Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

'Dog' collared for jumping bail in Mexico

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/09/14/dog.bounty/index.html

'Dog' collared for jumping bail in Mexico

(CNN) -- Duane "Dog" Chapman, the self-proclaimed world's most-famous bounty hunter who achieved notoriety nabbing thousands of bail jumpers was arrested Thursday for allegedly jumping bail in Mexico.

U.S. marshals arrested the star of the A&E reality show "Dog the Bounty Hunter" at his home in Hawaii at the request of the Mexican government.

Chapman was wanted in connection with his highly publicized 2003 capture of Max Factor cosmetics heir Andrew Luster, who fled to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, after skipping out on a $1 million bail.

Luster was later convicted in-absentia on 86 charges involving drugging three women with the date-rape drug, GHB, and raping them. Luster is serving a 124-year sentence. (Full story)

Chapman's son, Leland, also was arrested Thursday, as was colleague Tim Chapman, who is unrelated but considered a "blood brother" by Dog, according to the reality show's Web site.

Marshals knocked on the door of Chapman's home just after 6 a.m., and they entered the home after the unlatched door came open, said Deputy U.S. Marshal Jay Bieber.

Chapman was cooperative, Bieber said. He was handcuffed and placed in the back of a government vehicle.

Chapman's wife, Beth, told MSNBC her husband was being held in a federal detention center in Honolulu.

The arrest warrant is under seal, and charges are expected to be announced Friday when Chapman is scheduled to appear before a magistrate's court in Honolulu.

Larry Butrick, chief of the criminal division of the U.S. attorney's office in Hawaii, said Chapman was arrested by Mexican authorities in June 2003 on charges of illegal detention and conspiracy.

The magistrate will determine whether Chapman can be extradited to Mexico, and the final decision will be made by the U.S. secretary of state, according to the U.S. attorney's office in Hawaii.

Mexican police said that the three men subdued Luster outside a nightclub, put him in an SUV and drove off June 18, 2003. Police stopped the vehicles soon afterward and took the men into custody.

Chapman and his crew were not authorized to track Luster and take him into custody in Mexico, Mexican officials said at the time, adding that bounty hunting is illegal in Mexico.

Judge Jose de Jesus Pineda ordered the three men to stand trial on charges of unlawful detention and deprivation of freedom, charges which carry sentences of up to four years in prison.

Pineda granted the men bail -- $1,500 each -- but the three were supposed to check in regularly with police and get Pineda's permission before traveling outside the Mexican state of Jalisco, a prosecutor said.

The men did not, supervising prosecutor Marco Roberto Suarez said in July 2003, threatening to have the men arrested and returned to Mexico if they missed their scheduled appearance before Pineda.

The following month, Superior Court Judge Edward Brodie in Ventura County, California, ruled that Chapman was not entitled to any of the $1 million in bail money forfeited by Luster when he fled to Mexico. (Full story)

"I cannot do vigilante justice," Brodie said. "In my view, you violated state statutes and Mexican statutes. Therefore you are not entitled to any restitution."

Chapman later said he was proud that he had captured Luster, but regretted doing it "in the wrong way."

"Dog the Bounty Hunter," in which Chapman and his family chase down bail jumpers and other fugitives, is one of A&E's most popular series. It is in its third season.

CNN's Deborah Feyerick contributed to this report.

Kind of Ironic I guess. I watch this show on a somewhat regular basis.
    Pretty funny at times.

Del Rio Guest

Re: 'Dog' collared for jumping bail in Mexico

Screw Mexico.

If "Dog" hadn't gone and taken the guy he would still be down there on a beach somewhere tanning himself. He raped three ladies, our government wasn't getting the job done, mexico is unhelpful.

Tell Mexico to kiss our ass, either that or tell them that they can come pick him up but to bring 500 busses because there are some other people here that need to go back with his mullet wearing ass.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Ouch !!
    can you imagine what his wife was like about this ??
    she is not a person that I'd want to get the wrong side of... could be a case of there not being a fourth season for his TV series
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Prophet Guest

Never have seen the show.
    Going back to the survivor thread, I would watch that show if they put a bunch of felons on an island and the survivor gets freedom, released in the middle of Iraq...then continue the reality show to see how he does on his adventures.

I think Dog Chapman should have been arrested years ago for subjecting people to that mullet, not to mention his other great fashion choices.

Json is offline GM

I watch this show on some what of an obitual basis.
    use to watch it much more before then I do now because I've seen most of the episodes.
    With that said i"m a bit suprised that those three where arrested.
    Mexico is a bunch of iidiots.
    Like Del Rio said, Dog and his group took a rapest off the streets shouldn't they be happy?
    Sometimes a blind eye needs to be turned and this seems to be one of those times.
    If Dog wouldn't have captured this guy he would be in Mexico date raping more innocent victims and ruining there lives.
    I guess it's the price Dog has to pay to protect innocent people from predators like this Luster guy.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    Screw Mexico.

If "Dog" hadn't gone and taken the guy he would still be down there on a beach somewhere tanning himself. He raped three ladies, our government wasn't getting the job done, mexico is unhelpful.

Tell Mexico to kiss our jiggly butt, either that or tell them that they can come pick him up but to bring 500 busses because there are some other people here that need to go back with his mullet wearing jiggly butt.
    Would it be cheaper to buid a moat on the boarder with alligators than a fence that can be climed pr dug under?