become a Parole or Probation officer. I'm not much for a desk, suit and tie, so we'll see. It's not like i'd be going to SCSU, it's just Rasmussen College, and online no less.

    Anyone else going or went back to school, at an "accelerated" age?
    Welllll, I was called dumb in another thread so I am not so sure my input is worth anything, however, I do alot of hiring and firing.

    When I look at a persons resume I look for two things....

    Education
    Experience

    Most of the time its nice to get your education and have experience behind it to make you a well rounded candidate, however, to date, I've never turned a candidate for a job down cause he just worked a job and put himself through another class or two.

    Love cats like that.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #28
    PurpleTide's Avatar
    PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,210

    Re: Going Back to school at a 'later' age. Smart or grasping at straws?

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES" wrote:
    I've been exploring the possibility of going back to school. I'm no spring chicken, at 36. Well, with my youngest will be in preschool in less then 2 yrs. so i will be needing a career at some point. I went to a tech. college, and got a 'certificate' and now have a Class 'B' CDL.
    I'm hoping to get into the criminal justice field, and potentially become a Parole or Probation officer. I'm not much for a desk, suit and tie, so we'll see. It's not like i'd be going to SCSU, it's just Rasmussen College, and online no less.

    Anyone else going or went back to school, at an "accelerated" age?
    Welllll, I was called dumb in another thread so I am not so sure my input is worth anything, however, I do alot of hiring and firing.

    When I look at a persons resume I look for two things....

    Education
    Experience

    Most of the time its nice to get your education and have experience behind it to make you a well rounded candidate, however, to date, I've never turned a candidate for a job down cause he just worked a job and put himself through another class or two.

    Love cats like that.

    ;D
    I too, got tired of digging holes with a j-bar and framing foundations in 100 degree weather, so at the ripe old age of 36 I went to ITT Tech, and got my Associate Of Applied Science Degree in Electronics Engineering Tecnology. It doesn't guarantee continue's employment, but my salary has increase'd some. Sitting at a computer, or a microscope, or in the lab is much better than busting my backside in the sun all summer. Now I have 12+ years experience, and am thinking about going back to school again. My advice is go back to school, it is worth it.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    ST. CLOUD MN
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Going Back to school at a 'later' age. Smart or grasping at straws?

    Thanks for the encouragement, i appreciate it. I'm going to talk to the guy at rasmussen today at 3:30. Should be about an hour. I'll have a better idea what to expect by the time i'm done. I'll keep everyone posted.
    The ribbon is the 'Gulf War Ribbon'.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

    -I need a new liver. Please join us for a spaghetti dinner and silent auction benefit.
    -January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -$10 covers spaghetti, salad and bread.
    -Anoka American Legion.

  10. #30
    lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    618

    Re: Going Back to school at a 'later' age. Smart or grasping at straws?

    "Garland" wrote:
    There is to things to know. You want your college to be regionally accredited. All State Schools and your repitable private schools ghhave a regional accreditation.
    What is means that, each section of teh country is diveded up into regions. In MN it is the North Central Region, By the Higher Leaning Association. For example The University of MN is regionally accredited. It is when you get into the National accreditation that you can(and many people have) run into issues. I know it seems weird but National accreditation is actually worse to have. One reason is that alot of National accreditation belong to for profit schools. In other words they are in teh business to make money. They could schools all over teh country and use a blanket accrediation for all of them.

    As far as online goes, see my above statement about accreditation. Do your homework. Keep in mind that all schools are accredited. But ask if they are regionally accredited, and look online at their website, or through the higher learning commission. There are actually alot of really great online universities out there Capella is in MN and is a great school.
    They also partner with alot of the major businesses in MN (Best Buy is one). So it might not make a difference. again just do your homework both before going to school (And during
    )
    Thanks for the info.
    I just googled "accredited online schools" when I was trying to decide if I should stick with that choice and didn't see it on there.
    Then checked their site and found they were "regionally accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools."
    Which means nothing to me.
    I was mostly worried about whether a brick and mortar school would give me credit if I tried to further my education down the road sometime.

    Anyway, good luck STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Udeze going back to school
    By Garland Greene in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2009, 04:42 PM
  2. Uni Watch: Back-to-school edition
    By Prophet in forum College Ball
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-29-2008, 10:48 AM
  3. Wish I had this game back at my high school
    By C-PepNSalt in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 09:28 AM
  4. back to school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
    By SamDawg84 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 04-20-2006, 10:54 PM
  5. This Just In! Bush Going Back To School!?!?
    By PurpleMafia in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-12-2006, 04:28 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •