Favre/Strahan Sack

Thought you guys might find this story intresting. Been alot of contrversey surrounding the play ever sense it happened.

Notebook: Favre sticks to his story on Strahan
    Brett Favre

By Rob Demovsky
    PackersNews.com

More than 2½ years after Michael Strahan’s record-setting sack of Brett Favre, the Green Bay Packers quarterback still maintains he didn’t go down on purpose so the New York Giants defensive end could break Mark Gastineau’s single-season sack record.

The Packers play the Giants on Sunday for the first time since that game at Giants Stadium on Jan. 6, 2002. The sack gave Strahan 22½ sacks and the record.

“I like Michael,” Favre said. “He comes to my golf tournament, (but) I wasn’t trying to pay him back. I wasn’t doing him any favors. No one’s ever done me any favors.”

Favre said the play called was a rollout pass in which he faked to his left and ran to the right — a play the Packers still use. When the play broke down, Favre didn’t want to risk a turnover, so he protected the football and Strahan got him.

“We pretty much had (the game) sewed up,” Favre said. “He easily could have been lined up on the other side, and it could have been somebody else. Of course, I caught hell for it, but that’s all it was. In fact, against Chicago two weeks ago, I did the same thing. I ran for 10 yards and got a first down. I felt the end come up, and I just kept it and ran for 10 yards.”

Favre said he was not bothered by all the media and fan criticism he received.

“I really don’t care,” Favre said. “I just talked to the New York media about this, (and they asked), ‘How did you feel afterwards? What did people say?’ I went home. I didn’t give a (darn). They can say what they want.”

Trade rumors: Speculation continues that the Packers are close to trading cornerback Mike McKenzie, but he was in the locker room after Wednesday’s practice.

McKenzie was on the practice field during the brief period in which reporters were allowed to view practice, but the team said he did not take part in the full practice because of a hamstring injury that kept him out of Sunday’s loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

The New Orleans Saints are believed to have offered a second-round pick and conditional lower-round pick (either a fourth- or fifth-rounder) for McKenzie, but no deal appears imminent.

“There’s been a lot of reports out there,” Packers coach Mike Sherman said. “I’ve heard them every day, every week for a long time. I guess I’ll stay with what I usually do. I don’t comment on such things.”

McKenzie’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told ESPN earlier this week that he expected McKenzie to be traded within a couple of days. Rosenhaus likely was just trying to drum up support for a trade.

McKenzie, who was a training camp holdout and did not report until Week 2, has told the team he still wants to be dealt.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Favre/Strahan Sack

I was watching that game and Favre laid down and let him touch him for the sack. It was so obvious that it left no doubt that he gave him the sack.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Favre/Strahan Sack

Its my own opinion...and I don't necessarily disagree. I wish he hadn't done it.

My thought is that Strahan hadn't touched Favre all day. I think that his goal wasn't to "Give him" the sack, but just to give him an opportunity to get in the backfield and have a chance at it.

He called the audible aloud, and Bubba Franks didn't "get it". He completely missed the block he was supposed to hit, then go out for the pass.

Favre went backwards, turned around, and looked straight at Strahan, and went down.

As I said, I don't "approve" of the move, but I don't think he went completely intentionally to "give him" the sack, just a chance to get it, and Franks didn't even touch Strahan before releasing.

Just my opinion. Obviously, I'm a Packer fan, and you're all Viking fans, so we'll probably disagree on Favre's intentions, but that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Favre/Strahan Sack

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    Its my own opinion...and I don't necessarily disagree. I wish he hadn't done it.

My thought is that Strahan hadn't touched Favre all day. I think that his goal wasn't to "Give him" the sack, but just to give him an opportunity to get in the backfield and have a chance at it.

He called the audible aloud, and Bubba Franks didn't "get it". He completely missed the block he was supposed to hit, then go out for the pass.

Favre went backwards, turned around, and looked straight at Strahan, and went down.

As I said, I don't "approve" of the move, but I don't think he went completely intentionally to "give him" the sack, just a chance to get it, and Franks didn't even touch Strahan before releasing.

Just my opinion. Obviously, I'm a Packer fan, and you're all Viking fans, so we'll probably disagree on Favre's intentions, but that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
    First time i heard that part of the story. I thought most packer fans would agree that he did give him the record. Hopefully farve will be playing down for strahan and co a bunch more times this week.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Favre/Strahan Sack

I think, if you boil it down, he did. He still made the decision to audible out, and if he hadn't, Strahan wouldn't have been in the backfield.

But, if you watch the replay, watch Franks start upfield, then turn and chase Strahan all the way back to Favre, looking sheepish.

I think Favre wanted to give him a fighting chance, and the game was well in hand. If Franks makes the block, we might have a fun-to-watch typical Favre scrambling around from Strahan, seeing who is the better man.

It's like two men dueling, except one was unarmed, so the other gave him a gun to make it fair. Trouble is, Favre gave Strahan the only gun that was loaded.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.