Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan loyalty

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Fan loyalty

That's a very interesting if not loaded question. First let me say that I hate the "fans" who leave a game early when their team is winning. If as a fan you don't want to share and savor the victory with your fellow fans or the team you support then are you truly a fan?

Anyway, I have left games when my team is getting blown out and I have stayed till the bitter end. The decision maker for me is how the team is performing. I don't care if my team is losing by 2, 10 or 30. If they aren't trying to make a game of it then why should I stay and support that performance. I'm still a fan, I just don't feel that I should sit and support a team that is playing without heart, that takes an unacceptable amount of penalties, or seems to have given up before the game is over.

Teams of any sport lose attendance when they continue to fail year after year and it starts with the individual games.

Show me heart and I'll show up.

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

I've watched the entirety of two very painful losses.....one being the 41-0 blowout by the Giants in the NFC Championship game, and the game against the Seahawks a few years ago when they scored, like, 3 TDs in the span of a minute or so...I think it was a primetime game, too.

On the other hand, last year, I walked out of a sports bar, disgusted with the way the game was going (against Green Bay, no less), only to turn the radio on later and be just in time for our last-second WINNING field goal against them.

I don't think I was "less of a fan" for walking out on that game.....but I did kind of kick myself after the fact. LOL

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

anybody remember beng down 17-0 against GB earlier with a 56 yard flied goal?....

rest my case
    i m better than you, so just give up...

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Would you still drool over Kobe if he took 3 shots in the second half?

JK! :razz:
    Shame on you Ultra, :beathorse: and yes I would. :wink:

fabybaby32 is offline Rookie

I always stay and I'm glad I did last year. I only got to go to one Viking's home game last year since I live in Florida. But I went to a dolphins game only because I was down in Miami and they were getting beat by 24 in the 4th against the Bills and came back to win. It was the best game I have ever seen. Im sure glad I stayed and it wasnt even my team. But yeah, definately would never leave or quit watching a Viking's game early. Never.

purplepride818 is offline Starter

i went to opening day at dodger stadium last year when they played the giants and stayed until the 8th inning but when we were down by 4 or 5 runs i left early because of the horrible L.A. traffic, anybody in L.A. can vouch for that. but the dodgers ended up getting 4 runs in the 9th and won the game, i was pissed!

I've never left a Viking game early...

The first game I left early that I can remember was this past Sept., when USC was KILLING Arkansas...Totally unwatchable !!

Final score, USC 70.. Arkansas 17

[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5xVqJmBE.IQBGT6jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=124kbbq1i/EXP=1147238378/**http%3a//media.scout.com/media/image/25/255322.jpg[/IMG]
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

I have watched every legendary defeat of the Vikings from the opening kickoff to the bitter end since 1966. Often surrounded by fans from the opposing team. If you are a true fan you stick it out with your team no matter how mad or depressed you might be. If you are a real fan you put the team first and your personal crap second. :wink:

WWBGD

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

I think it's pretty well documented what my opinion is of the tags, "True Fan" and "Real Fan", so I won't repeat it.

I think that everyone has to make that decision for themselves. Do I really WANT to sit in the stands with 5 minutes left, down by 38, and the other team has the ball and is grinding? No, I certainly don't. Especially if a couplke of their fans are giving me grief about it. I'm already upset about the loss, and now I want to channel that into "Mr. Fist meets Mr. Face, parts I and II". If they're really obnoxious, I might want to add in a dose of "Mr. Fist Returns".

But, we all know that doing that isn't the "right" course to follow...so, in the interest of not being arrested/sued, I might leave.

To date, it hasn't happened. I've been fortunate in not being present for too many losses by any team I've followed in any sport...just lucky I guess. And the losses have never been blow outs.

On TV, however, I readily admit to walking away from plenty of games, completely disgusted. I usually flip back and forth on the TV, just long enough to remember why I got so upset. And, truth be told, I don't feel a bit guillty for doing so.

So, do I feel like less of a fan? Nope. And neither should anyone else who sees things differently. We all give what we can.

Caine

Del Rio Guest

I'm not one to pretend in some imaginary loyalty meter. If I paid for tickets with my hard earned cash, from my grown up job, to go watch a game and be entertained......if I'm not entertained then I would leave.

There is no point in me sticking around watching my team stink it up. I can't blame anyone who wants to beat the crowd and the rush home especially during the week when the GROWN UPS probably have to go to work in the morning.

I hold season tickets to the Jazz, I have left plenty of games early. If your sitting in nosebleed and don't mind watching bad basketball feel free to move up into my seats when I leave, cause I have work in the morn and this shit isn't worth sticking around the extra hour so I can get stuck in a mass exodus at the end to be stuck for another 2 hours trying to get home.

Still love my team, still root for my teams. IMO leaving early does not reflect at all on your loyalty any more then it does your stupidity. If you paid 10$ for a burger that tasted like I wiped my ass with it would you eat it anyway?

I have no problem with anyone leaving at any time weather your team is winning, close, or getting wiped out.

Now if you find yourself doing it all the time, I would rethink the whole ticket thing and perhaps invest in some sports package and watch at home.

If your a fan and you are just disgusted with the way your teams playing head for the door if you want.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast