CynicalVike is offline Starter

Epidural injections for back problems?

I have been out of work since right after Christmas with back problems. I've been to doctors (osteopath and neuro surgeon) hospital ER's, had an MRI and am finishing my 3rd week of physical therapy, and its now been suggested by my physical therapist that I think about having an epidural injection of steroids along a nerve root in my low back, as well as in the SI joint of my left hip. (I still have to see the neuro again before I decide).

Have any of you had any epidural injections and if so, what do you think of having it done? Side effects?

This sounds like it could be either a one time thing, or a life long process depending on how it works for me.
    I used to be indecisive, now I m not so sure!

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Epidural injections for back problems?

Where's Ned, this sounds like something he might be able to help you with.

OchoCinco is offline Coordinator

"CynicalVike" wrote:
    I have been out of work since right after Christmas with back problems. I've been to doctors (osteopath and neuro surgeon) hospital ER's, had an MRI and am finishing my 3rd week of physical therapy, and its now been suggested by my physical therapist that I think about having an epidural injection of steroids along a nerve root in my low back, as well as in the SI joint of my left hip. (I still have to see the neuro again before I decide).

Have any of you had any epidural injections and if so, what do you think of having it done? Side effects?

This sounds like it could be either a one time thing, or a life long process depending on how it works for me.
    i actually work for two doctors that do these procedures, they are very safe and will give you some lasting relief. I assume you have some type of degenerative or herniated disks. Seems to do wonders for people who have them. I had to herniated disks in my neck c5-6, c6-7 and had them done, gave me two years of relief. Reinjured myself and had to have a cervical fusion done. Wouldn't recommend that for lumbar though, as scar tissue seems to lead to arthritis problems down the road. Look into RF disc ablation, heard of physicians doing them here, wish I would have known about them before my surgery.

x-ray jeff is offline Coordinator

I have not had one myself, but I have been helping our anesthetist do these for a few months now. Most people say that the injections have helped them. If anything, it may help you get more out of your physical therapy (less pain=better range of motion).
    A google search of Epidural Injection should give you a good idea of the risks and benefits of this procedure. http://www.spine-health.com/topics/c...ture/ep01.html

Good Luck!

WileEViking is offline Rookie

Not sure I could help,but having had some back problems in the past,you most definitely have my support...Good Luck!...
    Still waiting for the drugs to kick in...

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

CV,

Sorry to hear about your back issues.....Did you post this on Walleye Central also...LOL...

I'm a memeber there also and answered the same exact question there last night.

As for the epidural, the shot itself can be very painfull, but that doesn't last forever, unless the one giving the shot screws up..

My ex wifes father had an Epidural done and since that tragic day, he's been paralyzed from the waist down for 30 years....So yes, there is risk to take into consideration also.

I would like to know more about, what exactly are they diagnosing your back problem as?.......

I've taken steroid packs, these are oraly taken pills, and had some success with them, but they are only temporary, which I belive your shot would be also..

Try to give me more info..

I myself have, 4 herniated disc, 2 worse that the other two, all in the L-2 to L-5 range of the lower spinal cord.

I also have bone spurs on virtabra in the same area, degenerative disc , arthritis....And a ton of scare tissue build up, from over working the lower back muscles to compensate for the weakening of the lower back..

So, your not alone buddy.......What do I do?.......

Pain medication and lots of praying.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.