Doctor Who: The Thread

Figured I might as well start a thread dedicated to this show, since I talk about it in the BY often enough. Anyone else who likes this show is welcome to talk with me about it too.

And now, a tip for Doctor Who fans of all stripes:

Those looking to have a fun time right at home can pop in their DVD of "The Five Doctors" and play the Game of Rassilon. Get a bottle of your liquor of choice and take a shot every time someone says "Rassilon." Be prepared to wake up the next morning with the Hangover of Rassilon. And with the Puke of Rassilon all over your Shirt of Rassilon.
    "I can't stand burnt toast. I loathe bus stations: terrible places, full of lost luggage and lost souls. And then there's unrequited love, and tyranny, and cruelty. We all have a world of our own terrors to face."
    - The Doctor

Re: Doctor Who: The Thread

Jon Pertwee ROCKING THE FUCK OUT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pKNmjMeZ6Q
    "I can't stand burnt toast. I loathe bus stations: terrible places, full of lost luggage and lost souls. And then there's unrequited love, and tyranny, and cruelty. We all have a world of our own terrors to face."
    - The Doctor

Whoops. Didn't mean to do this.
    - The Doctor

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I think people are waiting to see where this thread is going before replying.
    We're bringing purple back.

Nah, that was just referring to that particular post, which I made by accident.

On a related topic, here's a quote from a PM conversation I had with a friend on Facebook. It was the Saturday before Labor Day, and I had recently gotten back from a party. (Needless to say, I was pretty damn hammered). The conversation ended up turning to Doctor Who. I ended up saying this pretty much unprompted:

The Eric Saward Cybermen are FUCKING GAY. They're fucking stupid and talk like Darth Vadder's [sic] gay brother. Gaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygay
    I'm so eloquent when I've had a pint or twelve. Though apparently, I'm just as big of a nerd. I wish I had told my friend what I REALLY thought though.

(And for the record, I don't use the term "gay" in that way - I think it's a sign of ignorance and lack of imagination. At least, I don't when I'm sober. And that, my friends, is why I restrict my drinking to holidays only).
    - The Doctor

But never mind embarrassing chat quotes, here's the legendary and terrifying Myrka:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K-Qpamlhu4

That's one of the things I love about Doctor Who. In what other show could you see a woman delivering a poorly-choreographed karate kick to a pantomime lizard?
    - The Doctor

ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler

That should be "How NOT to defend yourself against a Myrka attack"...she pretty much got OWNED.

On a semi-related side note...has there ever been a Dr. Who movie, or even an episode on MST3K?

No - they'd never be able to afford the rights, for one. They made a few references to it (if I recall correctly, in Overdrawn at the Memory Bank there's a shot that resembles the Tom Baker-era opening credits, and Crow says "Doctor Who...the hell cares?")

I'd love it if Mike, Kevin, and Bill would do a Rifftrax of it. No rights problems there.
    - The Doctor

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Back in the 80s I was working in Aspen, CO and this was the show that we watched while 'on the job'. I'm pretty sure we smoked 20 bongs before it started and it seemed to make perfect sense...especially when accompanied by The Velvet Underground with Lou Reed miraculously surviving his life of decadence while Timothy Leary played the kazoo in the hallway.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Yeah, my dad was pretty much the same way (though he never said it directly, it's pretty fucking obvious that he was smoking pot when he watched it).

I mean, with guys of a certain age (er...not to imply that you're old or anything, Prophet), you can pretty much introduce the show like this:

Okay, think back to your college years. It's one in the morning, and you're as baked as a potato. Your TV is tuned to PBS. Y'know that show that was on? Yeah, that's the show I watch.
    - The Doctor