Geek alert: SSD Technology

Intel has got it together with Solid State Drive (SSD) Technology.
    This article has the bench marks with 4 SSDs in Raid 0 vs a single 15K SAS drive and 6 SASs in Raid 0.
    WOW!
    Now if only they can get the price down a whole lot I can finally get my dream machine.

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/04/ss...00rpm.php#more

For non-geeks, what are the advantages of SSD besides blazing speed?

They're small. The four Intel X25-E SATA solid state drives we tested are actually 2.5-inch drives (each now selling for $848) adapted by Western Digital to fit into 3.5-inch drive cages. Surrounding the small and thin enclosures are heat sinks, hardly needed because these drives barely heat up at all.

They are completely silent. We loaded Windows XP onto an array of four of these drives, and the only drive noise we heard was the whine of the DVD as it offloaded its data onto the 4-SSD volume. Once the data was onto the drives, there was none of that mechanical grinding, clinking, humming and groaning that normally emanates from fast spinning drives. It's an eerie silence, but wonderfully serene.

They're fast. Intel's figured out how to get these NAND chips to access small files, a former weakness that was holding SSDs back. Using "Native Command Queuing" with a 10-channel flash controller, seek time is minimized, and the result is some lickety-split performance. It's almost as fast as RAM, but unlike RAM, that data permanently sticks to the solid-state disk, rather than going away when the PC is shut down as it does with RAM.
    Bad news?

They're still not perfect. While we didn't see any degradation in our four "single-level cell" (SLC) drives' performance after multiple tests, other reviewers have seen that problem in multi-level cell (MLC) devices such as Intel's 80GB and 160GB drives, saying that they slowed down as more data was written to them, and defragmentation utilities only made matters worse. But Intel's working on this problem, and recently released new firmware for those 80GB and 160GB SSDs that reportedly fixed the problem. Still, this is new tech, and not everything about it is perfect yet. Sounds like a good reason to wait awhile before jumping into the SSD game. Here's one last, and very big reason to wait:

They're crazy expensive. It's definitely not time to buy these suckers, oh no. Just watch and enjoy the tech for now and let the early adopters spend $1000 apiece for 64GB drives. That's roughly 4x-4.5x the price of already-pricey 15K SAS drives. Two years from now, many more drives will be solid-state, because prices will have plummeted to an affordable level, and those pesky fragmentation issues will be solved. Until then, rest assured that you've seen the future, and it's solid state
    When the price becomes more competitive I am upgrading.

CaPM is offline Training Camp

Re: Geek alert: SSD Technology

By the time the prices are more reasonable, I'm expecting them to have finished ironing out the kinks.
    The first gen SSD's were novelty-cool, but didn't perform up to expectation.
    The new intel and samsung models are finally starting to shine, but still have their weak points.
    My guess is in 6 months you'll be able to get one that is uniformly faster than a spinning plate AND reasonably priced.
    I've been waiting since '97 for the death of the rotating platter, our biggest performance bottleneck then and now.

Did you ever come across any ram-as-hd units?
    iRam i think they were called (how original), you could slot in a mess of RAM sticks then address them like they were a unified drive.
    How's THAT for a geek flashback (I had one at a whopping 8 gigs lol).

"CaPM" wrote:
    By the time the prices are more reasonable, I'm expecting them to have finished ironing out the kinks.
    The first gen SSD's were novelty-cool, but didn't perform up to expectation.
    The new intel and samsung models are finally starting to shine, but still have their weak points.
    My guess is in 6 months you'll be able to get one that is uniformly faster than a spinning plate AND reasonably priced.
    I've been waiting since '97 for the death of the rotating platter, our biggest performance bottleneck then and now.

Did you ever come across any ram-as-hd units?
    iRam i think they were called (how original), you could slot in a mess of RAM sticks then address them like they were a unified drive.
    How's THAT for a geek flashback (I had one at a whopping 8 gigs lol).
    Some systems can get real crazy.
    Check this out:

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/03/day-0-hands-on.php

Would love to have it, but the wife almost had a heart attack when I showed it to her. ;D

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Okay solid state is "COOL" stuff.

However keep in mind it has limits to the amount of writes you can perform to the memory.

It will FAIL faster than a normal harddrive.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

CaPM is offline Training Camp

Goofy vid, but the array he builds is crazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs