Thread: Fencing

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Fencing

I had my first ever fencing lesson last night, and let me tell you I am freakin' sore! I've wanted to try the sport for a long time, but never really got the opportunity because I was playing high school and AAU basketball, but now that I'm in college I have the time (no summer homework :grin to try something new.

My instructor is this little old lady in a wheel chair. She's about 90 years old and can't walk, but she can move a foil! It was also kind of difficult training with her, because I'm 6'3 and of course she was sitting down so I had to get REALLY low to train with her (which is probably why my legs are so sore). It's kind of odd learning a sport that's all about footwork and quickness from a lady in a wheelchair, but she knows what she's talking about. I just think of her as my own little Yoda!

It's about 10x harder than I thought it was going to be. My legs are sore, my back is sore, my arm is sore...goodness gracious. It was fun, but it was aggravating!

Anyone else fence?

Prophet Guest

Re: Fencing

The bad part is that when you get better and wax the old lady in the wheel chair there isn't a person in the world that will look favorably upon you, regardless of her talent. You will be featured in one of those 'strange headline' stories and we will post it in the clubhouse.

Good luck!

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I did for a little while during high school.. My favourite history teachers were both avid fencers, so they coerced a bunch of us into joining them and hosting the lessons in the gym.

It was fun, and I was doing okay (I think :razz but after about 2 months, I have to be honest, I got a little bored with it. Especially as I was stuck in the gym when all my friends were outside playing football in the warm May sun. So, inevitably, I quit. Not before I went Errol Flynn on a mate of mine, he responded in kind and we basically kicked each other's asses for 45 minutes before one lesson even started.

Good times.. Good times.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    The bad part is that when you get better and wax the old lady in the wheel chair there isn't a person in the world that will look favorably upon you, regardless of her talent. You will be featured in one of those 'strange headline' stories and we will post it in the clubhouse.

Good luck!
    We worked on parry and riposte for a while last night, and I would block her and then lunge, but I would stop short of hitting her. Then she was like "make contact" so I did, but lightly. Then she was like "Don't be a wuss! You'll never register a hit like that. Press harder!"

It was a bit unnerving. I didn't want to break one of her ribs or something and then have everyone else in the class be like "What the hell did you do?!" :lol:

That's one of the other difficult things...everyone else in the class has been fencing for 2 or 3 (or more) years, there's only about 6 of them, and I'm the newb. So I'm sure I look pretty goofy to them, but they were pretty helpful.