Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Football player dies in workout

Posted on Tue, Apr. 18, 2006

[size=18px]Football player dies in workout[/size]

Family says UA culinary student loved playing game, wouldn't stop despite recent health scare

By Sandra M. Klepach
    Beacon Journal staff writer

Nothing could stop Jamarr Whatley from getting back onto the football field.

Not even his father's concern over a recent health scare.

After Mr. Whatley experience chest pains and shortness of breath in February, ``I tried to talk him out of it,' said his father, Isiah. ``I saw the Minnesota Vikings player that died on the field last year. I tell (Jamarr) he's a big dude.'

But the 6-foot-3, 310-pound Mr. Whatley couldn't stay away.

``He'd say, `I love it, Dad. I love football. I'm going to make you proud one day,' ' Isiah Whatley said. ``I told him, `I'm already proud.' '

He signed up with the Akron Jagz, a semipro football team that plays in the United States Football Alliance.

But on Saturday, while conditioning to play at Lane Field, Mr. Whatley ran a lap, walked a lap, then collapsed. Moments later, he died of a blocked artery. He was 22.

The third-year culinary major at the University of Akron played defensive end and tackle throughout high school in his hometown of Nyack, N.Y.

Known for coordinating neighborhood pickup games -- only to knock neighbors down with his strength -- Mr. Whatley had conditioned with the Jagz only twice before Saturday.

``Everybody was getting to know him,' coordinator Kimberly Livingston said. ``What a sweet kid.'

The symptoms that he experienced in February seemed to vanish after Akron doctors diagnosed him with acid reflux, his father said. Two weeks ago, he drove to Nyack before heading for spring break in Tampa, Fla.

``I said, `You never know, maybe something is wrong with your heart,' ' Isiah Whatley recalled. ``I couldn't talk him out of it.'

Mr. Whatley's death should send a strong message to athletes who try to push themselves too far, Livingston said.

``He was just a big ball of love,' said his mother, Mary. ``Not a troublemaker. He'd always tell me, `Just kick back, Mommy' -- always trying to fix the situation with lots of love.

``Even when he was in the hospital, he said, `Don't worry, Mommy, I'm going to be fine.' '

Mr. Whatley is survived by his parents, sisters Clarissa Noelle and Anise, and brothers Isiah Jr. and Darius. Burial will be Friday in Nyack.

Sandra M. Klepach can be reached at 330-996-3746 or [email protected]

Football player dies in workout

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Football player dies in workout

Damn, not again. This is the third time really. Coaches need to pay more attention to when a player needs to stop and the player needs to know their limits.

RIP. He really loved the game.

Prophet Guest

Sad, so young.

Del Rio Guest

The guy was 22 years old and had a blocked artery. That is insane!

I can't blame the coaches for this one. He was having chest pains before he should have gone to the doctors.

That blows my mind. A blocked artery at 22 years old.

twiztedfait is offline Starter

Yea having a blocked artery at 22 is insane. What is even scarrier is, it is getting more common.

At least he died doing something he loved. And he was trying to live his dreams.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    gol 'darnit, not again. This is the third time really. Coaches need to pay more attention to when a player needs to stop and the player needs to know their limits.

I agree, but sports is about pushing yourself to heights you didn't think existed. If blame is to be assigned, a good chunk of it should be, and probably will be, assigned to the Doctors. How did they miss a blocked artery and just pass it off as acid reflux.

While we don't know all the details, I don't fault coaches and trainers. It is their job to get athletes into top shape. It is the job of Doctors to make sure the athlete can endure the training.

This is a risk every athlete takes, but fortuanately rarely happens.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I feel really bad.. It's a shame.. But he needed to stop and get himself checked out.

RIP Jamarr Whatley

Del Rio Guest

"sleepagent" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    gol 'darnit, not again. This is the third time really. Coaches need to pay more attention to when a player needs to stop and the player needs to know their limits.

I agree, but sports is about pushing yourself to heights you didn't think existed. If blame is to be assigned, a good chunk of it should be, and probably will be, assigned to the Doctors. How did they miss a blocked artery and just pass it off as acid reflux.

While we don't know all the details, I don't fault coaches and trainers. It is their job to get athletes into top shape. It is the job of Doctors to make sure the athlete can endure the training.

This is a risk every athlete takes, but fortuanately rarely happens.
    I was having chest pains a few years back and still do sometimes. The doctors were very quick to say it was acid reflux. They perscribed Prilosec. I went to fill that ish and it cost me like 135$ because it was new. I took 2 pills still no better.

I went in and almost had to force them to do an EKG. It came back ok. I was stressing out about it big time. I was not convinced I was ok so I went in and had an ultra sound on my heart and it came back ok.

In the end the doctor said it was stress, and he perscribed me some more expensive pills that I have never taken. When I run I feel fine. Somedays however I feel what I would describe as strain on my chest, but I gave up. I guess one day I will fall over dead.

The point of the story if there is one, is that doctors really only work with probabilities. They do not think worst case scenerio first. I was 22 years old. What are the chances that someone playing football has a blocked artery at 22 years of age?

It's like a mechanic. A good mechanic starts with the easiest most basic troubleshooting using logic, and then it goes from there.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Very sad. Evidently, even the Dr. didn't think it could be a blocked artery at such a young age.
    Word to the wise.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer

"Del Rio" wrote:
    The guy was 22 years old and had a blocked artery. That is insane!

I can't blame the coaches for this one. He was having chest pains before he should have gone to the doctors.

That blows my mind. A blocked artery at 22 years old.
    The way Americans eat it doesn't surprise me. My buddy had a bypass at age 26. Probably grew up on Mcdonalds, pizza and cheesesteak deliveries just like my friend.

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast