Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Gas War: Station Sets Price at 49 Cents

CLOVIS, N.M. - A price war between two Clovis gasoline stations reached a fever pitch when one store dropped its fuel price to 49 cents per gallon.

The price war between Town and Country and Allsup's convenience stores snarled traffic in the eastern New Mexico town as about 200 vehicles lined up Wednesday to buy cheap gas, blocking the stores and a local fire station, Clovis Fire Marshal Allan Silvers said.

Silvers said he put an end to the battle because the traffic was a public safety hazard. He asked the stores "if there was anything they could do reasonably to remedy the situation."

Allsup's raised its fuel price from 49 cents to $2.83 a gallon and Town and Country raised its 99 cents per gallon price tag to $2.86, Silvers said.

"They raised prices on their own accord to dispel the traffic and after that was done, as you can imagine, people lost interest," Silvers said.

On Tuesday, the stores were selling below wholesale costs.

Dan McCurdy, a spokesman for Town and Country Food Stores, told The Clovis News-Journal on Tuesday that the competition has been going for several weeks. He said the Allsup's store has dropped its price per gallon to remain an average of 3 cents lower than Town and Country.

"In very simple terms, we're staying competitive with our competitors. We're not going to lose our customers because they're offering a lower price," McCurdy said.

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2006/07/27/ap/strange/d8j4m0rg0.txt

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Gas War: Station Sets Price at 49 Cents

thats gay..

i think the price war is good. good for capitalism. i know is my town when a gas station is cheaper than the other by a cent, the more expensive one doesnt get any customers, and the cheaper one is packed. fire marshall should have organized the 'safety hazards'. thats the problem with government getting involved in our personal lifes
    i m better than you, so just give up...

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Dang!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I thought there were regulations on this type of thing. Maybe it's just a Minnesota law, but I'm pretty sure everybody has to stay within a certain price range. A couple of gas stations in Fridly got in trouble last year for selling gas too cheap.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this.

vikes4ever88 is offline Training Camp

$2.83 a gallon? Wow, thats still pretty good compared here in Los Angeles. $3.15 is considered cheap gas here.

"vikes4ever88" wrote:
    $2.83 a gallon? Wow, thats still pretty good compared here in Los Angeles. $3.15 is considered cheap gas here.
    Yeah, but you folks in L.A. bring in at least twice the income the people in NM bring in. Still sucks though.

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "vikes4ever88" wrote:
    Yeah, but you folks in L.A. bring in at least twice the income the people in NM bring in. Still sucks though.
    That's not true.. The demand is greater there, the supply is less there, the price is greater there, not necessarily that Californians makes more.
    i m better than you, so just give up...

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    I thought there were regulations on this type of thing. Maybe it's just a Minnesota law, but I'm pretty sure everybody has to stay within a certain price range. A couple of gas stations in Fridly got in trouble last year for selling gas too cheap.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this.
    I've heard that too.

If a station wants to sell gas for less than they purchase it for, I say great! Gas stations do it every day with Coke and Pepsi products. I know, I was a Coke delivery driver for a short while and was a little baffled by this for a while, until you think about it. It's all about getting people to shop at your station vs. the next guy.

The American Way.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

The gas station pays for the gas too, so they should be allowed to lose money on it if they want to.

Thats what capitalism is all about right. I don't see why there would or should be restrictions. LOWER THAT GAS!!! It would make my life so much easier. I don't think a whole lot of people would be complaining.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast