Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Re: Evel Knievel has died at 69...

Thats pretty sad, It was just earlier on in the week that I read he and Kanye West had made up after the dispute about the touch the sky video.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7116448.stm

Here are some quotes from the man who could justifiably be called a legend.......

"I guess I thought I was Elvis Presley but I'll tell ya something. All Elvis did was stand on a stage and play a guitar. He never fell off on that pavement at no 80 mph. "

"I thought I was bulletproof or Superman there for a while. I thought I'd never run out of nerve. Never."

"I've been in a treatment center for drinkin'. I stayed for two days, then escaped."

"In the old days they, the promoters, wanted more and more from me. They wanted me to jump or spill my blood and break my bones. Every time they wanted me to jump further, and further, and further. Hell, they thought my bike had wings."

"There are a lot of myths about my injuries. They say I have broken every bone in my body. Not true. But I have broken 35 bones. I had surgery 14 times to pin and plate. I shattered my pelvis. I forget all of the things that have broke. "

"When I hit that pavement at 70 or 80 mph those suits just ripped. "

"You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself."

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/e/evel_knievel.html

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I had all of the Evil knievil toys:

The super stunt cycle
    the funny car
    The big RV for all of the evel stuff

http://www.plaidstallions.com/evel/index.html

They were fun as hell

OH yeah had a ton of fun with those

[img width=450 height=346]http://www.plaidstallions.com/evel/evel4.jpg[/img]

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Question for you all....
    I notice when someone dies you all seem to put RIP (Rest in peace) on your posts. Could someone explain to mean what that means or is it just something you write to look good without knowing what it means?
    It is a prayer for the recently deceased that they may be allowed to rest peacefully & not suffer or be tormented until their judgement day.
    I'm not trying to be rude here, but that saying has always trouble me. How would the person know if they rested in peace or not. They're dead!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Question for you all....
    I notice when someone dies you all seem to put RIP (Rest in peace) on your posts. Could someone explain to mean what that means or is it just something you write to look good without knowing what it means?
    It is a prayer for the recently deceased that they may be allowed to rest peacefully & not suffer or be tormented until their judgement day.
    I'm not trying to be rude here, but that saying has always trouble me. How would the person know if they rested in peace or not. They're dead!
    I guess it's better saying that, than I hope the worms enjoy your flesh.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Garland" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I had all of the Evil knievil toys:

The super stunt cycle
    the funny car
    The big RV for all of the evel stuff

http://www.plaidstallions.com/evel/index.html

They were fun as hell

OH yeah had a ton of fun with those

[img width=450 height=346]http://www.plaidstallions.com/evel/evel4.jpg[/img]
    I found out the hard way that they were not made for sand >

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Question for you all....
    You never know, you are just stating that you want them to rest in piece. It is a faith thing just like some see death as a transformation from this world to another world while others see death as a transformation from flesh to fertilizer

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Evel jumps the Snake River Canyon:

[youtube=425,350]Wsq3dWTrRWA[/youtube]
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Question for you all....
    You never know, you are just stating that you want them to rest in piece. It is a faith thing just like some see death as a transformation from this world to another world while others see death as a transformation from flesh to fertilizer
    How about if you see it both ways?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Question for you all....
    You can Cojo. Everyones faith is different. Some people have no faith/belief in afterlife, others do & believe their souls live on. It is also open to some interpretation by each individual & can help them cope/accept the death of a loved one.

For instance, I had an uncle & an aunt that died of cancer. Near the end I'm sure they endured a lot of pain towards the end. Death was inevitable & when they finally passed, it was comforting to know that they no longer had to endure the pain & suffering.

I thought you were a minister or pastor Cojo?

Certainly you should have some insight on the "rest in peace" expression from a religious aspect.
    :-

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=COJOMAY link=topic=40168.msg682806#msg682806 date=1196462228]
    Question for you all....
    You can Cojo. Everyones faith is different. Some people have no faith/belief in afterlife, others do & believe their souls live on. It is also open to some interpretation by each individual & can help them cope/accept the death of a loved one.

For instance, I had an uncle & an aunt that died of cancer. Near the end I'm sure they endured a lot of pain towards the end. Death was inevitable & when they finally passed, it was comforting to know that they no longer had to endure the pain & suffering.

I thought you were a minister or pastor Cojo?

Certainly you should have some insight on the "rest in peace" expression from a religious aspect.
    :-\
    [/quote]

I do!
    As far as I know it (RIP) has absolutely no reglious connections (at least to mainstream religions). When someone dies, that's it. No feeling of rest. Nothing. The body dies and goes back to the earth. Badlands Viking was right when he said it's a better greeting than, "I hope the worms enjoy your body..." or something like that. He was right in the sense that when you die there is nothing left of your body because the it rots away. Funny, isn't it, how we buy expensive caskets and vaults to try to keep that from happening but it still does.
    Now, if you are talking about heaven...that's a whole different story. Although again, you won't be "resting" there, so again the expression makes no sense if you are using "rest" in the sense of resting in the ground.
    To me it's an absolutely dumb statement to say RIP because it makes no sense.

Kentucky Vikes Fan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast