Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    English Vike is offline Starter

English Vike plays some football

I've been away from this site the last few months because i've been away up the other end of England going to university and studying law, much more interesting than the law however is that at the age of 20 i have finally had the chance to play the sport that i've become hopelessly obsessed with, it's not easy in this country as it's pretty obscure.

My university however is one of the ones in the country that actually runs a team which has been amazing, i don't really know where i'm going with this thread or what exactly people can say about it but it's just really exciting so i thought i'd share, it's like if you got to look at a picture of a cake every day for 3 years then finally got the chance to eat it!

It's obviously not not at all like playing at a college in america, there's hardly any financial backing and we're lucky if we get a crowd of 30 watching the games but it's been about the most fun i've had in my life.

I've been playing wide reciever, although i haven't really broken into the team properly yet but even practice has been mind blowingly fun, my time is probably gonna come after christmas as one of our two star recievers ahead of me was american and has gone back home now. so far i have the bizarre stats of one career catch for 16 yards and a touchdown, man that was exciting. i've also been doing kick offs, although not field goals yet, although the guy doing them is really really bad and i know for a fact i could do them much better, so i'm quite confident i'm gonna end up doing them eventually.

i seem to have typed much more than i planned to seeing as i don't actually have much of a point to make, but it's been absolutley amazing playing the game i love to watch so much and i can't wait for the next 3 years i get to do it for.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: English Vike plays some football

Sounds like fun man. Do you guys suit up in pads and have full contact or is it just like flag football? glad your having fun with it, it is a great game.

English Vike is offline Starter

yeah it's pads and full contact, the americans that have been over seem to agree that it feels about as tough as high school football to actually play in, although only because the guys tend to be bigger as they're older, mainly people in their 20s but some in their 30s and a few 18/19 year olds. they seem to think we'd get totally stuffed by an actual high school team though because their technique would be much better, understandably as we've only got to pick it up pretty late in life.

jimmymac is offline Pro-Bowler

That's cool English Vike!

Too bad I don't have access to an adult all-pads football league. Here it's all touch and flag football.
    -- Sarcasm always turned on --

Thats awesome man good luck with that.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

That's awesome English Vike. I wondered what happened to you recently. Don't worry about not making a point. We just like to hear how our Purplepride pals from across the pond are holding up.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"English Vike" wrote:
    I've been away from this site the last few months because i've been away up the other end of England going to university and studying law, much more interesting than the law however is that at the age of 20 i have finally had the chance to play the sport that i've become hopelessly obsessed with, it's not easy in this country as it's pretty obscure.

My university however is one of the ones in the country that actually runs a team which has been amazing, i don't really know where i'm going with this thread or what exactly people can say about it but it's just really exciting so i thought i'd share, it's like if you got to look at a picture of a cake every day for 3 years then finally got the chance to eat it!

It's obviously not not at all like playing at a college in america, there's hardly any financial backing and we're lucky if we get a crowd of 30 watching the games but it's been about the most fun i've had in my life.

I've been playing wide reciever, although i haven't really broken into the team properly yet but even practice has been mind blowingly fun, my time is probably gonna come after christmas as one of our two star recievers ahead of me was american and has gone back home now. so far i have the bizarre stats of one career catch for 16 yards and a touchdown, man that was exciting. i've also been doing kick offs, although not field goals yet, although the guy doing them is really really bad and i know for a fact i could do them much better, so i'm quite confident i'm gonna end up doing them eventually.

i seem to have typed much more than i planned to seeing as i don't actually have much of a point to make, but it's been absolutley amazing playing the game i love to watch so much and i can't wait for the next 3 years i get to do it for.

I can understand alot of what your going through ... Playing rugby in college. It's still a fledgling sport in the US but is growing. As you can more than attest to, over seas and in the southern hemisphere it's alot better known and played sport.

You type away because it is something you have become passionate about, as I was with rugby. Enjoy.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"English Vike" wrote:

Are you kidding, the fact that you are finally getting to experience full-contact football for the first time is all the point you need to make!!!

Enjoy the heck out of it, EV!!! Kick some azz!!! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Nice one English Vike ! I'm envious as I know how much enjoyment you'll get from playing - speaking as someone who played in the fledging American football leagues in the mid 80's when the sport started here.
    As you say the technique is everything, least one advantage you have nowadays is access to more games on TV/satellite which helps in watching how the pros do it.
    Stick with it and let us know how you get on - by the way which Uni team do play for ? I can then keep an eye out for the results
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Right on man.. Nice to see ya back in here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast