BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Doodle arrest: Zero tolerance run amok?

Girl's arrest for doodling raises concerns about zero tolerance

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/18/new.york.doodle.arrest/index.html?hpt=C1

Sajid28 is offline Coordinator

Re:Doodle arrest: Zero tolerance run amok?

wow.. dont they got anything better to do? i had a friend back in middle school who use to take a permanent sharpie and draw all over every desk. the whole desk was covered with him "tagging" his name on the desk. he maybe did it to atleast 20-30 desks and when they found out it was him he just got indoor suspension for about a 3 days max.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The decision to press charges was filed by the school and the department of education - not the police. And the zero tolorance policy is on the school and DoE as well.

I think that the handcuffing may have been out of line - but I don't know what the precint's policies are. This is New York City, it wouldn't surprise me if they have a "Always Handcuff" policy. Given that there was another report of a student being handcuffed, I would assume that is the case.

Personally, I think that the school officials shoudl be able to deal with things like this without having to involve the police. Tagging is an issue - it causes a lot of expense for the schools, and it shows a general lack of respect for pretty much everyone else. But I don't know if I see it as something that the police should have to handle. Maybe if it is a recurring problem with an individual, or if the total damage exceed a certain amount. But not in this case.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

YES!!!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Probably could have handled it themselves.. But whatever it's still vandalism

Handcuffs although not nessisary.. I really don't have much of a problem with it

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

V4L wrote:
    Probably could have handled it themselves.. But whatever it's still vandalism

Handcuffs although not nessisary.. I really don't have much of a problem with it
    You don't see a problem with calling the police over writing on a desk? The police. Cops. Guys with guns. Because an 11 year old was writing on a desk...

In my day this was handled through a trip to the principles office... a stern talking to... a letter to the parents... in school suspension or detention... and community service (i.e. clean 1,000 desks for every desk you drew on). The guys with guns served no purpose.

In my 4 years in HS I can remember the cops being needed twice. Once a few students from the HS across the river (different city) decided they wanted to "invade" our HS almost causing a riot and there were reports they may have weapons (which back then would have been a knife or pipe)... and second was the cops arresting some kids smoking pot in their car during school.

Goodness... I still remember the 3 rules of dodgeball in gym class... #1 don't hit anyone in the back... #2 don't hit anyone in the head... #3 don't hit the teacher... I hit the teacher in the back of the head... I had to run laps... a lot of laps... in today's society I'd have been arrested for assault!
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Crimes like this warrant the death penalty.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Zero tolerance policies are bullshit.
    Thoughtless disciplinarians teach anger, frustration, and fear.

What effect will this have on this hardened criminals future?
    I doubt she will ever view teachers, administrators, or even cops the same.

Surprised the cop didn't say, "Are you serious?" to them principal.

My america has changed.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer