Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Going Back to school at a 'later' age. Smart or grasping at straws?

"lakehubertviking" wrote:
    I would say smart if you have the money for school and some idea of what you want to do.

I went to college for about three years however I only got about 1.5 years of credits because I didn't know what I wanted so I was mainly going to keep my health insurance.
    I ended up doing time in the military and gave up my bonus to take a larger GI Bill total.
    I seperated last year and got a job I like based on my experience but I'm going to finish off the last few courses I need for my degree because you never know these days when you might be looking for a job unexpectedly and it can only help with promotions in the future.
    If i thought i was smart enough near the end of HS, i'd have gone to college. Instead, i decided the military is a better path for me. As for having the money, that's what grants are for, as my GI Bill is gone. I'm only looking at going to school for 2 years, at the most. If the school i'm going to talk to the adm. officer for tomorrow doesn't have what i want, i'll go somewhere else. I don't care about getting laid while in school, i have a wife for that( ;D), and i have never been high in my life, so that's not even an issue. I am not going to go into debt because of school. We are trying to buy a house, so the fact i'd be even farther from campus, makes the ability for me being able to 'go to class' online, that much more important. I'll say this, having
    a wife and kids causes a hell of alot more distractions then deciding what party to go to, or whether to smoke from a bong or a joint.
    The ribbon is the 'Gulf War Ribbon'.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

-I need a new liver. Please join us for a spaghetti dinner and silent auction benefit.
    -January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -$10 covers spaghetti, salad and bread.
    -Anoka American Legion.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

School is never a bad idea. Go for it!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Fedje did it at the age of 50+ & should be an inspiration to us all.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

36 is actually about the average age for going back to school. Honestly most of my students are about the same age if not older than me (I am 38 by the way and work at a 2 year technical college as a Academic Advisor), But I can say that there is alot of things to consider if you are looking at Criminal Justice. I will send you a PM with my contact info if you want some info or guidance please let me know.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I went right from high school into college and I am loving the fact now that I am way ahead of my friends who took time off before figuring out what they wanted to do.

But, going back to school is a great idea. I always support people going after higher educations. If you know what you want to do and what you want to get out of the degree, you can really get it done fast. I would advise fast tracking it, assuming your only goal is to get the degree and get to work after. Take summer courses, and a full course load in the fall and winter terms and you might be able to get a 4 year degree in 3 or less.
    We're bringing purple back.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I went back to school at age 30.

Got my degree and now have a career (not a job) making over 2x what I was making and now I have a pension, 100% 401k match, and bonuses.

I did it when my boys were 4 & 8.
    It was hard on the family but the payoff was huge.

Good luck!

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

For anyone who went to school later in life, how did you do it financially? Did you work full time or part time or not at all? What type of work did you do?
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

23.. I know it's not much later but 5 years after high school. I must do it because I have 4 children and don't wanna find myself struggling the rest of their lives. The good thing about having children is that they take it into consideration when it comes to your loans and grants. Also whenever I need work, they find a job in my area of study so I double my learning and get experience before schooling ends.

Must say, smartest thing I've decided to do.

lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach

"STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES" wrote:
    As for having the money, that's what grants are for, as my GI Bill is gone.
    That sucks man.
    To be honest I forgot there was an expiration on it until you posted that.
    To me the GI Bill is kind of a scam.
    It sounds like a good deal at the time but if I'd taken a cash bonus and invested it for the ten years I was in I'm sure I'd have more than whatever I end up using from my GI bill.
    If they were to raise the monthly amount so that you could actually live off it and go to school at the same time it might be better.

You might want to check with a VA education type person and see if they know of an online school that gives more credit than others toward the degree you're looking for based on your military experience.
    I ended up going with Thomas Edison State College out of NJ for mine because after my previous college and military experience I really only needed a few courses to finish up but they're only regionally accredited and I honestly don't know if they even have actual classrooms or if it's only online which might make a difference to potential employers.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"happy" wrote:
    For anyone who went to school later in life, how did you do it financially? Did you work full time or part time or not at all? What type of work did you do?
    I worked part-time at the job I had for 8 years.
    Wife worked full-time.

GI Bill paid for school and a little extra.
    It was tight, but well worth it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast