Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Do you consider golf a sport?

"vikingTurf" wrote:
    "johnnyreeferseed" wrote:
    Golf, tennis, NASCAR, bowling, etc....maybe sports, but they're not worth the time they get on TV. Does anybody actually watch golf or tennis? The only reason to watch tennis, is if there's some hot chicks playing. Golf chicks mostly look like dudes so there's no reason to watch them.

The only sports that really matter are football, boxing and hockey
    ok, if u say so. BTW, you are talking about lawn hockey right.
    ;D
    No, Pasture Pool.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The funniest clip I have every seen about golf is Robin Williams explaining the origins of the sport:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3636435540043947603
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

MaddenVodkaAddict is offline Coordinator

If anything on ESPN is considered a "sport" (i.e. competitive eating, poker), then yes, golf is indeed a sport.
    I Love Kerry Collins (and John Rocker).

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"ryanmurphy" wrote:
    Anything that you can participate in while drinking beer at the same time is not a sport...
    That said, I have a tremendous amount of respect for anyone that strives to be the best at what they do.
    "The" wrote:
    I think you should differentiate between "sports" and "games." A sport is something that takes athletic ability,and is also competitive. A game, on the other hand, does not necessarily require athletic abitlity, but does require skill and competitiveness.

Simply put, if a fat drunkard like John Daly (God bless him) can play golf, it's a game, not a sport. Same goes for bowling, pool, poker, and curling, all of which one may perform better at if drinking is involved (Lord knows I do). In fact, perhaps that's a good barometer for sport: if you can do it while drinking, it ain't a sport.
    As for NASCAR, it is neither a game nor a sport. It is mindless entertainment (and would probably be infinitely more entertaining if all the participants were as hammered as the hillbillies that watch it).
    You can participate in basketball, football or any other sport (even, heaven forbid, NASCAR) while drinking, you just might not be able to do it well. I have seen plenty of guys drink on the golf course, but have yet to see one of them play well.

And you can't really use that analogy, look at Tommy Kramer. He played football all the time when he was drunk. He probably took about 5 sober snaps in his whole career, so the drinking analogy doesn't work.

DPep11 is offline Asst. Coach

Golf is a sport and a very hard one at that. You have to pretty much have your body fine tuned and automatic every swing if you want to play well.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I also don't necessarly know about saying golf does not take any athletic ability.
    I know the first time I go hit the range in the spring, I'll hit about 200 balls, and the next day I can definately tell that my back and sides got a workout!

Anyway, debates like this are silly.
    Is it a sport?
    Yes, by defination it is.
    sport (spôrt, sp?rt) n. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
    Some people may not like golf (or curling, or bowling, etc), but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is a sport.
    For that matter, golf (and curling, and bowling, etc) all have national competition committees with the NCAA, championship events and titles, and many if not most D1 schools have teams.
    If that doesn't demonstrate it as a sport, I don't what does.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234