Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Farmer sends message to neighbors with car fence

HOOPER, Utah - A farmer has erected a fence in his backyard made of three old cars sticking up in the air to send a message to new neighbors that he can do whatever he wants on his farm. "This is just a fun way for me to say, 'Hey boys, I'm still here,'" said Rhett Davis. "This is my redneck Stonehenge."

Davis came up with the idea after neighbors who recently moved into homes next to his hayfield complained about his farm.

"The people who bought the homes say, 'Well, we love looking into your yard and seeing the horses and the cattle, but we don't like the flies, and we don't like the mosquitoes,' and when I cut my field to bale it, they say, 'We don't like the dust in the air,' " Davis said.

Davis said he offered to pay half the cost of a fence between his property and the others and to build it. He said his neighbors declined the offer, saying it would block their view............
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080805/ap_on_fe_st/odd_car_fence

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Farmer sends message to neighbors with car fence

Hooper, Utah, resident Rhett Davis poses next to his car fence Thursday, July 31, 2008 in Hooper, Utah. Davis put up the 'fence' when his new neighbors refused to go in on putting up a real fence on the property line.

Funny stuff. Sure as heck someone will sue him. It reminds me of the people that build next to an airport and then complain about the airplane noise.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Ozzie is offline Rookie

Just saw a local news report on this.
    Hooper is about 40 min from where I live and I have a co-worker who lives there.
    Good on the guy!
    Damn people want a little bit of "country" without the country.

Where I live there is a lot of dairy's and people are moving out by them in hoards.
    They bitch and moan about the smell, then go back inside, pour a cold glass of milk, cut a slice of cheese and plot about how they can put the guy out of business.
    After all, food just magically appears at the supermarket....right?

YogidAbEAR is offline Star Spokesman

i live in a suburb of Winnipeg, there's a dairy farm less than a kilometer away, probably 500 m from my house, only ever smell the cows at most once a month, but when you do its terrible. still, can't smell it inside, don't think any of my neighbors have ever complained.

fake country living like this sucks though, you try to get the best of both worlds but all you get the is there smells and allergens of the country with an unnecessary long commute to anything fun.
    luckily I'm only like 5 minutes from the south end Winnipeg amenities

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

if i could make a fence out of stuff to hate on the neighbours, i would make it burning rubber.
    We're bringing purple back.

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

A friend of mine grew up on a farm and it is amazing how many people whine about the smell, but they love the view. Personally when i would stay overnight at his place I loved waking up at 5-am and milking the cows and grabbing some fresh eggs from the chickens for breakfast. People who hate on farmers need to move back to the city and make believe that food magically appears on the shelves.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Funny stuff. Sure as heck someone will sue him. It reminds me of the people that build next to an airport and then complain about the airplane noise.
    Yeah, no doubt.
    It's like people who live out near O'Hare and bitch about the noise.
    Well, guess what, jackass, the airport was there FIRST.
    The reason that the call-letters for O'Hare are ORD is because it was built IN AN OLD ORCHARD where there weren't any people!!!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Yeah, no doubt.
    It's like people who live out near O'Hare and beeyatch about the noise.
    Well, guess what, j~~~~~~s, the airport was there FIRST.
    The reason that the call-letters for O'Hare are ORD is because it was built IN AN OLD ORCHARD where there weren't any people!!!

=Z=
    I didn't know that.
    Learn something new every day.

On that same interesting note, the Minneapolis/St Paul airport was originally a 2 1/2 mile race track called the Twin City Speedway.
    It only made it a couple of seasons before the Minnesota winters destroyed it.
    The speedway went bankrupt, and in 1914 the Minneapolis Aero Club acquired the property to use the mile long greenway as a landing strip.
    The rest is history...

The Minneapolis track had a sister track that was constructed around the same time and was supposed to be part of the same circuit.
    It is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and hosts the Indianapolis 500 every Memorial Day.
    The Minneapolis 500 was the sister race proposed to be run every Labor day.
    It never happened...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Yeah, no doubt.
    I didn't know that.

On that same interesting note, the Minneapolis/St Paul airport was originally a 2 1/2 mile race track called the Twin City Speedway.
    The speedway went bankrupt, and in 1914 the Minneapolis Aero Club acquired the property to use the mile long greenway as a landing strip.
    The rest is history...

The Minneapolis track had a sister track that was constructed around the same time and was supposed to be part of the same circuit.
    It is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and hosts the Indianapolis 500 every Memorial Day.
    It never happened...
    Ahh, yes, the wonder of the 3-hour layover in Chicago.
    You'd be amazed at what you can learn by wandering around the terminal.

And that's good stuff about the Minneapolis 500....I'd never heard that before, and I'm a big racing fan.
    Do you have any links so I can read up on that?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Yeah, no doubt.
    I didn't know that.

The rest is history...

It never happened...
    Ahh, yes, the wonder of the 3-hour layover in Chicago.
    You'd be amazed at what you can learn by wandering around the terminal.

And that's good stuff about the Minneapolis 500....I'd never heard that before, and I'm a big racing fan.
    Do you have any links so I can read up on that?

=Z=
    I learned it at the MANG base during a tour of the air history museum.
    They have (or at least had) a model of the original race track in there, along with some history on it.

Here are some links
    http://www.mnangmuseum.org
    http://www.mspairport.com/mac/organization/History.aspx
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis-Saint_Paul_International_Airport
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast