Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

File Sharing....

I know this is somewhat old news, but how many other people think this is just a crock.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/27/scotus.file.sharing.ap/index.html

I cant believe the courts ruled that companies that make file sharing programs can be held liable. If they are going to do this to file sharing companies, they better do it too all companies.

Gun companies should then be liable if someone kills another person with a gun.
    Car manufacturers should be liable for people that are reckless and kill people with thier cars.

Big business has got its hands into too many places and this is starting to get carried away.

Plus, I think if anyone should be sued its the music companies. Take sony for example. They do music, movies, and cd burners. When you buy there cd burners they give you software to rip your music cd's to MP3's. But on there cd's they put copy protection that makes it so you cant copy them. But legally a person can make a backup copy of there cd's and music for personal use only. But that is impossable so you have to go online and find someone else that has already made a copy of it and when you download it you are breaking the law and could be sued.

Get some people to rule on this stuff that knows what they are talking about.

I think its time to write my senator again. Argh!
    :end rant

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

Re: File Sharing....

I hate how they sue teenagers for thousands of dollars. They have millions on top of millions but they need to rob a less fortunate family of money that they could really use? It make me sick, all they want is more money.

File sharing helps the music business, atleast how I use it. If I hear a good song, I'll download it and listen a couple times. If I really like the song I'll just go out and buy the cd then remove the song.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

"Vikes2611" wrote:
    I hate how they sue teenagers for thousands of dollars. They have millions on top of millions but they need to rob a less fortunate family of money that they could really use? It make me sick, all they want is more money.

File sharing helps the music business, atleast how I use it. If I hear a good song, I'll download it and listen a couple times. If I really like the song I'll just go out and buy the cd then remove the song.

Once they started sueing people for downloading music is when I stopped buying music all together. I think its crazy that a company goes around and sues its customer base. I really hope all major record companies go under and more artists start doing there own selling of music. i would much rather buy a song for $1 and have it go directly to the artist instead of going to the music companies. Plus I read somewhere that when you buy a cd, only cents on the dollar goes to the artist. The music companies get almost all of it.

I also have friends that are like that. They listen to music they download and if they find something they like they go out and buy it. If its no good, they just delete the file. They got sick of buying a cd and finding out that only one song on the cd is good. Nothing like paying $15 for 1 song. That is where I think I-tunes is great. 1$ a song. Now for 15$ I can get 15 good songs.

Del Rio Guest

I doubt they will be able to uphold any law or even pass a legitimate one in regards to this.

The software companies are not to blame most of them have practical legal uses and as long as they do not advertise illegal activity they have done absolutely nothing wrong.

6-KINGS Guest

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I doubt they will be able to uphold any law or even pass a legitimate one in regards to this.

The software companies are not to blame most of them have practical legal uses and as long as they do not advertise illegal activity they have done absolutely nothing wrong.
    I concur Del Rio.

HerdDaVikes is offline Rookie

I dont have any stats on this but I seem to remember hearing that sales in the record industry have increased since file sharing has began.

Also one thing that has bugged me about this whole thing is radio, nobody pays for radio, what if I were to record a bunch of radio and share the files I recorded off the airways? Would that be illegal?

Del Rio Guest

Yeah.
    I remember the news back in the day some guy recorder a bunch of radio music onto tape and was selling them he got nabbed.

My thing is if you want me to pay 15-20$ for your CD make sure it has more then 2 good songs on it.

HerdDaVikes is offline Rookie

I personally think the sharing helps the artist just as much if not more than airtime on the radio when it comes to getting publicity.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Just another case of the Music industry failing to look ahead at technology, then trying to make up lost ground through the courts.

And someone told me that 75% of the money that I-Tunes and others charge is going directly to FEMA (Or is that FIMA?). the Artists see less than 1%.

Caine

Del Rio Guest

I don't partake in file sharing, but I could care less about it. Lower you concert ticket prices, knock a few bucks off your crappy CD's then cry about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast