Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Former WWE/TNA wrestler "Test" found dead

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    You only need to know how to act stupid take steriods and read a script to be a "professional" wrestler
    Completely false. And couldn't you say essentially the same thing about NFL players? That's like saying while watching any professional sport/game "I could do that."

I haven't watched wrestling since 5th grade, so I'm not one of those wrestling fans that cry when their favorite wrestlers lose and can't accept the reality that it isn't real.

I don't think the NFL has already decided what team is going to win before they play
    And that changes what the individual wrestler needs to be capable of how?

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Mr" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    You only need to know how to act stupid take steriods and read a script to be a "professional" wrestler
    Completely false. And couldn't you say essentially the same thing about NFL players? That's like saying while watching any professional sport/game "I could do that."

I haven't watched wrestling since 5th grade, so I'm not one of those wrestling fans that cry when their favorite wrestlers lose and can't accept the reality that it isn't real.
    Comparing "Professional" wrestling to the NFL is laughable and pretty much negates your previous posts in this thread.

Just because you personally feel it's "real" does not make it so. When the WWE is selling "Wrestling", yet the actors aren't actually even hitting each other... that's fake.

Hence why Vince McMahon calls it "Sports Entertainment"... which is even a stretch in my opinion.
    Speaking of stretches, skewing my words to say that I think it's real is a HUGE one.

There is no doubt these guys have athletic ability, they obviously train hard to attain what they have. And that's all I'm trying to defend. I don't give a shit about wrestling, like I said in my previous post I haven't watched since the 5th grade.

And my comparison to the NFL made perfect sense in this context. BLV said that you only need to know how to take steroids and read a script. You could just as easily make a blanket statement like that about the NFL.
    You still compared the NFL to WWE.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"C" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:

Comparing "Professional" wrestling to the NFL is laughable and pretty much negates your previous posts in this thread.

Just because you personally feel it's "real" does not make it so. When the WWE is selling "Wrestling", yet the actors aren't actually even hitting each other... that's fake.

Hence why Vince McMahon calls it "Sports Entertainment"... which is even a stretch in my opinion.
    Speaking of stretches, skewing my words to say that I think it's real is a HUGE one.

There is no doubt these guys have athletic ability, they obviously train hard to attain what they have. And that's all I'm trying to defend. I don't give a shit about wrestling, like I said in my previous post I haven't watched since the 5th grade.

And my comparison to the NFL made perfect sense in this context. BLV said that you only need to know how to take steroids and read a script. You could just as easily make a blanket statement like that about the NFL.
    Indirectly. I compared making blanket statements about organizations.

Vikestand is offline Coordinator

"Mr" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    [quote author=BadlandsViking link=topic=50982.msg933798#msg933798 date=1239501843]

There is no doubt these guys have athletic ability, they obviously train hard to attain what they have. And that's all I'm trying to defend. I don't give a pooh about wrestling, like I said in my previous post I haven't watched since the 5th grade.

[/quote]

Ok you either have to be 7'0" 300lbs, 5'8" and able to do back flips or at all heights roided up. Hows that for a blanket statement? Wrestling was entertaining for me as a kid, kind of a joke now. Pretty impressed with athletic ability of the guys, but to say it's more dangerous than MMA is a blah comment. Have more died in wrestling? Ofcousre, thats what happens when your safety harness fails and you fall 60' to the ground. But the beating somebody takes in MMA is far worse, bar none. We haven't seen the long term affects from MMA because it just started getting big 6-7 years ago. Time will tell, then again anybody want to guess why these guys have a hard time getting out of bed? Why they are having heart attacks? Dbol does some crazy things......

By Pack93z

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the other with no loss of enthusiasm"-Sir Winston Churchill

"Vikestand" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    [quote author=Mr Anderson link=topic=50982.msg933809#msg933809 date=1239502742]
    [quote author=BadlandsViking link=topic=50982.msg933798#msg933798 date=1239501843]

There is no doubt these guys have athletic ability, they obviously train hard to attain what they have. And that's all I'm trying to defend. I don't give a pooh about wrestling, like I said in my previous post I haven't watched since the 5th grade.

[/quote]

Ok you either have to be 7'0" 300lbs, 5'8" and able to do back flips or at all heights roided up. Hows that for a blanket statement? Wrestling was entertaining for me as a kid, kind of a joke now. Pretty impressed with athletic ability of the guys, but to say it's more dangerous than MMA is a blah comment. Have more died in wrestling? Ofcousre, thats what happens when your safety harness fails and you fall 60' to the ground. But the beating somebody takes in MMA is far worse, bar none. We haven't seen the long term affects from MMA because it just started getting big 6-7 years ago. Time will tell, then again anybody want to guess why these guys have a hard time getting out of bed? Why they are having heart attacks? Dbol does some crazy things......
    [/quote]
    Actually guys don't take much of a beating in mixed martial arts, especially in the United States. Fights get stopped quickly on the ground, if a guy goes down from strikes he's not gonna get up and get punched in the face/head 200 more times like a boxer might. There are very few injuries to bones or joints, as non-idiots know when to tap.

Combine that with mandatory pre and post-fight physicals including MRIs, 4 ringside doctors, and mandatory steroid testing and you have a pretty damn safe sport.

I understand your point of looking down the road, but I don't see it being an issue due to the fact stated above, that these guys just don't take enough blows to the head to have long term effects.

But this is not the point of this thread, and I don't want to derail any further.

RIP Test.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Mr" wrote:
    "Vikestand" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    [quote author=C Mac D link=topic=50982.msg933810#msg933810 date=1239503200]

[/quote]

[/quote]
    Actually guys don't take much of a beating in mixed martial arts, especially in the United States. Fights get stopped quickly on the ground, if a guy goes down from strikes he's not gonna get up and get punched in the face/head 200 more times like a boxer might. There are very few injuries to bones or joints, as non-idiots know when to tap.

Combine that with mandatory pre and post-fight physicals including MRIs, 4 ringside doctors, and mandatory steroid testing and you have a pretty damn safe sport.

I understand your point of looking down the road, but I don't see it being an issue due to the fact stated above, that these guys just don't take enough blows to the head to have long term effects.

But this is not the point of this thread, and I don't want to derail any further.

RIP Test.
    [/quote]

now pride fighting, thats a whole other story.

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "Vikestand" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    [quote author=Mr Anderson link=topic=50982.msg933814#msg933814 date=1239503530]

[/quote]

[/quote]

RIP Test.
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    That's why I included the "especially in the United States." But even in Pride it gets stopped when guys can't defend themselves, what you can do to a grounded opponent is a lot more lenient, but those Japanese refs and promoters are a little crazy.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Mr" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "Vikestand" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    [quote author=C Mac D link=topic=50982.msg933816#msg933816 date=1239503582]
    [quote author=Mr Anderson link=topic=50982.msg933814#msg933814 date=1239503530]

[/quote]

[/quote]

RIP Test.
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    That's why I included the "especially in the United States." But even in Pride it gets stopped when guys can't defend themselves, what you can do to a grounded opponent is a lot more lenient, but those Japanese refs and promoters are a little crazy.
    [/quote]

but I agree... except in maybe the heavyweight division, MMA fighters don't get nearly as beaten up as other sports like boxing or WWE Wrestling.
    In the lighter divisions, a lot of the wins come from submissions.
    they get taken down, but not thrown from the turnbuckle in MMA.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234