Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: Favorite Kirby Puckett memories

Yeah from when he was rounding second base, or a statue of him making that cacth against the pleiglass!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=18px]Thank you, Kirby Puckett [/size]

The Arizona Republic
    Mar. 10, 2006 12:00 AM

Three years before Kirby Puckett retired from baseball, my son, daughter-in-law and grandson moved to a different community. My grandson endured the agonies of entering a new eighth grade.

Shortly after the move, my son was visiting with another man in his office. Talk turned to sports, and my son acknowledged that he was a fan of the Minnesota Vikings. It turned out that Randall McDaniel, then a Viking, is related to the fellow chatting with my son.

Their talk continued, and the man asked how my grandson was coping with the move.

"All right," my son said, "but he misses good friends and is finding it hard to get acquainted as a new kid in eighth grade."

"Is he also a Vikings fan?"

"Yes, but he likes baseball better right now. He loves the Twins and idolizes Kirby Puckett."

About two weeks later, the man walked into my son's office and placed a brown paper bag on his desk. "Take this home to your boy," he said.

Inside was a baseball, signed to my grandson, from Kirby Puckett.

The fellow had told Randall McDaniel about the eighth-grade kid coping with new surroundings. McDaniel and Kirby were good friends. So, the story was repeated, and Kirby passed a ball along to my grandson.

No media. No public relations announcement. Just a gesture to an unknown young fan he thought needed a lift.

My son and daughter-in-law suggested that a "thank you" letter might be in order. My grandson happily wrote it.

The man in the next office later related that Kirby said it was the first "thank you" letter he had received. I wish he could know that this is another.

- Dana Wall, Surprise

Thank you, Kirby Puckett

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

thats why he was such a great person..i read an article where a reporter asked him if he ever got sick of signing so many autographs, and kirby responded "how long does it take to autograph a ball? if it takes 30 seconds to make someone happy, why not do it?"..better than people like corey maggette of the LA Clippers, who i asked for his autograph at a twolves game a couple years ago, and he turned to me and said "you gotta pay for that"..i was 16 at the time
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I guess I'll aways remember, even though I was never a Twins Fan, this short stalky guy always playing tuff and smart ball. One hell of a bat he had also..

Always seemed to be a class act also.....

Truly a gift to MLB...

Thanks Kirby...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456