Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: FEEL LIKE COMPLAINING?

Oh he's back now, but he was in Iraq for over a year. He was there during the time they were looking for Saddam. He's an Army recruiter in Boston now. He hates it there!! lol

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

Touching story indeed. But I'll not offer another platitude in response. In fact, this post irritates me on a number of levels.

*deep breath*

Before anyone writes a knee-jerk reaction proclaiming me an ungrateful hippy communist liberal tree-hugging peacenik out-of-touch idealist infidel, let me explain.

First, a disclaimer: I appreciate the work that the men and *women* in the armed forces do. The comforts of my lifestyle that I rely on and that I take for granted are, in part, made possible by the folks in the military. I know they work under incredible stress and in conditions that many people would be paralyzed by. You see, my issue isn't with the military at all, it's with the content of the message and the way it is presented.

What's wrong-headed about this post:

1. Not telling the whole story. All members of the US armed forces currently serve voluntarily. Soldiering is a job that people choose. The hardships that soldiers encounter are part of the job, just like social workers, athletes, and toxic waste handlers. Why should I feel ashamed when I complain about being short on sleep when people choose jobs that keep them up all night? This is choice jingoist propaganda.

2. Chauvinism. A substantive message of the list is that us civilians are spoiled and are really less than the soldiers (and generals). This is a case of military elitism and a try at soldier canonization (pun intended). There is certainly something heroic about soldiering under extreme conditions, but that doesn't make soldiers better than civilians.

3. Sexism. He, he, he.....Umm, last I checked there were women serving in the armed forces too.
    Am I to understand that women are not deserving of the consideration that the list calls for?

4. misplaced sympathy. Another message of the list is that the us civilian should have a sympathy for soldier's voluntary hardship. Next to experiences of a refugee in Sudan or a victim of torture in Iraq, the hardship of the soldier seems slight in comparison.

==

Someone may take time to explain what's right about this post. I would look forward to that. Please make arguments and not attacks. But I'd rather this post wasn't made (or perhaps that I didn't read it) at all. If the point was to make civilians aware of of the kinds of sacrifices soldiers make, I think there are much more effective ways to get the message across. And, probably more appropriate venues to boot.

==

And in case it needs repeating, I do very much appreciate the work that American soldiers do.

*Edited for grammar and spelling

Del Rio Guest

"ColoradoVike" wrote:
    Touching story indeed. But I'll not offer another platitude in response. In fact, this post irritates me on a number of levels.

*deep breath*

Before anyone writes a knee-jerk reaction proclaiming me an ungrateful hippy communist liberal tree-hugging peacenik out-of-touch idealist infidel, let me explain.

First, a disclaimer: I appreciate the work that the men and *women* in the armed forces do. The comforts of my lifestyle that I rely on and that I take for granted are, in part, made possible by the folks in the military. I know they work under incredible stress and in conditions that many people would be paralyzed by. You see, my issue isn't with the military at all, it's with the content of the message and the way it is presented.

What wrong-headed about this post:

1. Not telling the whole story. All members of the US armed forces currently serve voluntarily. Soldiering is a job that people choose. The hardships that soldiers encounter are part of the job, just like social workers, athletes, and toxic waste handlers. Why should I feel ashamed when I complain about being short on sleep when people choose jobs that keep them up all night? This is choice jingoist propaganda.

2. Chauvinism. A substantive message of the list is that us civilians are spoiled and are really less than the soldiers (and generals). This is a case of military elitism and a try at soldier canonization (pun intended). There is certainly something heroic about soldiering under extreme conditions, but that doesn't make soldiers better than civilians.

3. Sexism. He, he, he.....Umm, last I checked there were women serving in the armed forces too.
    Am I to understand that women are not deserving of the consideration that the list calls for?

4. misplaced sympathy. Another message of the list is that the us civilian should have a sympathy for soldier's voluntary hardship. Next to experiences of a refugee in Sudan or a victim of torture in Iraq, the hardship of the soldier seems slight in comparison.

==

Someone may take time to explain what's right about this post. I would look forward to that. Please make arguments and not attacks. But I'd rather this post wasn't made (or perhaps that I didn't read it) at all. If the point was to make civilians aware of of the kinds of sacrifices soldiers make, I think there are much more effective ways to get the message across. And, probably more appropriate venues to boot.

==

And in case it needs repeating, I do very much appreciate the work that American soldiers do.

I get these things in my E-mail all the time. Usually if it's a story it's a flat out lie. I really don't have a problem with this though. I see it exactly the same way as you do Colorado. Well maybe not exactly. To me it's a job.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    Thanks to my bro and the rest of the hard working soldiers!

Amen to that..

Odin VAVikefan is offline Pro-Bowler

"ColoradoVike" wrote:

*deep breath*

What wrong-headed about this post:

==

==

Quoted for truth.

(+1 Post)!!!!
    NMA -- www.newmodelarmy.org

purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

"ColoradoVike" wrote:
    me an ungrateful hippy communist liberal tree-hugging peacenik out-of-touch idealist infidel,

That sounds about right
    ;D
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

boognish is offline Coordinator

"ColoradoVike" wrote:

*deep breath*

What's wrong-headed about this post:

==

==

*Edited for grammar and spelling
    Good post.
    I am a dipshit!!!

purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

Wow how obvious is it that thas who think col vike had a good post have
    never served or felt the need to serve this great country.

I think it would be great for all Y'all to do a tour a two than say boo hoo.
    I bet you wouldn't.

Pesonally I have been in two wars lost my first wife because of it--no regrets so sorry if I have no sympathy for your pathetic little complaints about my post boognish del & co

Purplehorn OUT
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

war is needed with the way humans interact with each other. so i thank the united states military for making our tribe the strongest in the land.

but as stated it is voluntary and they do get paid.

being a mechanic ............

i bust my knuckles , burn my arm , and get very dirty ....

it's a choice.

even 40 yr/olds living in their parents basement get to complain about stuff.

http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"purplehorn" wrote:

Wow how obvious is it that thas who think col vike had a good post have
    never served or felt the need to serve this great country.

I think it would be great for all Y'all to do a tour a two than say boo hoo.
    I bet you wouldn't.

Pesonally I have been in two wars lost my first wife because of it--no regrets so sorry if I have no sympathy for your pathetic little complaints about my post boognish del & co

Purplehorn OUT
    Thanks for your service, purplehorn...and shame on your first wife for running out on you!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast