Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: French Ban The Words 'email', 'blog' and 'post box'.

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    Sports commentators are asked to avoid "coach" and "corner" and instead say "entraineur" and "coup de pied de coin".

So if the NFL ever plays a game in France (perish the thought as football is so brutish)...we will hear them refer to the "coffin corner" as the "coffin coup de pied de coin"? I can't see that making the highlight films.
    lol now there's a thought, and some other expressions would be:
    offensive line - ligne blessante
    All Day - toute la journée
    touchdown - atterrissage
    green bay sucks - le dos de vert suce

loses a little in translation I think
    ;D

C'est excellent! Je l'aime.

hit the hole - frapper le trou
    buttonhook - tire-bouton
    down and in - en bas et dans
    post pattern - poster le modèle
    and for when Jacksonville plays in France..

Troy Wiiliamson drops the ball again ! - Troy Wiiliamson laisse tomber la boule encore !

;D

Key word is "encore"... ;D
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Schutz" wrote:

Because that's what they brought to the American Revoution with great frenchmen like Lafyette?
    Or how about sacrifice and lost generation in WWI?
    I know it's in jest, but the French get a bad rep because they were run over by one of the most powerful tank divisions of modern warfare.
    I'm not going to say the French are pussies, but the Germans used France like a clown car.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:

Because that's what they brought to the American Revoution with great frenchmen like Lafyette?
    I know it's in jest, but the French get a bad rep because they were run over by one of the most powerful tank divisions of modern warfare.
    I'm not going to say the French are pussies, but the Germans used France like a clown car.
    True, Napolean was a Batar'd (french) welped on his mommie by a midget Prussian. Thats why he won so mant battles. He wasn't %100 french. But like the French and German heritage, he found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I must clarify: The french ALWAYS find a way to lose. Germany just listened to that a**hole Hitler. Without him, the good German folks would have avoided war.
    Tuco the world.....

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

"BBQ" wrote:
    Wow.
    Their government is so bloated and all-pervasive that it gets to determine CULTURE, too?
    What a goddamned waste of public money.
    You can't stop the people from using English words, listening to English language music, and watching films originally made in English if that's what they want to do.

Such an institution is ridiculous and should be abolished immediately, to be replaced by a revolutionary invention - "dictionaries," which are produced by private institutions called "publishing companies."
    The beauty of it is that it requires no direct public funding.
    Bookstores and educational institutions will PURCHASE these "dictionaries" and use them for playing Scrabble.
    Oops, I'm sorry - "le Scrabble."
    Don't go to Quebec

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

[img width=450 height=718]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/OldDrummer55/112387.jpg[/img]

Fook the frogs...
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

Hey Anglo!
    Did the mighty frog war machine ever buy one of your carriers?
    ;D

http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/478-97.aspx
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "scottishvike" wrote:
    Email and podcasts are giving French officials nightmares - because citizens are calling them by their English names.

Now the culture ministry in Paris has issued a list of "banned" foreign words which they have noticed are increasingly used by French people.
    Another reason to love the French.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/03/12/french-ban-the-words-email-blog-and-post-box-89520-20348325/

*EASY JOKE ALERT*

And yet, they hold on the to the foreign words of "Surrender" and "Collapse" and "Bend over and let the Germans do us in the jiggly butt yet again" alive in their language.

=Z=
    How about the words honor and military training?
    its hard to be run over when you're constantly a mile or more in front of said tanks..
    And they smell bad, even at that distance.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

6-KINGS is offline Asst. Coach

"PacNWVike" wrote:
    [img width=450 height=718]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/OldDrummer55/112387.jpg[/img]

Fook the frogs...
    OH MY GOD!!!

LMFAO.

The dreaded French!!

"VICTORY IS MINE!"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Jereamiah" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:

True, Napolean was a Batar'd (french) welped on his mommie by a midget Prussian. Thats why he won so mant battles. He wasn't %100 french. But like the French and German heritage, he found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I must clarify: The french ALWAYS find a way to lose. Germany just listened to that a**hole Hitler. Without him, the good German folks would have avoided war.
    Is a Corsican Island part of France?

I didn't pay to much attention in school but I thought the Italian island was later transferred to France.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_I_of_France

Awfull embarraasssssing that Frances greatest leader was actually from Italy.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Jereamiah" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:

Is a Corsican Island part of France?

I didn't pay to much attention in school but I thought the Italian island was later transferred to France.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_I_of_France

Awfull embarraasssssing that Frances greatest leader was actually from Italy.

Not sure (and don't have time for the research), but I thought Corsica was French and Sardinia was Italian.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast