Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Angryviking is offline Starter

Erstad:clean hit or dirty play

Hey i dunno how many of you guys have seen this but i just wanted others peoples opinion of it. here the link to see the vid http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mediacenter/index.jsp?c_id=ana

and then click on top plays on 6/6/05 LAA angels vs atlanta braves
    b07c3df44d1c1ef4f2f2dc468267cdf3

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Erstad:clean hit or dirty play

Nicest hit ive ever seen in baseball.

It was 100% clean, he was just doing his job, catcher dropped it, and the run scored.

They make it seem like a dirty hit because the catcher got JACKED UP! but it was clean.

Now Warren Sapp's hit against the pack on the other hand was terribly dirty, and ended someones career.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

If it would have been against the Red SUX, it would be legal no matter how vicious...as it is, it could go either way.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

Your link is messed up but I know what you're talking about. Yes, I think it was a dirty play. He run out of his way to TKO the catcher. A play like that should be illegal. The only time a runner has the right to run over the catcher is when the catcher is blocking the plate. Other than that, you need to slide. Back when I played baseball, I played a bit of catcher and I remember one time a guy two time my size ran me over. It's definately more painful than it looks, let me tell ya lol. It's very dangerous and not needed.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

"Mr Anderson" wrote:

It was 100% clean, he was just doing his job, catcher dropped it, and the run scored.

They make it seem like a dirty hit because the catcher got JACKED UP! but it was clean.

Now Warren Sapp's hit against the pack on the other hand was terribly dirty, and ended someones career.
    If you say Erstad's hit was clean then to maintain your stance on a clean hit, you have to say Sapp's hit was. Sapp hit the guy in the field of play. They weren't on the sidelines nor was the play over.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

Del Rio Guest

Wow that looked like some cheap shit to me. I'm not a baseball fan though. Looked like he wasn't even going for the base, his target was obvious. I would have beat his azz if I was on the catchers team clear the benches baby.

i'm kinda split on it, it's one of the oldest plays in baseball. and i don't see how this hit was anymore excessive that any other play that has happened at the plate in the history of baseball. but i guess in these times in sports, big hits are considered dirty or malicious.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Ive been playing some kind of organized ball for 30+ yrs. whether it was baseball or softball. From what Ive seen, It looks like the catcher gave him part of the plate, no reason to take him out. I could see if the catcher was up the line totally blocking access to the plate , but that wasnt the case. I suggest retaliation LOL

jberg987 is offline Waterboy

It was a clean play. But as you see, the catcher was on the 1st base side of the plate, so he coulda slid in and touched the plate with his hand, andd still have been safe. I'm sure he decided before he even got there that there would be a tag so he had to take out the catcher. It was clean, but not necessarily had to happen like that.

"Vikes2611" wrote:
    "Mr Anderson" wrote:

If you say Erstad's hit was clean then to maintain your stance on a clean hit, you have to say Sapp's hit was. Sapp hit the guy in the field of play. They weren't on the sidelines nor was the play over.
    What sapp hit are you talking about???

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast