Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,782
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Does anyone brew their own beer?

    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "LAVike" wrote:
    I've been brewing in one of those Mr Beer Brew Keg kits for over five years. I think it's great. It does take a while to go from making it to drinking it. The key is to get a cycle going. Have some ready to drink by the time you start with another batch. You can pretty much get a case going a week if you're up to it. I've perfected the craft after a lot of trial and error. It's best to get a case of Corona bottles (finish them off) and wash all the empties in the diswasher. Corona's great because it's a clear bottle so you get to see the process and check for any problems, and there aren't any labels you have to worry about peeling off. The trick is to make sure the bottles are extra clean and dry when you start (unwanted bacteria will kill your beer). I also purchased a bottler on the net (pretty cheap). Another must when home brewing. Check out their site. They have so many different beers you can brew, I'm sure you'll find the one you're looking for.
    Problem is that you have to drink the Corona beer first! ukeright:

    The WORST beer on the PLANET!!!
    Could always use it for stripping varnish off tables, failing that keep for when you're entertaining people you really dislike ... like other lawyers - you know the honest ones :wink:
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  2. #12
    digital420's Avatar
    digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Ancient Korinthia
    Posts
    2,548

    Re: Does anyone brew their own beer?

    My Mom and dad brew.. i even have recipes for siara nevada, and murphy's irish stout, guiness, and i think my dad's sending me this year some of the local breweries recipies.

    it's the best thing for me here in greece as we get.. amster and heinicrap.. though i do get guiness / murphy's imported..


    DiGiTaL

    "We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

  3. #13
    Prophet Guest

    Re: Does anyone brew their own beer?

    I brew my own. There are plenty of good beer recipe books out there. Well worth your time and it isn't all that difficult. Takes a while to perfect your brew though.....the testing of the brew is also enjoyable. lol

  4. #14
    ryanmurphy is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    391

    Re: Does anyone brew their own beer?

    I have been brewing about 9 years now, and have gotten into it pretty deep. I started with a kit (not mr-beer though), and now have well over a thousand dollars in equiptment. I do beer, wine, and champagne. I also no longer bottle. I have a kegging system and a fridge with a tap in the door in my garage. That saves a lot of time, because you can force carbonate in about 2 days versus 30-45 with natural bottle carbonation. Feel free to contact me with any questions. I recomend http://www.grapeandgranary.com/ for supplies and recipies.

  5. #15
    Prophet Guest

    Re: Does anyone brew their own beer?

    "ryanmurphy" wrote:
    I have been brewing about 9 years now, and have gotten into it pretty deep. I started with a kit (not mr-beer though), and now have well over a thousand dollars in equiptment. I do beer, wine, and champagne. I also no longer bottle. I have a kegging system and a fridge with a tap in the door in my garage. That saves a lot of time, because you can force carbonate in about 2 days versus 30-45 with natural bottle carbonation. Feel free to contact me with any questions. I recomend http://www.grapeandgranary.com/ for supplies and recipies.
    Now you're talkin'. Sounds like a great setup. I've been wanting to do that for a while.

  6. #16
    ryanmurphy is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    391

    Re: Does anyone brew their own beer?

    "CulpepernSalt" wrote:
    i plan on buying the wart...so that cuts it like 70% of the time
    Thats not true... The wort takes about 4 hours to cook between 7-10 days to ferment. If you bottle, carbonation takes over a month.

  7. #17
    ryanmurphy is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    391

    Re: Does anyone brew their own beer?

    "Prophet" wrote:
    "ryanmurphy" wrote:
    I have been brewing about 9 years now, and have gotten into it pretty deep. I started with a kit (not mr-beer though), and now have well over a thousand dollars in equiptment. I do beer, wine, and champagne. I also no longer bottle. I have a kegging system and a fridge with a tap in the door in my garage. That saves a lot of time, because you can force carbonate in about 2 days versus 30-45 with natural bottle carbonation. Feel free to contact me with any questions. I recomend http://www.grapeandgranary.com/ for supplies and recipies.
    Now you're talkin'. Sounds like a great setup. I've been wanting to do that for a while.
    Homebrewing is right up there with the Vikings for me.

    Its the best... Handy while mowing the lawn. My buddy set me up with an old fridge from an apartment complex that he used to work at. I drilled a hole in the front for the tap, and a hole on the side to feed a tube from a CO2 tank. I use a 5 gallon soda keg, because they are tall and skinng, and 2 fit in the fridge. I have been meaning to put a 2nd tap up. You can also split the CO2 tank to 2 or 3 kegs at once.

    I didnt get into wine and champagne till a few years after playing around with beer. They are kind of boreing to make, but chicks dig it. I still have the 1st bottle of champaigne I ever made on my fireplace. It was bottled 01-01-2000. I want to open a bar / microbrewery in the near future, and I kept that bottle as part of the whole "visualize your dreams" thing. It will get opened the night my bar opens.

  8. #18
    Prophet Guest

    Re: Does anyone brew their own beer?

    "ryanmurphy" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "ryanmurphy" wrote:
    I have been brewing about 9 years now, and have gotten into it pretty deep. I started with a kit (not mr-beer though), and now have well over a thousand dollars in equiptment. I do beer, wine, and champagne. I also no longer bottle. I have a kegging system and a fridge with a tap in the door in my garage. That saves a lot of time, because you can force carbonate in about 2 days versus 30-45 with natural bottle carbonation. Feel free to contact me with any questions. I recomend http://www.grapeandgranary.com/ for supplies and recipies.
    Now you're talkin'. Sounds like a great setup. I've been wanting to do that for a while.
    Homebrewing is right up there with the Vikings for me.

    Its the best... Handy while mowing the lawn. My buddy set me up with an old fridge from an apartment complex that he used to work at. I drilled a hole in the front for the tap, and a hole on the side to feed a tube from a CO2 tank. I use a 5 gallon soda keg, because they are tall and skinng, and 2 fit in the fridge. I have been meaning to put a 2nd tap up. You can also split the CO2 tank to 2 or 3 kegs at once.

    I didnt get into wine and champagne till a few years after playing around with beer. They are kind of boreing to make, but chicks dig it. I still have the 1st bottle of champaigne I ever made on my fireplace. It was bottled 01-01-2000. I want to open a bar / microbrewery in the near future, and I kept that bottle as part of the whole "visualize your dreams" thing. It will get opened the night my bar opens.
    You will have to let us know where/when the bar opens. The official PP.O bar, I'm sure the games will be playing there. Good luck!

  9. #19
    ryanmurphy is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    391

    Re: Does anyone brew their own beer?

    Thanks man... I appreciate it... Sorry if I post whore a little on this, but you guys really hit on a passion of mine. Here is some advice for ya CPepNSalt:

    1) Do your first batch EXACTALLY as the directions say to.

    2) Im not sure what kind of kit you have, but if its a Mr Beer, use it a couple of times and move on. I have never personally used it, but some friends have, and it is kind of limiting.

    3) If you decide that this is something that you enjoy, invest in some equiptment. You can get some really good stuff for around $300. (including ingredients)

    Things you HAVE to have to get serious...

    1) Cleanser... Everything must be 100% clean and free of bacteria. This is the biggest mistake people make.

    2) A plastic 5 gallon bucket for primary fermentation.

    3) A glass carbouy for secondary fermentation

    4) A hydrometer to measure specific gravity (this will give you your alcohol %)

    5) Glass bottles and a bottle capper. (Dont waste your time with plastic or screw-offs. They allow bacteria in).

    6) Always use liquid yeast, not powdered

    Like i said, do your first batch exactly like the directions say. (I assume your kit came with ingredients for your 1st batch). Then find a homebrew supply store either locally or on-line, and order a couple recipe kits, and follow their directions. Then order the recipe kits and modify the directions a little bit. Once you know what gives this flavor, and what does this, and what does that is when the real fun begins. Then go to the supply store and just buy ingredients for your own brand. (Give me 2lbs of this grain, and 1lb of that barley, and these hopps, etc)

    Last... Dont be discouraged if a batch doesnt turn out. Its not as easy as mix this, this, and this and you have beer. There is skill involved, and like anything else, it only comes with practice. Again, feel free to PM me if you need any info, ideas, or advise. ===>Ryan

  10. #20
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    9,513

    Re: Does anyone brew their own beer?

    If anyone needs a proven beer tester, please feel free to ask me....

    I've never made brew, but I've been known to put more than my share down over the years.

    Plus I've traveled the world some, trying beers in all countrys visited..

    Philippines- San Miguel Beer

    Germany- Klulem Ice Bock (My favorite) But way to many other great beers to name...

    Singapour,Japan, Thailand, China - Hong Kong, Luxemburg, England, France....


    Oh yea, and Canada - Some really good beers there to be had also..

    So, If you want to send me a six-pack to try out, I'de be more than happy to post a report on what my taste buds, and brain cells have to say..

    Cheers, Skol, Prost,....
    Viking Ned


    I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A MUST Have for anyone with a beer tap
    By i_bleed_purple in forum Tix & Such
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2008, 02:58 AM
  2. thanks for the brew!
    By norseforce in forum Free Beer!
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-29-2006, 09:00 PM
  3. Steinlager Brew
    By PacNWVike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2006, 07:04 PM
  4. Where's my beer???
    By mrswebby in forum Free Beer!
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-29-2005, 05:35 AM
  5. New Brew Coming to PPD!
    By ultravikingfan in forum Free Beer!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 11:26 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •