Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Re: English Class Revisited

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"mnjamie" wrote:
    That gives a whole new meaning to "pushing up daisies"!

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"MightyVikes12391" wrote:
    yea you have to spell peoples names correct thats just disrespect right cajonvike...........just kidding cajun
    Yeah...if I was actually cajonvike, I might be from California instead of Louisiana! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"mnjamie" wrote:
    I was going to suggest locking this one down, but after some recent posts, I've had a change of heart!

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

"singersp" wrote:
    "ColoradoVike" wrote:
    As of late, I have frequently noticed spelling errors in the posts made on ths site. My Fellow Vikings Fans, we are better than this, such sloppy mistakes are characteristic of those lowly sheep-loving packers fans.

So, as a reminder (or as an initial lesson as the case may be) look out for some common errors:

its versus it's use "its" to express possession, use "it's" for it is
    your versus you're use "your" to expression possession, use "you're" for you are
    their versus they're versus there use "their" to express possession, use "they're" for they are, use "there" as a location referent (e.g., that player over there)
    effect versus affect use "effect" to refer to a result (e.g., the effects of the salary-cap on team parity), use "affect" as a verb that essentially means to influence (e.g., the new instant review rule has not affected the pace of the game)

That's a short list for some common errors and I'm sure that others can add to the list. Let's try to make certain that our fellow Vikings Fans espouse quality in all regards.

your grammer gestapo,

CV
    Let's not & say we did.

CV, this is a Vikings forum, not English 101! The one thing we do not do here is badger people on their spelling, punctuation or grammer.

It has been brought up here many times that we do not do it. You've been here a year & you should know that by now.

I have found several errors in your post & you're chastizing others.

What's important is the message they're trying to convene in their post, not how their post is spelled or punctuated.

As long as you can understand their message, that is what's important.

I hope this is the last time I see a thread started on spelling, punctuation or grammer.

But then again, I said that three threads of this nature ago. :wink:
    well singer, i never said I post perfect prose, but i do think it's important to promote good communication skills. Writing is important in that regard.

And, as a matter of clarity, being here a year doesn't mean that I read every thread everyday. In fact, I didn't know that there is a laissez-faire policy on communication. That indeed is news to me.

"singersp" wrote:
    "ColoradoVike" wrote:
    As of late, I have frequently noticed spelling errors in the posts made on ths site. My Fellow Vikings Fans, we are better than this, such sloppy mistakes are characteristic of those lowly sheep-loving packers fans.

So, as a reminder (or as an initial lesson as the case may be) look out for some common errors:

its versus it's use "its" to express possession, use "it's" for it is
    your versus you're use "your" to expression possession, use "you're" for you are
    their versus they're versus there use "their" to express possession, use "they're" for they are, use "there" as a location referent (e.g., that player over there)
    effect versus affect use "effect" to refer to a result (e.g., the effects of the salary-cap on team parity), use "affect" as a verb that essentially means to influence (e.g., the new instant review rule has not affected the pace of the game)

That's a short list for some common errors and I'm sure that others can add to the list. Let's try to make certain that our fellow Vikings Fans espouse quality in all regards.

your grammer gestapo,

CV
    Let's not & say we did.

CV, this is a Vikings forum, not English 101! The one thing we do not do here is badger people on their spelling, punctuation or grammer.

It has been brought up here many times that we do not do it. You've been here a year & you should know that by now.

I have found several errors in your post & you're chastizing others.

What's important is the message they're trying to convene in their post, not how their post is spelled or punctuated.

As long as you can understand their message, that is what's important.

I hope this is the last time I see a thread started on spelling, punctuation or grammer.

But then again, I said that three threads of this nature ago. :wink:
    EXCEPT when they misspell someone's name...singer, even you have to agree that is INEXCUSABLE!!!

"singersp" wrote:
    "mnjamie" wrote:
    I was going to suggest locking this one down, but after some recent posts, I've had a change of heart!
    Dang it....ALL I see is red X's!!!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

This guys probably REALLY hates Muggsy!

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    Who really cares? People make mistakes every once in a while. It's not like it's the end of the world if someone makes a simple grammar mistake in their writing. I bet their are at least a few grammar mistakes in your little paragraph up there.

It's a message board. I think you need to calm down a bit. No one is perfect, people make mistakes. It's not like it's a paper for some job interview or something.
    Well, as sites like these become the daily text that people read, in lieu of newspapers or other edited publications, unchecked grammar errors can be reproduced to the point where it's the status quo. Obviously, I care about it, because there is a right way to do it. Moreover, good/poor writing reflects on one's character in the business world, in finding a job, and in being respected in one's work. But, I'm not really worked up about this at all, as my tongue-in-cheek tone suggests. I just wanted to make a light-hearted post in the clubhouse to help VikingFans be fanatical about communication too.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast