Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: flu shot or not?

Ive never had a flud shot. I am lucky that I havent got sick yet this year. I usually catch the flu from someone around this time of the year.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "michaelmazid" wrote:
    I had a flu shot for last week for the first time in my life and I tell you what, I am sick as hell right about now and some people are telling me that it is from the flu shot. So if you ask me, Don't do it man.
    It is from the flu. You are actually getting a form of it and your body is building an immunity to it.

A lot of healthy people die each year from the flu.
    You are actually not getting an active form of the virus, rather you are gettin an inactivated form. This means previously virulent micro-organisms that have been killed with chemicals or heat. They can result in incomplete or short-lived immune responses and are likely to require booster shots.

In some cases (but not with the flu due to the high genetic mutability) you can synthesize the antigens or coat protein surrounding the virus, which themselves cause and immune response but pose absolutely no threat of infection or symptoms related to the bacteria.

Vaccines themselves are a case of "do it for the team". Often times vaccines are for rare diseases and many people deem the short term side-effects are not worth the long term immunity. However for most diseases it is in fact recommended if only so that the population in general has less carriers of the disease therefore you have an even smaller chanc of geting infected.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Like Zim,

I got the flu about 8 years ago, I was in bed for 5 straight days , I also had a temp of around 104 and I started to cough and cough and cough...

Next thing I know, I awake in a hospital bed with two intravinous tubes in both my ankles...

My ex-wife said I could to much, I knocked myself out, she found me on the floor next to the bed....

The hospital said I was very lucky, I was totaly dehydrated and my boby temp was close to deathly high...

I came out of it all okay, but since then, I get the flu shot every OCT...

I've never had another flu since taking the shot..

I've heard some do get sick from it, but I don't think they get as sick as having the real thing (flu)..

But also as Ultra said, many people die each year from the flu, and some of those people where very healty before getting the flu...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "zimtwister" wrote:
    i'm afraid of needles, but more afraid of the flu.
    Ha ha!

I used to be a medic in the Army. I have seen it all when it comes to giving a grown man a shot.

If we were going overseas, we had to have a GG shot; 1 in each buttcheek. It was a rather large diameter needle, very huge. And the GG was as think as peanut butter. So, you would have a golf ball in each buttcheek for a week! Man, it sucked. But, I did not mind giving them. It was actually quite funny! :grin:
    Admit it, you just liked looking at the butts. :shock:

(I told you I'd get you back for all the "closet Packer fan" comments during the New Orleans game) :twisted:

Caine

Freya is offline Team Alumni

No, no flu shot for me.
    Sambucol and zinc. Plus lots of hand washing.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

zimtwister is offline Coach

flu is air borne. hand washing dont work.
    "you dream of beating me, its time you wake up and apologize."

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

never get the shot. it just makes you sick and really only prevents that certain cold. that doenst mean u arent ever going to get sick again. just you wont get whatever you get shot for.
    We're bringing purple back.

The shot for the flu (nor any shot) is all that bad. It's really the anticipation of getting the shot that gets to me.

6-KINGS Guest

Got my flu shot.
    There must have been a bunch of mercury in it too.

Because all of a sudden I think Ted Kennedy is a true American hero...........

Nyuck, Nyuck.............

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

i don't think it helps i've had it done a couple of times and i get a cold just as often with the shot than without. in fact i have a cold as we type

Thanks Josdin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast