Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Firefighter suspended for refusing to peel American flag sticker from locker

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    Only in America.
    It has nothing to do with patriotism or offending anyone. A rule is a rule. The rule is no stickers on lockers.
    maybe so but common sense should kick in. Yes the rule may say no stickers but a national flag should be exempt.
    :
    why?

what if one guy was an immigrant and wants to put up a Kazakhstan flag?
    I was going on the assumption that the guy was probably american and so you'd only be expecting him to put up a US flag. Its known as being proud of your country only seems some have an issue with that at times.
    What if the guy was Afghani and supports Al Qaeda?
    What if the guy was a white supremacist who supports the Nazi party?
    And on and on and on.

There's a reason for zero tolerance policies.
    I don't agree with some of them, but I have no issues with this one.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: Firefighter suspended for refusing to peel American flag sticker from locker

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    Only in America.
    It has nothing to do with patriotism or offending anyone. A rule is a rule. The rule is no stickers on lockers.
    maybe so but common sense should kick in. Yes the rule may say no stickers but a national flag should be exempt.
    :
    Common sense says follow the rules, no stickers. Doesn't matter if it's the American flag, a cross, a Vikings logo, or pictures of your kids. The rule is the rule, this guy is lucky he has a union to back him(though I have no idea why they are), in most lines of work if you deliberately disobey the boss you get fired.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    Only in America.
    :
    why?

Well, then he could put it up in Kazakhstan!!!
    The whole idea and concept of America is freedom and Assimilation!!
    If he is from Kazakhstan and came here to be an American then his flag should be American.
    That is this country's flag and should have special treatment.
    If he feels that strong about his country go back there become a firefighter there and put up his flag!! :'(

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    Only in America.
    :
    Common sense says follow the rules, no stickers. Doesn't matter if it's the American flag, a cross, a Vikings logo, or pictures of your kids. The rule is the rule, this guy is lucky he has a union to back him(though I have no idea why they are), in most lines of work if you deliberately disobey the boss you get fired.
    Apparently you do not understand what exempt means.
    That rule sucks if you think an American flag can't be put on your locker.
    I m sure you are not so steadfast when it comes to laws which are more stringent than rules.
    Let say the marijuana law!!
    A law is a law, right!!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    Only in America.
    :
    why?

I was going on the assumption that the guy was probably american and so you'd only be expecting him to put up a US flag. Its known as being proud of your country only seems some have an issue with that at times.
    And on and on and on.

=Z=
    I do!!
    The AMERICAN flag should be raised above these other examples you give.
    We are not in Nazi Germany nor are we in Afghanistan!!
    This country has a certain heritage that should be celebrated just as other countries do.
    I am sure other countries flags have a certain elevated status.
    I am for this firefigher and would back anyone who tries to show his patriotism for this country!!!!!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    [quote author=jmcdon00 link=topic=53843.msg1009563#msg1009563 date=1256583484]
    Only in America.
    :
    why?

And on and on and on.

I do!!
    This country has a certain heritage that should be celebrated just as other countries do.
    I am for this firefigher and would back anyone who tries to show his patriotism for this country!!!!!
    [/quote]

This country has a heritage of tolerance which would not be supported (most likely) in the examples I provided.
    Seems tolerance is only okay if you agree with the guy, right?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "tarkenton10" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    [quote author=AngloVike link=topic=53843.msg1009647#msg1009647 date=1256591587]
    [quote author=jmcdon00 link=topic=53843.msg1009563#msg1009563 date=1256583484]
    Only in America.
    :
    why?

And on and on and on.

I do!!
    [/quote]

This country has a heritage of tolerance which would not be supported (most likely) in the examples I provided.
    Seems tolerance is only okay if you agree with the guy, right?

=Z=
    [/quote]

You need to understand what tolerance is my friend.
    The American flag is this country's symbol, so if someone is offended by that then they need to be tolerant of our views!
    The flag is not a blantant attempt to be rude or insulting but rather to be proud of and support it.
    We as a people have become so afraid to be ourselves because of this political correctness.
    When are Americans allowed to be ourselves;
    you have no qualms about allowing others to be who they are but somehow we in this country can
    not be who we are but must bend to every ethnicity that comes to our shores and then says they are offended.
    Well, maybe it time for them to show a little tolerance in our country toward us!!! those examples which most PC people do is bring up horrendous examples to equate it with some innocuous point in the first place.

Ex:
    People could say if you kiss your three year old daughter that
    you are a child molester.
    The law states that if you make intimate conact with a minor you are in violation of the law.
    So people like you drag out the old Nazi thing and everybody runs for cover !!!!
    The PC people in my opinion are closer to Nazis than a firefighter putting up a flag!!!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    Only in America.
    :
    I m sure you are not so steadfast when it comes to laws which are more stringent than rules.
    A law is a law, right!!!
    I'm not defending the rule, I'm saying that it is a rule, and if you break a rule there should be consequences. If this firefighter started a petition to allow flags on lockers I would sign it without question, as would I sign a petition to legalize marijuana. Doesn't mean that I think a person caught smoking marijuana on the job shouldn't be fired, or a person putting stickers up shouldn't be disciplined.
    If someone wants to walk down the street carrying a flag, good for them. They want to put a flag sticker on everything they own, good for them. They want to put a flag sticker on work property when it is prohibited by the person in charge of said property, thats not so good.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

I got a sticker as a prize when I went to the dentist, I like stickers.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "tarkenton10" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    Only in America.
    :
    A law is a law, right!!!
    I'm not defending the rule, I'm saying that it is a rule, and if you break a rule there should be consequences. If this firefighter started a petition to allow flags on lockers I would sign it without question, as would I sign a petition to legalize marijuana. Doesn't mean that I think a person caught smoking marijuana on the job shouldn't be fired, or a person putting stickers up shouldn't be disciplined.
    If someone wants to walk down the street carrying a flag, good for them. They want to put a flag sticker on everything they own, good for them. They want to put a flag sticker on work property when it is prohibited by the person in charge of said property, thats not so good.
    And when a rule is wrong that is when you defy the rule!!
    Such was the case with MLK when unjust laws were on the books.
    In order to bring light to the unjust rule you MUST break it first, had he gone along with it the rule would never had changed!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast