Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing

Del Rio Guest

Fishing

Allright lets have it, is the fishing good in Minnesota? I live in Utah and I love to fish/hunt.

My family is from South Dakota and my old man says that the fishing there is great.

I am heading up that way this fall. Might bring my pole along.

Any experience/success in Viking land?

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Fishing

It's the land of 10,000 lakes (actually we have over 15,000 lakes), so there is some good fishing to be had.

What do you like to fish for and what area are you going to?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Del Rio Guest

Fishing

I hold the catch and release record for Brown trout here. I love to fish for trout, walley, and Tiger Musky.

I would really be interested in trying my hand at Pike if there are any to be had.

Will be in Mankato area.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Fishing

If you are going to Mankato

East of there about 45 minutes there are some wonderful trout streams around Zumbro Falls and down to Winona (speckels and browns).

If you go to Redwing you have good walleye fishing on the Mississippi River and Lake Pepin (part of the Mississippi). Try the deeper water until mid September and then up by Lock-n-Damn # 3 (fish below the lock in the fast moving water and try and hold your jig right on the slow water eddies. Also has Muskie and Northern.

Outside of Mankato there is a lake called swan (I have not fished it but I here that it has good northen pike).

If you want to go further north you could try Mille Lacs Lake, some of the best Walleye fishing in the country and has huge northerns and Muskie (in the 52 to 54 inch range). Late fall on Mille Lacs could be very hot for both Muskie and Walleyes
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Fishing

haha... yes kids I also enjoy to fish!! My favorite places are a little lake in bloomington called Bush Lake and a lake in Two Harbours... Marble Lake. I'm not very good at it though but fishing is very relaxing to me.

Del Rio Guest

Fishing

In Utah we have the Rockies. There is a range of mountains called the Uintas and it is all pines. Beautiful country. There are a series of trails and paths that connect hundreds of crystal clear high country lakes.

Some of the close (popular) lakes are stocked, but the majority of them are natural and boy are the fish a blast.

Every year I sneak away from the wife and head up there with some friends for a week. Backpack in and explore the different lakes really fun, and when you get far enough in you won't see or hear another person the whole time.

We went up last weekend had a blast. Except we saw some guy telling his kid to go stand by this huge bull moose so he could take a picture. Talk about good parenting.

Thanks for the info on the fishing I'll be sure to try that out.

Oh and TNT be easy on these boys, your overloading them. Tattoo, beads, camping, fishing, football, next thing you'll say is you brew your own beer and you know how to cook better then grandma.

Fishing

LOL... well here this may help a little... I don't like beer at all let alone brew it... and I can't cook to save my own life!!!

little redhead is offline Asst. Coach

Fishing

I too enjoy fishing but really am a prissy girl when it comes to baiting the hook or taking the fish off. I will not do it if I can avoid it. I can't make my self touch a leech or put a hook through a worm and trying to get a squirming fish off the hook is really not for me either but I too enjoy fishing as long as there is someone around willing to do the baiting and taking off the fish but unlike TNT I love beer haven't tried brewing yet but have a kit (has anyone ever tried those)? I also love cooking and cooking for the game on sunday's is my favorite thing to do actually so if anyone has any good appetizer recipes hand them over. I would give you some names of lakes but unfortunately I haven't had too much luck lately with fishing. Mille Lacs is the best lake I have heard for fishing as someone else has mentioned. There are a few around the twin cities worth fishing but unfortunately you will be about an hour or so south of the cities but on your way through Prior Lake would be your best bet as it is on the southern side of the twin cities quite a fun lake and I see lots of people fishing off bridges for their dinner. TNT is there really good fishing in Bush Lake? I am from Bloomington and really have not heard of it as being a hot spot for fishing.

Fishing

Its not that great... some good sized bass in there... but I just love the lake mainly. For being right in Bloomington its so peaceful there!

little redhead is offline Asst. Coach

Fishing

I hear ya. Your right a lot of the lakes around here at least the bigger lakes are always so busy such as Tonka or Prior Lake so unless you have a slip or live on the lake it is a pain in the butt to get on them at the public launches. Also quite a few snobby people and bimbo's showing off at those big busy lakes so will have to go check out Bush lake. Lake Riley in Eden Prairie/Chanhassen is a little more on the quiet side for the most part as well although gets a little busier on the weekends never have fished it though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast