Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Finland rocks Eurovision !

This will more familiar to my european cousins on the board but last night was the annual Eurovision song contest. This is something that you either love or hate but can't resist watching - if only to see what bizarre songs and acts are put up by various countries.
    Some countries take it very seriously but I look on it as an evening of fun and mickey taking.
    Well last night Finland sent a heavy metal band as their entry for the contest, much some finns complaining that they encouraged the darker side.
    The joke was on Europe though when the group, called Lordi, romped home the winners with a record points core for the contest.

So for any Finns on the board - congratulations !! loved the band and the way it woke everyone in the concert hall up !!

For the those who wonder what they look like, then try the link below for their pics .... its not quite like looking at the Grateful Dead, but gets towards it ! :lol:

Lordi .....
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Finland rocks Eurovision !

The best part about Eurovision was when the Dutch guy related the voting to Athens.. He was stoned or drunk or something!

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

The bit that made me laugh was when the guy out of the group who sang we are the winners (Lithuania?) started dancing, what a nutter. Wogan's commentary was comedy genius as usual, if it wasn't for him I'd have switched off after about 10 minutes.

"scottishvike" wrote:
    The bit that made me laugh was when the guy out of the group who sang we are the winners (Lithuania?) started dancing, what a nutter. Wogan's commentary was comedy genius as usual, if it wasn't for him I'd have switched off after about 10 minutes.
    Couldn't have said it better mate, Wogan's notoriously alcohol-fuelled commentary is the stuff of legend!

simonsparre is offline Pro-Bowler

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD
    ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCK
    HALLELUUUUUUUUUJAAAAAH

Wow. It was the right winner. But England did great too (especially the girls)

GO LORDI!!!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

I think it was great to see a new kind of winner of the Eurovision this year. I'm all for Lordi...

And to you English I'll have to say that your song were one of the ones that made me laugh. (Not that we have anything to brag about with our 18th place).

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

"cogitans" wrote:
    I think it was great to see a new kind of winner of the Eurovision this year. I'm all for Lordi...

And to you English I'll have to say that your song were one of the ones that made me laugh. (Not that we have anything to brag about with our 18th place).
    Don't worry, I don't think anyone in Britain and Ireland would take offence to your comments. In fact one of the best episodes of one of the best British sitcoms ever made was one LONG joke at the expense of the Eurovision Song Contest (it was an episode of Father Ted, for those who care).

The whole point of British involvement in the Eurovision song contest is not the song we enter to compete, we do that purely as a means of getting Terry Wogan to commentate on proceedings. I made a point of avoiding ALL the performances and watch the voting because that is when Terry is at his most hilarious.

To give it some context: Terry Wogan is a well-known and well-respected broadcaster and presenter on both radio and television here in Britain. His breakfast show is the most listened-to radio show in Britain and he is one ofe the most popular presenters on television. He has commentated on the Eurovision Song Contest for British television since it's inception, I think. His plan of attack is to drink throughout the competition. It's the worst kept secret in British television presenting, but you can tell during the voting that he's drinking, and as a result he gets funnier and funnier as he makes jokes about the whole contest and the contestants involved.

So, to conclude: we don't watch Eurovision for the songs. We watch it for Terry Wogan.

:grin:

I actually rember the guy, from the last time we held the contest in Denmark. He got som newspaper headlines out of calling the hosts of the show for 'The Toothferry and Dr. Death'

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

We love Terry Wogan - who needs people to vote when he can tell you who will get the points anyway... for example when Cyprus voted " now do you think by some chance that Greece will get the 12 points ... well there's a surprise !"
    If anyone outside of Europe wondered how countries are linked together then just watch the voting and you'll see exactly who favours who !

Not to worry Cogitans- no-one I know takes the contest seriously to get upset if thier song gets criticised, if they do then they need some serious help to get a life :grin:

and wasn't it the entry from Lithuania where Wogan referred to one of the singers looking like Harry Hill ? :lol:
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

"AngloVike" wrote:
    If anyone outside of Europe wondered how countries are linked together then just watch the voting and you'll see exactly who favours who !
    Yeah it's kind of logic. When Yugoslavia split up in 4 countries (so far), it's logic they will vote for each other. Half of the population in Bosnia Feels they are Serbs, so what can you do?

And I guess the answer to that question is: Dress up as monsters, and sing a Hard Rock song :wink:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast