Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 318
  1. #101
    happy camper's Avatar
    happy camper is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,445

    Re: Is eminem a musical genius?

    The song Kim may be more exaggerated but that Bonnie and Clyde song is one of the most disgusting songs I have ever heard. To bring your daughter into that and write as if your talking to your own daughter about that?
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

  2. #102
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is eminem a musical genius?

    LMAO.

    Yes, just like George Bush was a foreign relations genius.

  3. #103
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Is eminem a musical genius?

    "happy" wrote:
    The song Kim may be more exaggerated but that Bonnie and Clyde song is one of the most disgusting songs I have ever heard. To bring your daughter into that and write as if your talking to your own daughter about that?

    Yah there are some songs I disagreed with too

  4. #104
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,686

    Re: Is eminem a musical genius?

    "cyviking" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "cyviking" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "cyviking" wrote:
    Being the best at what you do does not make you a "genius"...it just makes you the best. I dont think anyone would call Mike Tyson back when he was world champ a "genius" just the best.

    No i dont think Eminem is a genius, he is just good at what he does and has made a lot of cash doing it.

    Trying to bastardize the word "genius" by adding the word musical in front of it does not fly. You are either a real genius or you are not.....there are IQ tests for such matters.
    Tyson is not a genius, but athletes can be geniuses.

    You could call Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, or even Floyd Mayweather Jr a genius due to their exceptional boxing ability. However, Tyson was not a great boxer. He was certainly the best puncher, but not the best boxer.
    You missed my point. I wouldnt call any of those people you mentioned as genius, just good at what they do, maybe even gol 'darnit good at what they do but not genius.

    You cant call someone a genius for just being really good at what they do. example: That kid working at the BK drive through sure is a genius because no one takes orders as fast as him.

    Being good or even great at something does not make you a genius.
    No I didn't miss your point.

    There are different types of intelligence, one of them is Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence, and athletes exemplify that type of intelligence as well as anyone.
    I disagree, I know what BKI is and you can not measure it. We can at least try to measure how smart someone is.
    I am no genius, but my BKI may be higher than many professional athlets
    I was just not blessed with speed and size and thus never was able to make a living doing such....we have no way of knowing what a persons BKI is compared to another persons exactly.


    Having a high BKI is just a way of saying someone is a great athlete...not a genius.

    once again being good at something does not make you a genius.
    I can't agree with that. Boxing is a poor example, but I was just responding to the Tyson remark. I believe you can measure bodily-kinesthetic intelligence. Success in different aspects of body control. Agility, speed, coordination, explosiveness, balance. Anything "god given."

    I tend to agree with Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

  5. #105
    Garland Greene's Avatar
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Is eminem a musical genius?

    Like I said in the hip-hop thread. for Rap Music Yes I think he is a genius. In Music as a whole, Then I would say no.

  6. #106
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,406

    Re: Is eminem a musical genius?

    "Garland" wrote:
    Like I said in the hip-hop thread. for Rap Music Yes I think he is a genius. In Music as a whole, Then I would say no.
    A Rap Genius, eh?

    That's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  7. #107
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is eminem a musical genius?

    "C" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    Like I said in the hip-hop thread. for Rap Music Yes I think he is a genius. In Music as a whole, Then I would say no.
    A Rap Genius, eh?

    That's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.
    LMAO

  8. #108
    Garland Greene's Avatar
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Is eminem a musical genius?

    "josdin00" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    [quote author=V4L link=topic=50680.msg912066#msg912066 date=1235594120]
    [quote author=C Mac D link=topic=50680.msg912065#msg912065 date=1235593905]
    [quote author=V4L link=topic=50680.msg912061#msg912061 date=1235593677]
    It all comes down to opinion.. And if you went to a predominatley young message board the polls would look different

    Some appreciate instruments and singing.. And consider that good music

    I personally don't care for it, but know they are good at what they do and it takes talent

    It's a new era where rap music is now the new thing.. You go to clubs and you won't here Bob Dylan bumping through the speakers.. Tell a young kid to dance to that.. It won't happen.. Doesn't mean it isn't good music or he isn't a genius at what he did

    I guess the term genius is loosely used and not many can be considered a genius.. To me you don't need to play a piano in your music to be considered a genius at what you do.. Eminem is an industry master mind
    No, it doesn't.

    He's not a genius.

    Once again no basis for your argument.. Like with everything and you expect people to listen

    Shit many of the bands back in the day had people on a guitar.. A bass and drums.. Yet the lead singer is the musical genius

    This whole thing is flawed.. You give no lee way.. You have a narrow minded vision of what music is.. You feel they need to be going crazy on a guitar and singing in perfect melody and harmony

    I don't feel that is what makes music what it is.. Music has changed.. Get with the times man.. All the music you listen to is old news
    I'm not narrow minded about music, but I am narrow minded about the way the word "Genius" is used...

    But as this conversation continues to progress, I can see why you think Eminem is a genius.

    Because I feel it takes talent to mix up good beats and write lyrics and deliver then how he does? Or to produce some of the top selling albums and hit singles of this era?

    Funny...

    You have not had one good argument.. All you can do is laugh and say no he isn't a genius.. When clearly he is.. He is at the top of the music industry for a reason..
    He is clearly at the top of the music industry, but in my mind, that does not identify him as a genius. To me, a genius is someone who's talents in the area of discussion are better than 99% of everyone else in that field. Eminem is good at what he does, but he's not better than (almost) every other rapper out there.
    [/quote]


    I respect that man.. As a rap fan I feel differently

    Although his lyrics are defensive and gross sometimes.. He still has huge talent in writing lyrics and putting in clever ways to get his thoughts out there
    [/quote]

    I've only ever really listened to four rappers, at least enough to say I know their style. Most rap isn't my thing, but I enjoyed these artists enough to listen to a bunch of their stuff. They're Eminem, Wyclef Jean, Kid Rock, and Speech. Of those four, I'd put Eminem at the bottom of the list, though it'd be close with Speech. Wyclef would be first; Kid Rock, second.

    And just to throw a new twist in the discussion, of those four, Kid Rock is the one who I'd say is closest to being a musical genius. He can rap, either with a turntable and a mic, or with a live band. He can play any instrument in his band. He can shift from rap to rock to blues to country to pop. I think the fact that his talents span so many genres puts him much farther ahead in the discussion than Eminem, whose talents are only in one specific genre. Still, I don't know if I would can him a genius. That's a pretty elusive category in my book.
    [/quote]

    Since When is Kid Rock considered Rap?

    Grit Sadwiches for Breakfast was his firts attemt at the industry, he realized he was horrible and got zero airplay(And it was a Horrible album), I can say this because I was working at a college radio station at the time as a music director. This can nver be a fair argumenty becaus epeople cannot put aside their "hate" for the music based on the talet and the accomplishments. But saying that someone has no talet or is not a genius at what they do because you hate them is quite honestly very narrow minded. Not say you directly Josdin, just using a blanket statement for this argument.
    Bonnie and Clyde is a song, and there are MANY other songs with lyrics that are contriveral not just in the rap industry.

  9. #109
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re: Is eminem a musical genius?

    "C" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    Like I said in the hip-hop thread. for Rap Music Yes I think he is a genius. In Music as a whole, Then I would say no.
    A Rap Genius, eh?

    That's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.
    I could think of a few other morons.

  10. #110
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re: Is eminem a musical genius?

    The thread is more pointless than guitars that are green.

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Musical Geniuses, athletes
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 08:25 AM
  2. Eminem gets jiggly butt in the face by a dude.
    By happy camper in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 01:57 AM
  3. Eminem, high school sweetheart divorce again
    By Garland Greene in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-20-2006, 08:05 PM
  4. Gotta musical question...
    By Mr. Purple in forum Help / Suggestion Box
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-17-2006, 02:04 PM
  5. If you could be a musical Instrument..
    By TheAnimal93 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 03:28 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •