Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 116
  1. #11
    josdin00's Avatar
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,619

    Re: Don Imus Opens His Mouth Again

    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    So what did he say?

    He asked what color he was, is question was answered, and he said "now we know."


    There's nothing there he could possibly be punished for, just like his nappy-headed hoes comment.

    Everyone has the same freedom of speech, he can say any word he wants so long as it's not an FCC violation, even then it's just a fine(normally).


    The old bigots have the same rights as everyone else.
    he is implying that the reason pacman has commited these crimes is because he is african america, dont u think thats a big deal?
    I have not heard comments myself. All I know of them is what has been posted in this thread. The only time I've ever heard Imus talk was in the clips that accompanied the 'nappy headed' story. Having said that, is it possible that he was suggesting that the reason pacman was arrested was because he was african american, and not that he commited the crimes because he was black? Those can be two completely different statements, and the four lines posted earlier could be read either way.

    In all likelyhood, it doesn't matter which way he ment the comments. He's an idiot for treading so close to racist comments so soon after being re-instated from the suspension that resulted from his previous racial comments. He's going to be dumped, not for any reason relating to the 1st amendment, but because his company likely won't want to suffer the financial hardships that would result from them trying to keep him on staff again.

    And here's an interesting side point for you all:
    Congress shall make no law ... prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, ....
    +

    http://www.fcc.gov/aboutus.html wrote:
    The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ... was established by the Communications Act of 1934 and is charged with regulating interstate and international communications ...
    =

    the FCC is unconstitutional

  2. #12
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Don Imus Opens His Mouth Again

    "Garland" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    So what did he say?

    He asked what color he was, is question was answered, and he said "now we know."


    There's nothing there he could possibly be punished for, just like his nappy-headed hoes comment.

    Everyone has the same freedom of speech, he can say any word he wants so long as it's not an FCC violation, even then it's just a fine(normally).


    The old bigots have the same rights as everyone else.
    he is implying that the reason pacman has commited these crimes is because he is african america, dont u think thats a big deal?
    No I do not.

    We have a little document called the Constitution, which allows Imus to say whatever he wants so long as it does not incite violence nor preach sedition.


    Although I find Imus' comments morally questionable, he has done nothing wrong.

    There are way worse people walking/talking all around America who go unnoticed, punish them instead of focusing on this old idiot.
    I have to disagree, it is comments like that that are allowed to go unquestioned that can cause the very things you mentioned. And another reason why those other people are doing the same thing, the idea of "hey it's ok for guys l;like Imus and Limbaugh to say these things why not me.
    Don't get me wrong, there are things that even black people say that I don't agree with as well. We need to quit making excuses for what is being said and say wrong is wrong period. IT will change alot of things with race relations in this country.

    Yes you are right there are those that walk around who go unnoticed but how many of them have a nationally broadcast radio or TV show? You are right it is free speech, but that doesn't mean there should not be a consequence. For example I could post every derogatory four letter word about Marr's Wife on this board(I am kidding of course and never would ) Free Speech? yeah I am sure that I could say that but I am pretty sure that I would have perhaps the biggest ban in the history of PPO. So it would be wrong for Webby or Ultra to ban me because I am just using free speech?

    No, because there are rules set forward against personal attacks on other members.

    Imus did nothing wrong in the incident with the Rutgers(I go to Rutgers, just a little fyi, but it doesn't make me any more knowledgeable on the subject) Women's Basketball team. I took the same opinion of not really caring on that one either. He spoke his mind, what he believes, nothing wrong with that.

    He has the balls to say what many others would not in front of a huge audience, and I respect him for that.

    I'll repeat myself, I think his comments were morally wrong, but he did not break any rules, he should not be punished for this.

    So I'll agree to disagree GG, I respect your opinion, but respect the constitution more so

  3. #13
    josdin00's Avatar
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,619

    Re: Don Imus Opens His Mouth Again

    "Mr" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    So what did he say?

    He asked what color he was, is question was answered, and he said "now we know."


    There's nothing there he could possibly be punished for, just like his nappy-headed hoes comment.

    Everyone has the same freedom of speech, he can say any word he wants so long as it's not an FCC violation, even then it's just a fine(normally).


    The old bigots have the same rights as everyone else.
    he is implying that the reason pacman has commited these crimes is because he is african america, dont u think thats a big deal?
    No I do not.

    We have a little document called the Constitution, which allows Imus to say whatever he wants so long as it does not incite violence nor preach sedition.


    Although I find Imus' comments morally questionable, he has done nothing wrong.

    There are way worse people walking/talking all around America who go unnoticed, punish them instead of focusing on this old idiot.
    I have to disagree, it is comments like that that are allowed to go unquestioned that can cause the very things you mentioned. And another reason why those other people are doing the same thing, the idea of "hey it's ok for guys l;like Imus and Limbaugh to say these things why not me.
    Don't get me wrong, there are things that even black people say that I don't agree with as well. We need to quit making excuses for what is being said and say wrong is wrong period. IT will change alot of things with race relations in this country.

    Yes you are right there are those that walk around who go unnoticed but how many of them have a nationally broadcast radio or TV show? You are right it is free speech, but that doesn't mean there should not be a consequence. For example I could post every derogatory four letter word about Marr's Wife on this board(I am kidding of course and never would ) Free Speech? yeah I am sure that I could say that but I am pretty sure that I would have perhaps the biggest ban in the history of PPO. So it would be wrong for Webby or Ultra to ban me because I am just using free speech?

    No, because there are rules set forward against personal attacks on other members.

    Imus did nothing wrong in the incident with the Rutgers(I go to Rutgers, just a little fyi, but it doesn't make me any more knowledgeable on the subject) Women's Basketball team. I took the same opinion of not really caring on that one either. He spoke his mind, what he believes, nothing wrong with that.

    He has the balls to say what many others would not in front of a huge audience, and I respect him for that.

    I'll repeat myself, I think his comments were morally wrong, but he did not break any rules, he should not be punished for this.

    So I'll agree to disagree GG, I respect your opinion, but respect the constitution more so
    The only way the constitution is an issue in this is if the government were trying to get him fired. This will be decided based on whether or not his employers feel that those he offended are motivated enough and numerous enough to cause them financial harm.

  4. #14
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Don Imus Opens His Mouth Again

    "Garland" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    So what did he say?

    He asked what color he was, is question was answered, and he said "now we know."


    There's nothing there he could possibly be punished for, just like his nappy-headed hoes comment.

    Everyone has the same freedom of speech, he can say any word he wants so long as it's not an FCC violation, even then it's just a fine(normally).


    The old bigots have the same rights as everyone else.
    he is implying that the reason pacman has commited these crimes is because he is african america, dont u think thats a big deal?
    No I do not.

    We have a little document called the Constitution, which allows Imus to say whatever he wants so long as it does not incite violence nor preach sedition.


    Although I find Imus' comments morally questionable, he has done nothing wrong.

    There are way worse people walking/talking all around America who go unnoticed, punish them instead of focusing on this old idiot.
    I have to disagree, it is comments like that that are allowed to go unquestioned that can cause the very things you mentioned. And another reason why those other people are doing the same thing, the idea of "hey it's ok for guys l;like Imus and Limbaugh to say these things why not me.
    Don't get me wrong, there are things that even black people say that I don't agree with as well. We need to quit making excuses for what is being said and say wrong is wrong period. IT will change alot of things with race relations in this country.

    Yes you are right there are those that walk around who go unnoticed but how many of them have a nationally broadcast radio or TV show? You are right it is free speech, but that doesn't mean there should not be a consequence. For example I could post every derogatory four letter word about Marr's Wife on this board(I am kidding of course and never would ) Free Speech? yeah I am sure that I could say that but I am pretty sure that I would have perhaps the biggest ban in the history of PPO. So it would be wrong for Webby or Ultra to ban me because I am just using free speech?

    The speech which we find the most offensive is what we should fight the hardest to protect.
    The United States is one of the few countries which does NOT regulate public speech.
    Even our friends to the north do not have this privilege.
    In Canada, the right to speak freely is not absolute.

    That being said, IMHO Imus is a racist idiot.
    That should be reason enough for any media station to severe ties with him.
    But they don't have to, and he didn't do anything illegal.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #15
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Don Imus Opens His Mouth Again

    Here is the audio BTW.

    http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id=5127eb0c-cf73-4b8f-9805-926190b45245
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  6. #16
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Don Imus Opens His Mouth Again

    "josdin00" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    [quote author=Mr Anderson link=topic=45858.msg795326#msg795326 date=1214265082]
    So what did he say?

    He asked what color he was, is question was answered, and he said "now we know."


    There's nothing there he could possibly be punished for, just like his nappy-headed hoes comment.

    Everyone has the same freedom of speech, he can say any word he wants so long as it's not an FCC violation, even then it's just a fine(normally).


    The old bigots have the same rights as everyone else.
    he is implying that the reason pacman has commited these crimes is because he is african america, dont u think thats a big deal?
    No I do not.

    We have a little document called the Constitution, which allows Imus to say whatever he wants so long as it does not incite violence nor preach sedition.


    Although I find Imus' comments morally questionable, he has done nothing wrong.

    There are way worse people walking/talking all around America who go unnoticed, punish them instead of focusing on this old idiot.
    I have to disagree, it is comments like that that are allowed to go unquestioned that can cause the very things you mentioned. And another reason why those other people are doing the same thing, the idea of "hey it's ok for guys l;like Imus and Limbaugh to say these things why not me.
    Don't get me wrong, there are things that even black people say that I don't agree with as well. We need to quit making excuses for what is being said and say wrong is wrong period. IT will change alot of things with race relations in this country.

    Yes you are right there are those that walk around who go unnoticed but how many of them have a nationally broadcast radio or TV show? You are right it is free speech, but that doesn't mean there should not be a consequence. For example I could post every derogatory four letter word about Marr's Wife on this board(I am kidding of course and never would ) Free Speech? yeah I am sure that I could say that but I am pretty sure that I would have perhaps the biggest ban in the history of PPO. So it would be wrong for Webby or Ultra to ban me because I am just using free speech?

    No, because there are rules set forward against personal attacks on other members.

    Imus did nothing wrong in the incident with the Rutgers(I go to Rutgers, just a little fyi, but it doesn't make me any more knowledgeable on the subject) Women's Basketball team. I took the same opinion of not really caring on that one either. He spoke his mind, what he believes, nothing wrong with that.

    He has the balls to say what many others would not in front of a huge audience, and I respect him for that.

    I'll repeat myself, I think his comments were morally wrong, but he did not break any rules, he should not be punished for this.

    So I'll agree to disagree GG, I respect your opinion, but respect the constitution more so
    The only way the constitution is an issue in this is if the government were trying to get him fired. This will be decided based on whether or not his employers feel that those he offended are motivated enough and numerous enough to cause them financial harm.
    [/quote]

    And I understand that, but I think most people believe he was "fired" the first time, and may be again because of the words that came out of his mouth, not the potential impact on the station.

  7. #17
    baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,065

    Re: Don Imus Opens His Mouth Again

    Sometimes I want that guy to give me a blow job, just so I can truthfully say that the smartest thing to ever come out of his mouth was my dick

  8. #18
    olson_10's Avatar
    olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Don Imus Opens His Mouth Again

    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    So what did he say?

    He asked what color he was, is question was answered, and he said "now we know."


    There's nothing there he could possibly be punished for, just like his nappy-headed hoes comment.

    Everyone has the same freedom of speech, he can say any word he wants so long as it's not an FCC violation, even then it's just a fine(normally).


    The old bigots have the same rights as everyone else.
    he is implying that the reason pacman has commited these crimes is because he is african america, dont u think thats a big deal?
    where do you get that idea? the comments he made the first time werent racist, and i actually found it hilarious that the entire team, including the white members of the team were there accepting apologies for it..the comment he made this time goes along with his explanation, where he clearly shows that hes in a way defending jones

    put it this way, the comments he made this time were actually sympathetic towards adam jones, while the comments made the first time were more sexist than anything, with "hoes" really being the only bad word used..saying that the use of the words "nappy headed" is bigotry is a huge reach

    the only reason the first comments were a big deal was because it was around the time of the ncaa tournament, and that coach was doing all she could to get her team some national media attention in a sport that receives very little
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

  9. #19
    olson_10's Avatar
    olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Don Imus Opens His Mouth Again

    "baumy300" wrote:
    Sometimes I want that guy to give me a blow job, just so I can truthfully say that the smartest thing to ever come out of his mouth was my slick willy
    this is why he gets to share his opinions to millions of people for millions of dollars, and you get to do it on a meaningless internet forum..you dont have to agree with everything he says, but hes in the media biz for a reason..im also pretty sure that other than the 2 controversial remarks, you probably havent heard any of his other stuff

    in addition to that, the vulgarity of what you just said is worse than anything imus said, so im not sure why you have such an issue with his exercising the right to free speech..im not advocating racist remarks by any means, but this imus thing is a reach at best
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

  10. #20
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,779

    Re: Don Imus Opens His Mouth Again


Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Smash Mouth.
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 07:43 PM
  2. No mouth-to-mouth required in new CPR rules
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 06:06 AM
  3. Imus returns to radio on Monday
    By Vikes_King in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-01-2007, 09:22 PM
  4. Smash Mouth.
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-30-2006, 04:00 AM
  5. Freddie mitchell opens his mouth again
    By vikingsalltheway in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 07:38 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •