Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Going Back to school at a 'later' age. Smart or grasping at straws?

I've been exploring the possibility of going back to school. I'm no spring chicken, at 36. Well, with my youngest will be in preschool in less then 2 yrs. so i will be needing a career at some point. I went to a tech. college, and got a 'certificate' and now have a Class 'B' CDL.
    I'm hoping to get into the criminal justice field, and potentially become a Parole or Probation officer. I'm not much for a desk, suit and tie, so we'll see. It's not like i'd be going to SCSU, it's just Rasmussen College, and online no less.

Anyone else going or went back to school, at an "accelerated" age?
    The ribbon is the 'Gulf War Ribbon'.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

-I need a new liver. Please join us for a spaghetti dinner and silent auction benefit.
    -January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -$10 covers spaghetti, salad and bread.
    -Anoka American Legion.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Going Back to school at a 'later' age. Smart or grasping at straws?

I went back to school when I was 25.
    I was married when I started and had two kids when I finished.

I did much, much better in school by going when I did as opposed to going when I was 18.
    I had different priorities, and I went to class to learn, not just because it was expected of me.

I would highly recommend going back.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

I've debated this back and forth myself.
    At this point, I'm mostly happy with my job and don't really know what I would like to do, so it will probably be further in the future.

However I have several friends that are going back, my best friend is 30 and just got her BA and is continuing on for her Masters.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

My wife went back to school at 34 because her industry had pretty much dried up (high tech recruiting).
    She spent 3 years in law school and now has a job she loves that hopefully leads to my early retirement
    Her grades were much better than her undergrad grades probably due to the same reason that Nodak gives.

She will tell you that she was very glad she did it, even though it was expensive and a lot of work.

Went back when I was 27 (after dropping out of high school).
    Like NoDak said, your priorities change and you put more into your learning.
    Got my degree in Business which opened doors later on for computers, MCSE, PACS Training and management classes galore (the best one was "One Minute Manager" through the National Guard).
    Learning is a lifelong endevor and is rewarding in it's own right.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Go back.
    I just graduated this year at 28 and was able to raise my GPA significantly (from a C to a B average) the last 3 years due to my newfound commitment to learning.

Now it is time to get a job.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I went back to school when I was 25.
    I was married when I started and had two kids when I finished.

I did much, much better in school by going when I did as opposed to going when I was 18.
    I had different priorities, and I went to class to learn, not just because it was expected of me.

I would highly recommend going back.
    I'd tend to agree with this.
    Granted, i'm only 20 and can't speak for myself, but a good majority of college/university students have far too many distractions to do as well as they could.
    Lots of people will procrastinate, and find them selves partying or something else.
    At an older age, you have other priorities.
    I'm assuming have your own home, your own family, you won't
    be partying it up every other day in residence, experimenting with drugs and stuff like some college kids do, so you'll probably be able to focus better.
    You have an idea of whats expected of you, and will be more motivated to succeed.

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

I'm only 21, but it's never a bad idea to go back in school. I have the occasional older classmate, and by far they take class much more seriously, and seem to enjoy the whole learning environment more.

I'd recommend taking some classes that in addition to taking classes for whatever your desired major may be that you also take classes that interest you. You'll learn some pretty cool stuff plus it makes the whole learning atmosphere of college much more enjoyable.

Do it, I never hear of anyone regretting getting education

lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach

I would say smart if you have the money for school and some idea of what you want to do.

I went to college for about three years however I only got about 1.5 years of credits because I didn't know what I wanted so I was mainly going to keep my health insurance.
    I ended up doing time in the military and gave up my bonus to take a larger GI Bill total.
    I seperated last year and got a job I like based on my experience but I'm going to finish off the last few courses I need for my degree because you never know these days when you might be looking for a job unexpectedly and it can only help with promotions in the future.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

If you want to get laid go to college, if you want an education go to the library.
    jk, I always liked that one. I think going back to school is usually a good idea. It'll be tough but should pay off in the long run. I wouldn't recommend someone just out of highschool take time off though, most never go back.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast