Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

First T-ball game.

My son played in his first t-ball game last night. He rapped a single and a double and they won 24-11 (3 innings). That was fun, I'm helping coach so it makes it even more enjoyable. The boys range in age from late 4 to 7...so there is quite a range of development.

For those who haven't been associated with t-ball for a while here is a brief update on the rules (here anyway):

+ 2 strikes = out (inning is 3 outs or once through the order, whichever comes first)
    + all players play
    + max of 8 runs per inning (game is almost purely offense)

These little guys are serious about the game, but really don't have all that great of an understanding of the game.

I was coaching first and one of the boys rapped one out to center field and I told him to keep going....he was so excited that he did keep going....straight....all the way to the right field fence.

Our team was in the outfield and someone from the other team hit a ball to deep right and three of the wee-ones came upon the ball at the same time (two were brothers) and they wrestled for it and the guy got a home run out of the deal.

It is really hard not to laugh. These guys take it very seriously, I'm looking forward to them being able to play defense a little better (better then ~0 shouldn't be that tough). Not a bad outing since they had one practice before their first game.

On a side-note. The coach plays semi-pro for the Mariners and his son is an order of magnitude better then most of the boys on the field.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: First T-ball game.

Wow, they keep score and outs? How old are these kids?

I have been working for years in youth sports including T-ball. They never keep score and they go through the entire line-up. Actually, at the real young ages it would take 2 years to even get 3 outs.

The whole dealy with not keeping score in youth sports is because it teaches the kids at an early age that they are there to have fun and not about winning. It stresses the fundamentals.

My oldest is beyond that now and development and winning is key. My youngest is still is T-ball and I help coach that also. I really enjoy working with kids and feel that I have an effective way of communicating with them. I applaud you for getting involved.

Last summer my youngest played on a 3-4 year old team. 98% of the time the kids are just there to play and pick their nose; which is fine. There was one boy who I really felt sorry for. His dad used to yell at him from the bleachers to pay attention. A few times he came up to his son on the bench and grabbed him harshly and yelled at him. The kid was 4 and was there having fun. The coach did not say anything to the guy at all and I felt that it was his job as a coach to say something. So, after one time where he semi-spanked his son during a game I went up to him and told him that as long as his son is sitting on the bench or in the field, he will not act like a complete fool. He said he just wanted to his son to learn. I told him that 90% of his learning baseball at this age comes from dad in the back yard...not on the T-ball field. He was fine after that. Personally, I woanted to kick the crap out of the guy in front of his son and the other parents.

After coaching youth sports for almost 5 years now I can say, and most other coaches would agree, that the worst thing about youth sports are the parents. Especially when I kid is trying out for an elite team. Little Johnny may be nails in the back yard with dad, but stack him up against other kids and he may be another average player. We still get nasty emails from parents who are pissed their son did not make the team...and we even had the High School baseball coaches do the evaluaitions; not us. One guy got right in my face once and wanted to know the truth about his son's playing ability. The guy was a real a$$ also. So, I told him his son sucked and that he needed a hell of a lot more work. I felt bad about saying it afterwards, but the guy was such a jerkoff. He about fainted when I told him that.

Prophet, the key to baseball is reps. My son started at 2 and all we did was hit, hit, and hit. Then grounders, grounders, and more grounders. It all pays off in the end. :wink:

Good luck!

Prophet Guest

Thanks Ultra. It is fun. I haven't been involved long enough to have to deal much with the asshole parents...well, a few of them, but headed them off at the pass. It is for fun, the only reason I know the score is because I kept track in my head. They don't announce a winner or tell which team won at the game, but it is posted on a website. The main factor is fun. I had a blast and I know the kids did based on there enthusiasm.

The teams here do all have full uniforms. We didn't have anything like that when I played t-ball. The mom's all like to say they look so cute, but that doesn't go over very well with the guys, since they consider themselves to be little mini-studs with their uniforms and team colors. Too much fun.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I see some 3 and 4 year olds all decked out gear. Some even have expensive bats. At T-ball age the bat is going to make no difference plus they outgrow it in a year.

Now, my oldest played on and 8 year old travel team starting last year and we did splurge and buy him a $150 bat. I also have a hitting tent that I can set up in the basement in the winter, and 2 weeks abo I built a regualtion pitching mound. I am all about training and development. I never got the chance when I was young to do a lot of this stuff and my mom gave 2 craps less about it. So, I make sure that if there is something that could help my son that I get it; money is not even a condsideration.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Prophet and Ultra...thanks for sharing! I laughed my butt off at some of the funny stories...and am also glad to hear that you guys are out there helping to make sports FUN for the little ones...you are both correct in your assessments of some of the parents...my sister almost refused to let her kids get involved in sports because of that fact...luckily, I convinced her that it would be the kids that would get cheated.

Go T-Ballers!!!! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Prophet Guest

lol, that sounds great. I live in a warm climate so we can practice outside year round. I don't have any fancy equipment, but we play catch and practice hitting almost every day. I feel sorry for the kids whose parents don't do anything, it's obvious which ones they are. It's nice to encourage them during practice and the games, but you feel sorry for them because some of them have parents that don't even stay for the game while others have their whole family including their extended relatives at the game. I plan on inviting some of the children that are obviously not having any family involvement over to practice as time permits. This is a great age group and they show enthusiasm if even a little interest is shown by the adults. My favorite was a little kid that went to the plate and was kind of in shock when he looked around at all the people watching him...the next at bat he ate it up and did well. It will definitely be fun to watch them progress and improve.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I'm a T-ball coach and I had a 4 year old last year, that all he wanted to was eat dirt and shove his face in the chalk lines.

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

I didn't know that T-ball was so intense

Thanks PurpleMafia

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"shawn9876uss" wrote:
    I didn't know that T-ball was so intense
    The parents can be worse than the kids.

Prophet Guest

Finished the season at 9-4. Was fun, boys ranging from 5-7 with a few 4 yr olds tossed into the mix. Lot of funny stories, it was amazing to see how much the little guys improved over the course of the season. They even turned a double-play last night. I think they could have gone undefeated if we didn't rotate them around between positions every inning (some of the parents were uptight that we didn't put the best players at the key positions...screw them). A great experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast