Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    DNA Pioneer says Blacks Genetically Less Smart

    This guy must want to get his butt kicked!

    http://www.topix.net/afam/2007/10/dna-pioneer-says-blacks-are-genetically-less-smart-tells-uk-newspaper-whites-are-more-intelligent

    Don't shoot the messenger...since I don't agree with what he says.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  2. #2
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: DNA Pioneer says Blacks Genetically Less Smart

    “All our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really,” Watson told the newspaper. He recognized that the prevailing belief was that all human groups are equal, but that "people who have to deal with black employees find this not true."
    Holy shit.

    I don't even know where to start.
    Is it possible to revoke this idiot's Nobel Prize?
    I wold like to know what he is defining as "intelligence" anyway, since in the field of psychology this is disputed.
    Crap, I want the three minutes of my life back that I wasted reading that article.

    Caj, I agree with you, this guy needs his ass kicked.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #3
    pack93z's Avatar
    pack93z is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,465

    Re: DNA Pioneer says Blacks Genetically Less Smart

    Sometimes admitting you are part of the human race is embarrassing... after reading this gents garbage... It is one of those times.



  4. #4
    baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,065

    Re: DNA Pioneer says Blacks Genetically Less Smart

    It's that hip hop I tell ya!

    Seriously though, that's a pretty bold claim to make. If he just went to places that had poor employees (ie fast food) you would find a lot of management unhappy with their employees. To singe out black people isn't fair. I bet he could go to a hospital or law firm and have the management say great things about their black employees. Maybe he could even hear it from a black manager or two...

  5. #5
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is online now Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,540

    Re: DNA Pioneer says Blacks Genetically Less Smart



    I can't even believe he went as far as to say that about employers and black employees... Wow...

    I guess they're giving out Nobel prizes in cereal boxes nowadays.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  6. #6
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: DNA Pioneer says Blacks Genetically Less Smart

    "baumy300" wrote:
    It's that hip hop I tell ya!

    Seriously though, that's a pretty bold claim to make. If he just went to places that had poor employees (ie fast food) you would find a lot of management unhappy with their employees. To singe out black people isn't fair. I bet he could go to a ... law firm and have the management say great things about their black employees. Maybe he could even hear it from a black manager or two...
    OR from a black partner!

    Heck, my nephew's wife is an African-American law student at Duke Law (top 10 school) and she EARNED her spot there.
    I guess that Dr. Watson didn't include her in his study.
    Maybe he needs Sherlock Holmes to give him a clue?


    Most other scientist would do a much more broad study before you make those ludicrous claims...one small study isn't gonna set the standard...it's Elementary, my dear Watson!

    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  7. #7
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is online now Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,540

    Re: DNA Pioneer says Blacks Genetically Less Smart

    "cajunvike" wrote:
    Most other scientist would do a much more broad study before you make those ludicrous claims...one small study isn't gonna set the standard...it's Elementary, my dear Watson!
    You hit the nail on the head there Cajun. Being a scientist, and a Nobel prize winner at that, I am surprised that he didn't have years of study and piles of evidence to back up a claim like that... I mean, it is called the "Scientific Method"

    He just blurted out an opinion, and a very uneducated and uninformed opinion at that.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,206

    Re: DNA Pioneer says Blacks Genetically Less Smart

    Well, this is one guys misguided opinion.

    Here's how he reached it:
    -he sees that african-americans are getting lower test scores in the US
    -he doesn't get a lot of african-american applicants for his lab

    From that, he concludes that blacks are not as intelligent based on their underlying genetic makeup.

    That's just a leap in reasoning that makes little to no sense.


    I suppose it's a possible conclusion based on his evidence (that is, not ruled out by it), but based on what is readily apparent to everyone, it's not likely.
    Try looking at test scores and other measurables for african-americans growing up in good school districts, or comparing blacks in European countries in which the social situations might not be so distorted to people of other races in those same areas.


    Even if the social evidence supported his idea, it's still not proof of any genetic trait.
    As a geneticist, if he wants to make this claim he should be pointing out a specific chromosome/sequence/whatever responsible for the development of certain brain functions or areas.
    Then he should explain what differences exist and how those are likely to affect intelligence.
    He hasn't done this.
    My guess is no one ever will do this successfully, because it's difficult to prove what isn't there.

    This is a great example of why people need to look at these things rationally no matter who says what.
    This guy has a lot of credibility in the field of genetics, yet still manages to say something that is pretty irrational.
    There will be people that see this and think it must be true because a Nobel Prize winning geneticist said it.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

  9. #9
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: DNA Pioneer says Blacks Genetically Less Smart

    "Overlord" wrote:
    Well, this is one guys misguided opinion.

    Here's how he reached it:
    -he sees that african-americans are getting lower test scores in the US
    -he doesn't get a lot of african-american applicants for his lab

    From that, he concludes that blacks are not as intelligent based on their underlying genetic makeup.

    That's just a leap in reasoning that makes little to no sense.


    I suppose it's a possible conclusion based on his evidence (that is, not ruled out by it), but based on what is readily apparent to everyone, it's not likely.
    Try looking at test scores and other measurables for african-americans growing up in good school districts, or comparing blacks in European countries in which the social situations might not be so distorted to people of other races in those same areas.


    Even if the social evidence supported his idea, it's still not proof of any genetic trait.
    As a geneticist, if he wants to make this claim he should be pointing out a specific chromosome/sequence/whatever responsible for the development of certain brain functions or areas.
    Then he should explain what differences exist and how those are likely to affect intelligence.
    He hasn't done this.
    My guess is no one ever will do this successfully, because it's difficult to prove what isn't there.

    This is a great example of why people need to look at these things rationally no matter who says what.
    This guy has a lot of credibility in the field of genetics, yet still manages to say something that is pretty irrational.
    There will be people that see this and think it must be true because a Nobel Prize winning geneticist said it.
    Yup.
    Perfect example of someone using correlational data (weak correlational data at that) to try an imply causation.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  10. #10
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re: DNA Pioneer says Blacks Genetically Less Smart

    This drivel doesn't belong here.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. This in From Pioneer Press...UHOH!
    By nephilimstorm in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 03:56 PM
  2. How Smart Are You Anyway
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-26-2007, 04:39 PM
  3. We're smart!
    By PurpleAndy in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-12-2005, 07:30 PM
  4. Fun Article from Pioneer Press
    By dart18 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 06:58 PM
  5. All Blacks in for a shock....
    By AngloVike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 11:28 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •