Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Fidel Castro resigns Cuban presidency after nearly half-century in power

http://www.startribune.com/15760177.html

[size=12pt]Fidel Castro resigns Cuban presidency after nearly half-century in power[/size]

By ANITA SNOW, Associated Press
    Last update: February 19, 2008 - 7:57 AM

HAVANA - An ailing Fidel Castro resigned as Cuba's president Tuesday after nearly a half-century in power, saying he was retiring and will not accept a new term when the new parliament meets Sunday.

"I will not aspire to nor accept — I repeat, I will not aspire to nor accept — the post of President of the Council of State and Commander in Chief," read a letter signed by Castro published early Tuesday in the online edition of the Communist Party daily Granma.
    Viva la revolucion!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Fidel Castro resigns Cuban presidency after nearly half-century in power

This is actually great news!
    Hopefully whatever new president comes into power is less hard lined than Castro and relations between Cuba and the US can open up again.
    Cuba is actually a great tourist location, and most countries, including Canada and the UK, allow travel there.
    I would love to get a chance to visit.

FYI, although I do not know this from personal experience, it is possible for Americans to travel to Cuba despite the travel restrictions.
    You can take a flight out of most major cities in Canada to Havana, and the Cuban immigration offers do not stamp US passports, so they can keep their (illegal) trips secret.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Hopefully whatever new president comes into power is less hard lined than Castro and relations between Cuba and the US can open up again.
    Cuba is actually a great tourist location, and most countries, including Canada and the UK, allow travel there.

FYI, although I do not know this from personal experience, it is possible for Americans to travel to Cuba despite the travel restrictions.
    You can take a flight out of most major cities in Canada to Havana, and the Cuban immigration offers do not stamp US passports, so they can keep their (illegal) trips secret.
    One of my friends were there last year. He had a great time, and met many nice people there. Lobster is the big thing down there, as far as food goes.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Didn't read the article, eh?
    I think the next El Presidente is going to be Castro's brother, Raul.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

=Z=
    Crap.
    Nope, didn't read the whole article.
    Too bad...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I wonder if Jesse Ventura is looking for a job

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

=Z=
    The feeling is (in a few of circles I run in
    ;D) it doesn't matter who it is, they will still follow Fidels policies as long as he is alive.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

=Z=
    The feeling is (in a few of circles I run in
    ;D) it doesn't matter who it is, they will still follow Fidels policies as long as he is alive.
    Fidel's brother is actually far worse... I believe this is the same guy who temporarily took over power when Fidel had surgery.
    If it is, what was reported was that he held even hard lines.
    Things in Cuba and our ties to Cuba will get worse with this change.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"NodakPaul" wrote:

yes it is true you can travel to cuba, but it may be expensive.
    you usually can not book a flight that has a connecting flight in Canada somewhere, instead you have to book two separate flights, one to Toronto, and then another one from Toronto to Cuba.
    You could probably also fly out of Mexico also, but you would still most likely have to book two separate flights.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Fidel Castro's resignation letter

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/02/19/castro.letter/index.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast