Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CynicalVike is offline Starter

Federal Court slaps down ACLU!!

Court of Appeals: Constitution "does not demand a wall of separation between church and state."

American Family Association of Michigan ^ | December 21, 2005 |

Values group hails unanimous decision Tuesday

CINCINNATI -- In an astounding return to judicial interpretation of the actual text of the United States Constitution, a unanimous panel of the 6th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals Tuesday issued an historic decision declaring that "the First Amendment does not demand a wall of separation between church and state."

In upholding a Kentucky county's right to display the Ten Commandments, the panel called the American Civil Liberties Union's repeated claims to the contrary "extra-constitutional" and "tiresome."

See Cincinnat Enquirer at: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051221/NEWS01/512210356/1056

See U.S. Court of Appeals decision, page 13: http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions.pdf/05a0477p-06.pdf

"Patriotic Americans should observe a day of prayer and thanksgiving for this stunning and historic reversal of half a century of misinformation and judicial distortion of the document that protects our religious freedoms," said Gary Glenn, president of the American Family Association of Michigan.

"We are particularly excited that such an historic, factual, and truth-based decision is now a controlling precedent for the federal Court of Appeals that rules on all Michigan cases," Glenn said.

6th Circuit Judge Richard Suhrheinrich wrote in the unanimous decision: "The ACLU makes repeated reference to the 'separation of church and state.' This extra-constitutional construct has grown tiresome. The First Amendment does not demand a wall of separation between church and state. Our nation's history is replete with governmental acknowledgment and in some cases, accommodation of religion."

The words "separation of church and state" do not appear in the U.S. Constitution, though according to polls, a majority of Americans have been misled to believe that they do, Glenn said.

For background information, see:
    http://www.answers.com/topic/separation-of-church-and-state-in-the-united-states

:wav:

P.S. Merry Christmas Everybody!!
    I used to be indecisive, now I m not so sure!

MaddenVodkaAddict is offline Coordinator

Re: Federal Court slaps down ACLU!!

Haha that's awesome! I'm so sick of hearing all about these ACLU loonies. In fact, on one episode of outside the lines, this guy wasn't "comfortable" being patted down before entering a bengals game and the ACLU went crazy over that.
    I Love Kerry Collins (and John Rocker).

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Good for them!

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Yeah...they have kind of a point, but they were starting to go nuts over nativity displays made by individual civil service workers, or ANY display of faith in public. I got really P.O.'d that one time when they made a stink when a religious group rented a public convention center. I draw the line at declarations of faith by private citizens and groups. If they can't express beliefs on government property, their freedoms of speech and religion are being abridged. All the Constitution meant was that it was illegal for the government to ESTABLISH laws promoting or establishing a particular religion. The fact that some evidence of religion is displayed in public doesn't mean that you are governmentally obligated to follow that religion. You don't have to believe in God to use money.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Well they took a shot! I Hope they got more ammo!

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

The establishment of a state religion is just around the corner...stay tuned! LOL!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

Awesome. Its about time everyone has been brainwashed into thinking that the Constitution maintins that there sould be a "Seperation", but it does not. All the legal rulings of the last 5-10 years have been much closer to violating the "Free Exercise Thereof" clause than they every have been of violating the "Establishment" Clause.

A victory for common sense.

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

What does that mean?

I don't see what the problem is with saying God in the pledge, or with having the ten commandments on the lawn.
    Besides.. Having holidays means no school... That's good. See, it's not an offended aethyist, it's a parent that just doesn't want to see their kids anymore than they have to.
    i m better than you, so just give up...

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

"Potus2028" wrote:
    What does that mean?

I don't see what the problem is with saying God in the pledge, or with having the ten commandments on the lawn.
    Besides.. Having holidays means no school... That's good. See, it's not an offended aethyist, it's a parent that just doesn't want to see their kids anymore than they have to.
    Sorry I should have been more direct. I don't see whats wrong with saying Allah in the pledge either. Sorry just because your GOD one the pledge sweepstakes does not make it right. Yes and I used Allah just to get a reaction out of you. :twisted:

So my point is we need the ACLU like we need you to promote GOD and possible non-liberal view points.

It's the checks and balances that keep this nation great! One side cannot always win. So I just hope they get another crack at.

Just like I hope you get another crack at Roe -vs- Wade. It's nothing personal.

Merry Christmas and good discussion so far. Or maybe to be PC Happy Holiday! :santa:

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

CynicalVike is offline Starter

In many ways, the ACLU is very much like the labor unions. They served their purpose, but maybe have out lived their actual need, and as a result have become counter productive to the best interest of the "American" society.

Maybe as in many cases they have moved to far from center on some political fronts. This happens usually because people who work for them tend to be extremists to some degree, and as time has passed, the ACLU has slowly become less centered from a political stand point. The same is true with both major political parties as well. The people who are becoming involved in the politics of each party are becoming more and more extreme and the Republicans are moving too far right, and the Dems, too far left.

The ACLU, because of its original purpose, lends itself to those who would support the movement to the left.

It is said that history is often the best fore-teller of the future, and if that is true, the ACLU and its actions, if left unchecked by the courts of this land, could very well lead to the colapse of this country as we know it.
    I used to be indecisive, now I m not so sure!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast