Thread: Drum & Bass!

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

Drum & Bass!

I thought I would share my favorite type of music.

Drum and Bass a.k.a. D&B is a type of electronic dance music also known as jungle which emerged in the late 1980s. The genre is characterised by fast tempo broken beat drums, with heavy sub basslines. In the 2000s, drum and bass is still considered an underground musical style, but it has nevertheless had a significant influence on popular music and culture. Drum and bass began as an offshoot of the UK's hardcore rave scene of the very early 90s, and over the first decade of its existence there were many permutations in its style, incorporating elements from ragga, dancehall, electro, funk, hip hop, house, jazz, heavy metal, reggae, rock, techno and trance.

Some samples: There are so many artists, if you have a system then these tunes come alive! I couldn't find my favorite tracks, but these are the best I could do.

Andy C
    [youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Htt7J4JR0Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Diesel Boy (he has some sick stuff out there, this is not his best by a long shot)
    [youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/laMGluWqgfc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Evol Intent
    [youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/77VerEfnXnw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

My Fav... Pendulum
    [youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3b0J8cw8ZWE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_and_bass

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Drum & Bass!

I don't mind the genre, just not something I listen to regularly. Great music to listen to when driving fast though.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

It's sorta like rap, without the rapping... which is great.

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

"C" wrote:

Some of it can be, but i hate rap beats...

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"erik5032" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

Some of it can be, but i hate rap beats...
    Great thing about being a drum and bass musician is that you don't have to worry about that troublesome "talent" thing getting in the way.

Eh, I'm just bustin' balls. I think all music has some redeeming qualities. While I may not listen to it, I can definitely appreciate the music itself.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I read this wrong, i thought it said dumb and ass

Dekay is offline Pro-Bowler Element Quest Champion

I personally like Andy C very much and his sound, and i could perhaps go to a "rave" with D&B music only. Otherwise im all into Hardtrance, Hardstyle, oldschool/style, jumpstyle and UK Hardcore and Hardcore.

Once you go black, you never go back and house and trance is too soft for me, I may put some tiesto or ferry Corsten on if i wanna fall sleep nicely and i may put up with some electro or even psy if it has "go" in it but otherwise hard is my style!

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

I don't follow the D&B scene now but I was heavily into it in the early 90's when I used to go to a lot of all night raves. At that time the DJ's were better known than the artists that they played, with most of the records being on white labels. I have a stack of them at home plus 2 Technics SL1210 decks and a mixer, unfortunately due to space where I live right now I can't have them set up. I also have a lot of mix tapes from that time, from the likes of Top Buzz, Mickey Finn, Grooverider, Ratpack, Slipmatt, Ratty, Ellis Dee, DJ Hype, Carl Cox and probably my favourite for scratch mixing DJ SY.

I still listen to the music from that time regularly but I haven't attended any raves since about 1995, which was also the last time I took ecstasy. I don't know what it's like now but back then there was a big drug culture surrounding this type of music, with the vast majority of people indulging in some form of narcotics. I actually lost a stone in weight one night just due to dancing for 12 hours non stop, although because it is mostly water the weight is quickly put back on. While I would never encourage anyone to take drugs, I can't say I regret it either, I had some of the best times of my life at these events although I feel I stopped at the right time as I have seen the negative effects on people who didn't know when to say enough is enough.

Enough about the drugs, IMO the music from back then still stands up without the aid of stimulants.........

2 Bad Mice - Bombscare....
    [youtube=425,350]aMHJyUAKC6E[/youtube]

Acen - Trip II The Moon....
    [youtube=425,350]ymMzjKKRefw[/youtube]

SL2 - On A Ragga Tip....
    [youtube=425,350]gXCN1DhHTZA[/youtube]

The Prodigy - Out Of Space....
    [youtube=425,350]u7edztkuz5o[/youtube]

Liquid - Sweet Harmony....
    [youtube=425,350]ZspnU6THJrI[/youtube]

Origin Unknown - Valley of the Shadows....
    [youtube=425,350]mJyMrGMDtdM[/youtube]

Top Buzz - Living in Darkness....
    [youtube=425,350]IirxRnz0Ju0[/youtube]

Nookie - Shining in da Darkness....
    [youtube=425,350]310W6KfCNNs[/youtube]

I'm a fan of a wide range of music, and to pick a favourite track of all time is almost impossible but If pushed it would be either this track by Nookie or Find the River by REM.