Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1
    scottishvike's Avatar
    scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Posts
    1,714
    Blog Entries
    3

    French Ban The Words 'email', 'blog' and 'post box'.

    Email and podcasts are giving French officials nightmares - because citizens are calling them by their English names.

    Now the culture ministry in Paris has issued a list of "banned" foreign words which they have noticed are increasingly used by French people.
    Another reason to love the French.

    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/03/12/french-ban-the-words-email-blog-and-post-box-89520-20348325/


  2. #2
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: French Ban The Words 'email', 'blog' and 'post box'.

    France:
    The land of small penis' and hairy women.

  3. #3
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,778
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: French Ban The Words 'email', 'blog' and 'post box'.

    don't why they worry given the other words and phrases that they have made their own over the years including :
    calloboration
    we surrender
    run away !
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  4. #4
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: French Ban The Words 'email', 'blog' and 'post box'.

    "scottishvike" wrote:
    Email and podcasts are giving French officials nightmares - because citizens are calling them by their English names.

    Now the culture ministry in Paris has issued a list of "banned" foreign words which they have noticed are increasingly used by French people.
    Another reason to love the French.

    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/03/12/french-ban-the-words-email-blog-and-post-box-89520-20348325/

    *EASY JOKE ALERT*

    And yet, they hold on the to the foreign words of "Surrender" and "Collapse" and "Bend over and let the Germans do us in the ass yet again" alive in their language.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  5. #5
    Schutz's Avatar
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: French Ban The Words 'email', 'blog' and 'post box'.

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "scottishvike" wrote:
    Email and podcasts are giving French officials nightmares - because citizens are calling them by their English names.

    Now the culture ministry in Paris has issued a list of "banned" foreign words which they have noticed are increasingly used by French people.
    Another reason to love the French.

    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/03/12/french-ban-the-words-email-blog-and-post-box-89520-20348325/

    *EASY JOKE ALERT*

    And yet, they hold on the to the foreign words of "Surrender" and "Collapse" and "Bend over and let the Germans do us in the jiggly butt yet again" alive in their language.

    =Z=
    How about the words honor and military training?
    Because that's what they brought to the American Revoution with great frenchmen like Lafyette?
    Or how about sacrifice and lost generation in WWI?
    I know it's in jest, but the French get a bad rep because they were run over by one of the most powerful tank divisions of modern warfare.

  6. #6
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: French Ban The Words 'email', 'blog' and 'post box'.

    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "scottishvike" wrote:
    Email and podcasts are giving French officials nightmares - because citizens are calling them by their English names.

    Now the culture ministry in Paris has issued a list of "banned" foreign words which they have noticed are increasingly used by French people.
    Another reason to love the French.

    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/03/12/french-ban-the-words-email-blog-and-post-box-89520-20348325/

    *EASY JOKE ALERT*

    And yet, they hold on the to the foreign words of "Surrender" and "Collapse" and "Bend over and let the Germans do us in the jiggly butt yet again" alive in their language.

    =Z=
    How about the words honor and military training?
    Because that's what they brought to the American Revoution with great frenchmen like Lafyette?
    Or how about sacrifice and lost generation in WWI?
    I know it's in jest, but the French get a bad rep because they were run over by one of the most powerful tank divisions of modern warfare.
    No, the French get a bad rep because they believe they are truly superior to everyone else, even those countries who save their ass in war...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #7
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,778
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: French Ban The Words 'email', 'blog' and 'post box'.

    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "scottishvike" wrote:
    Email and podcasts are giving French officials nightmares - because citizens are calling them by their English names.

    Now the culture ministry in Paris has issued a list of "banned" foreign words which they have noticed are increasingly used by French people.
    Another reason to love the French.

    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/03/12/french-ban-the-words-email-blog-and-post-box-89520-20348325/

    *EASY JOKE ALERT*

    And yet, they hold on the to the foreign words of "Surrender" and "Collapse" and "Bend over and let the Germans do us in the jiggly butt yet again" alive in their language.

    =Z=
    How about the words honor and military training?
    Because that's what they brought to the American Revoution with great frenchmen like Lafyette?
    Or how about sacrifice and lost generation in WWI?
    I know it's in jest, but the French get a bad rep because they were run over by one of the most powerful tank divisions of modern warfare.
    its hard to be run over when you're constantly a mile or more in front of said tanks..
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  8. #8
    josdin00's Avatar
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,619

    Re: French Ban The Words 'email', 'blog' and 'post box'.

    Try doing a google search for "french military victories":

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=French+Military+Victories&btnG=Goog le+Search

  9. #9
    VikingMike's Avatar
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: French Ban The Words 'email', 'blog' and 'post box'.

    Sports commentators are asked to avoid "coach" and "corner" and instead say "entraineur" and "coup de pied de coin".

    So if the NFL ever plays a game in France (perish the thought as football is so brutish)...we will hear them refer to the "coffin corner" as the "coffin coup de pied de coin"? I can't see that making the highlight films.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

    Come from the land of the ice and snow...

  10. #10
    josdin00's Avatar
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,619

    Re: French Ban The Words 'email', 'blog' and 'post box'.

    "VikingMike" wrote:
    Sports commentators are asked to avoid "coach" and "corner" and instead say "entraineur" and "coup de pied de coin".

    So if the NFL ever plays a game in France (perish the thought as football is so brutish)...we will hear them refer to the "coffin corner" as the "coffin coup de pied de coin"? I can't see that making the highlight films.
    No, it would be a "coup de pied de coin de cercueil". It would be interesting to watch the stands in that game, though. The fans' "serviettes terribles" (terrible towels) would all be white. That's the only color they know how to wave.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-29-2009, 11:05 PM
  2. New Post notification email
    By Turboe in forum Help / Suggestion Box
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 03:20 PM
  3. Defenses will 'stack the box' against us all year
    By StillPurple in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-27-2007, 04:33 PM
  4. Da French IV
    By AngloVike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-25-2003, 08:43 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •